Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-05-2012, 04:02 AM   #1
aza
aza began at the beginning.

Device: none
Unhappy Hi,Hi,have a problem with calibre,help please!

I use calibre 7.24. For about a year now. i use windows 7 but its always fine.But about a week ago. i open calibre but when i try to convert or give it any order its not responding and my notebook freeze. i had to restart.
this happen a couple of time. then when i open calibre again there is a message that my file was corrupted. i can try to repaired. so i click yes to repaired. but then there's a message thaht it cant be repaired, calibre will make new library. so click yes. but when i open calibre again its not responding and my computer freeze.
so, i give up. i uninstall calibre. then install my previous version calibre 7.24. but its happen again. calibre not responding then my computer freeze.
so, i uninstall again then install the latest calibre portable. but the same thing happen again.
so i unintall it again then install calibre 8.20 msi but the same thing happen again.

Please help. i would like to use calibre to convert my file etc. thank you very much.
aza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Try deleteing calibre config folder.
User>appdata>roaming>calibre
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 01:01 AM   #3
aza
aza began at the beginning.

Device: none
hi

i've done that but still everytime i open calibre my computer freeze. and there a massage,should run disk checking,cos says there is inconsistency.(have not run disk check yet)
aza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:18 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If your machine is freezing (not just Calibre) then you have something seriously wrong either at the hardware or system software level. That needs to be resolved before you try and sort out Calibre.

I would suggest doing things like:
- doing a memory (RAM) test using something like memtest86+
- doing a hard disk check including checking for bad sectors.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:38 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Cooling failures is another big cause.
Lint clogged fins and grilles.
Slow or stopped fan blades (common locations: PSU, CPU, Case, Chipset and Video card.
If your computer sits on the floor, these need to be checked as often as every 6 months for good cooling performance. Heat is the Enemy
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #6
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by aza View Post
i've done that but still everytime i open calibre my computer freeze. and there a massage,should run disk checking,cos says there is inconsistency.(have not run disk check yet)
Before you do *anything* else, make a backup of your Calibre Library directory, including metadata.db, to an usb stick or something. This backup can likely be opened as a library in, or in worst case imported to, a working Calibre installation on another computer. You probably don't want to lose your library if your hard drive goes belly-up

It's a very good idea to do this regularly in any case.
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote