Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 03-04-2007, 11:17 AM   #1
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Any way to make MobileRead more PDA friendly?

I've been struggling to get the MobileRead site to show up well in iSilo (see January thread in iSilo forum).

I tried https://www.mobileread.com/feeds/23_rss20.xml and
https://www.mobileread.com/feeds/34_rss20.xml

and while I can get the pages, the result isn't particularly user friendly!

When I click on an article link on the opening page, it goes to a page that has the article's text but it's way down on the page, 7-11 taps down. (And you know how spoiled we get in the PDA world--we want instant tap gratification!@)

Ironically, mobileread is now just about the only site I can't get working mobilely with a Palm!

(I tried enabling tables in iSilo which reduces the number of taps but then the text is partly off the screen, requiring scrolls left and right!)

It could be that I still haven't figured out the right settings in iSilo, although I have tried several different settings.

Maybe this is simply a limit in how the RSS feed is set up. Is there a more PDA friendly version of the site? A link or different address? Appreciate any help.
robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 12:06 PM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
We're a little behind the times, but we will catch up!

Yeah, kind of embarrassing since we are all about mobile reading! But there are changes in progress for a new site design to be built with the mobile access in mind. And there also a MobileRead magazine in the works with all the MR contents in easy to convert format.

But these things do take time and a lot of work, so please be patient. Alex has done such a good job of making everything very practical, clean and usable, and we don't want to lose that in the new design. Be assured he hasn't forgotten about mobile devices! I'll leave any other tidbits to Alex to share in time, but he's pretty amazing so I'm sure we'll be delighted with whatever he ends up bringing us.

In the meantime, I think we'd all be interested to hear about solutions others may have come up with...
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 01:50 PM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I will come up with something by this weekend.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:36 PM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
First a newsletter and now MR, the Magazine. Wow, this place just gets better and better. Can I get Alex and all to autograph my copy of the magazine?
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:06 PM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Heh A paper magazine, eh? That would be kinda retro given our focus here...

I haven't been around for a few weeks, and I am happy to be back now!
Old 03-06-2007, 03:20 PM   #6
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I was thinking more of a signed electronic copy.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:42 AM   #7
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks! Look forward to the redesign. Nice to hear about... and thanks for all the hard work, tips, news, etc. It's appreciated!
robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:22 AM   #8
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I sometimes use mobileread.com with my mobile phone (Fujitsu-Siemens T830) and it works brilliantly for me. I never treid the RSS thing, but the "mobile version" of the forum seems to be fine.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 02:37 PM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

We're still on it and cannot wait to introduce http://www.mobileread.mobi to you.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:35 AM   #10
memobug
Connoisseur
memobug began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500/PRS-505/Kindle DX/iPhone 3G
robinson,

In the meantime, try:

http://www.skweezer.net/skweeze.aspx?q=mobileread.com

Alexander,

it's pretty easy to create an alternate, PDA-friendly template style for this particular forum software. It would need to be installed by a user with admin privileges, though, and the main key is get away from having the user detail on the left margin, going to a style that has just the user title across the top, inline with the message, and no avatars, with only text links on the attachments.

Regards,

Matt
memobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:46 AM   #11
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Thanks for the tip, Matt! Yes, we could/should install a mobile style for our forum software soon. Unfortunately, we are still not up-to-date with our current software and I am waiting for our designer to finish his work before a major upgrade here. After that we can install the mobile style.

Simultaneously we are working on a separate mobile version of MobileRead that is more suitable for offline readers (those who download content and read it afterwards on the device). Something like "last 10 posts" or "top posts of the day" ... Unfortunately I am so booked with stuff that I haven't been able to finish it yet.

To speed things up: If someone of you guys is fluent in xhtml+css, wants to earn a few bucks and perhaps a lovely permanent link from MobileRead, drop me a mail.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:51 PM   #12
memobug
Connoisseur
memobug began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500/PRS-505/Kindle DX/iPhone 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic

Simultaneously we are working on a separate mobile version of MobileRead that is more suitable for offline readers (those who download content and read it afterwards on the device). Something like "last 10 posts" or "top posts of the day" ... Unfortunately I am so booked with stuff that I haven't been able to finish it yet.

To speed things up: If someone of you guys is fluent in xhtml+css, wants to earn a few bucks and perhaps a lovely permanent link from MobileRead, drop me a mail.
It wasn't easy, but I finished it... Just Paypal the cash to the usual address

http://mobileread.com/forums/external.php?type=rss

Seriously there are a lot of things built into VB.

Regards,

Matt
memobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:17 PM   #13
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by memobug
It wasn't easy, but I finished it... Just Paypal the cash to the usual address

http://mobileread.com/forums/external.php?type=rss

Seriously there are a lot of things built into VB.

Regards,

Matt
Thanks for the suggestion Matt. We are aware of vB's RSS capabilities... also check out this page. But we'd like to go one step further and design full-featured websites for mobile devices. Most likely this will happen in a second step after we've revised our website.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:26 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Any more news on the officially "mobile" version of MobileRead, Alexander?

They just foisted a giant Crackberry on my and took away my reasonable sized pager, I'd like to get some sort of use out of the trade.

(I see you've added yet more new smilies )
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:04 PM   #15
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
First a newsletter and now MR, the Magazine. Wow, this place just gets better and better. Can I get Alex and all to autograph my copy of the magazine?
Wow! Will it have a centerfold?

Seriously though, I have been using Plucker to generate offline reading for my Palm. It doesn't seem to digest the RSS feeds supported here. It will convert an HTML web page just fine.

Does anyone have a tip? Is there another Palm app that will convert MR's RSS feeds?
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote