Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 09-24-2007, 01:58 PM   #1
JackZander
JackZander began at the beginning.

Device: Goodlink
Goodlink vs. Microsoft Exchange

Hello everyone,

I work for a small company. Some employees are equipped with a Goodlink PDA and are unsatisfied with it. We now consider changing to another provider that also provides the push email functionality.

I found Microsoft Exchange as a good alternative but am I not sure about it.

Can somebody explain the differences between Goodlink and Microsoft Exchange. Can somebody recommend me something else?
What about ActiveSync?

Many Thanks, Johannes
Old 09-24-2007, 11:22 PM   #2
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
What serves the mail in the first place, and what are the users unhappy with?

Goodlink is Motorola "push" technology for email and RSS on mobile devices.
http://www.good.com/corp/index.php

Exchange Server is Microsoft's back-end email server and mail transfer agent.
http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/default.mspx

Active Sync is Microsoft's synchronization software for mobile devices:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobi...c/default.mspx

Goodlink can work with Exchange Server as the email source, but is not tied to it.

I don't believe Active Sync includes push features.
______
Dennis
Old 09-25-2007, 07:59 AM   #3
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
I remember from some MS conferences I attended before leaving the states a year ago, that Exchange, coupled with the latest Windows Mobile device, could push email directly to the device. Not only that, but Exchange Admins could send out a special *wipe* command in the event that someone lost/misplaced/ or had their device stolen or refresh the device back to normal if the device was found by the individual.

It's been a little while and we didn't adopt the system prior to my departure, but it was set to compete with Blackberry.