Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 04-24-2007, 12:20 AM   #16
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Thanks Kov.

Turns out there's a quick reference online that is far better than the one I linked above. I figured out a lot of stuff, including how to implement my curly quote algorithm. Now I can move on to questions more directly related to pylrs.

I have two questions off the bat...

(1) How do you set the BOTTOM MARGIN in pylrs?

Using the default Text and Page objects, the text flows beyond the end of the screen, leaving the last sentence on the page partially obscured. I've been able to set top and side margin, but not bottom. If you add more text to the formatting.py example, you will see this behaviour.

(2) Anyone know what font size matches that of makelrf3?

For me, makelrf3 had the font size bullseyed... even better than the Sony Connect books. Pylrs uses a font that's too big for my tastes.

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:24 AM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I've added support for inline graphics to pylrs. Attached is a demo with the python code to create it.

@Falstaff The patch is available at
pylrs.py
https://libprs500.kovidgoyal.net/cha...lrs.py&new=235
pylrf.py
https://libprs500.kovidgoyal.net/cha...lrf.py&new=235

Here's the python code to create helloworld.lrf
Code:
from libprs500.lrf.pylrs.pylrs import *

"""
    TextBlocks can be added to any page at any time, since the entire book is
    kept in memory.  Text can also be added to any paragraph at any time.
"""

def helloworld():
    # create the book
    book = Book()

# add a page to the book using the default page style
    page = book.Page()
    page.TextBlock().Paragraph('Demonstration of embedded graphics').CR()

# add a textblock to the page using defaults for TextStyle and BlockStyle 
    textBlock = page.TextBlock()
    textBlock.blockStyle = BlockStyle(blockrule='horz-fixed', blockwidth='575')

# add a paragraph to the text block 
    istr = ImageStream('/tmp/try/cherubs.jpg')
    im = Image(istr, x0=0, y0=0, x1=300, y1=300, xsize=100, ysize=100)
    p = Paragraph('This line of text is before the graphic. ')
    dc = DrawChar(lines=3)
    dc.append(Plot(im, xsize=450, ysize=450))
    p.append(dc)
    textBlock.append(p)
    textBlock.Paragraph('This line of text is after the graphic. It needs to be long enough to ensure that the graphic is not cut-off.')

# generate the lrf file
    book.renderLrs("/tmp/helloworld.lrs")
    book.renderLrf("/home/kovid/helloworld.lrf")

if __name__ == "__main__":
    helloworld()
Attached Files
File Type: lrf helloworld.lrf (20.4 KB, 356 views)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2007, 01:02 PM   #18
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie
(1) How do you set the BOTTOM MARGIN in pylrs?

Using the default Text and Page objects, the text flows beyond the end of the screen, leaving the last sentence on the page partially obscured. I've been able to set top and side margin, but not bottom. If you add more text to the formatting.py example, you will see this behaviour.
I use the following code to keep the text from creeping off the edges.
Code:
Book(pagestyledefault=dict(textwidth=575, textheight=747))
Alternatively, if you use the pylrs from the libprs500 svn the defaults have been fixed to prevent this.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 04-24-2007 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:04 PM   #19
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Here's a more complete example of using inline images. I had to Refactor the inheritance rules in pylrs a bit.

Code:
from libprs500.lrf.pylrs.pylrs import *

"""
    TextBlocks can be added to any page at any time, since the entire book is
    kept in memory.  Text can also be added to any paragraph at any time.
"""

def helloworld():
    book = Book()
    istr = ImageStream('/tmp/try/cherubs.jpg')
    im = Image(istr, x0=0, y0=0, x1=300, y1=300, xsize=100, ysize=100)

page = book.Page()
    page.TextBlock().Paragraph(Span('Demonstration of embedded graphics', fontsize='180')).CR()
    p = page.TextBlock().Paragraph('The image: ')
    p.append(Plot(im, xsize=550, ysize=550))
    page.TextBlock(TextStyle(), BlockStyle(blockrule='vert-fixed'))    
    page.TextBlock().Paragraph(Bold('Drop caps')).CR()
    textBlock = page.TextBlock()
    textBlock.blockStyle = BlockStyle(blockrule='horz-fixed', blockwidth='575')
    p = Paragraph('This line of text is before the graphic. ')
    dc = DropCaps(lines=3)
    dc.append(Plot(im, xsize=450, ysize=450))
    p.append(dc)
    textBlock.append(p)
    textBlock.Paragraph('This line of text is after the graphic. It needs to be long enough to ensure that the graphic is not cut-off.')
    page.TextBlock().Paragraph(Bold('Inline graphic')).CR()
    page.TextBlock(TextStyle(), BlockStyle(blockrule='vert-fixed'))
    tb = page.TextBlock()

p = tb.Paragraph('This line of text is before the graphic.')
    p.append(Plot(im, xsize=350, ysize=350))
    p.append('This line of text is after the graphic.')

book.renderLrs("/tmp/helloworld.lrs")
    book.renderLrf("/home/kovid/helloworld.lrf")

if __name__ == "__main__":
    helloworld()
Attached Files
File Type: lrf helloworld.lrf (21.9 KB, 350 views)
Old 04-24-2007, 09:04 PM   #20
Falstaff
Falstaff has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Falstaff has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Falstaff has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony eReader
Nice work, kovidgoyal. I didn't look too closely yet, but I think you might have replaced the LrsDrawChar class -- this class is used to control what can nest inside of other classes (following the LRS specification). As I see you found out, the LRS spec uses the word DrawChar for two different things. I think there needs to be both the DrawChar class that you wrote and the empty LrsDrawChar that is used to enforce the nesting rules from the LRS spec.

LrsDrawChar and LrsSimpleChar1 are used just to identify the different types of things so that the code can complain if you try to put a LrsDrawChar where only a LrsSimpleChar1 is allowed. I forget why, but I didn't need LrsSimpleChar2...

I should have put in some comments to explain that strange usage of the empty classes. But I didn't. Sorry.
Falstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2007, 09:33 PM   #21
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Thanks. Yeah in svn I've renamed DrawChar to DropCaps. I didn't put back LrsDrawChar though. As far as I can tell things work with just LrsSimpleChar1. At some point I should go through all the inheritance rules carefully and fix things.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:07 AM   #22
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
Falstaff, can you create some sort of "official" development area where patches could be sent? You have the original release, I have the same (with a few minor changes) and looks like kovidgoyal has a more different version ...
ashkulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:35 PM   #23
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkulz
Falstaff, can you create some sort of "official" development area where patches could be sent? You have the original release, I have the same (with a few minor changes) and looks like kovidgoyal has a more different version ...
I can volunteer my SVN server.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:50 PM   #24
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@Falstaff
I made some more changes to pylrs for functionality I needed in html2lrf
Here's the combined diff
https://libprs500.kovidgoyal.net/cha...%2Flrf%2Fpylrs
Old 04-28-2007, 02:45 AM   #25
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Does pylrs have a function to add a per-page heading, like books from the CONNECT store? The CONNET store books have a the book title at the top/right of the page in small text. Very handy.

-Pie
Old 04-28-2007, 02:01 PM   #26
EatingPie
Blueberry!

Another Python question.

Unicode characters (binary) kill my app. Is there a way to convert unicode to text? Or to convert unicode to Pythons u"\0020" format?

-Pie
Old 04-29-2007, 06:50 PM   #27
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

yes it does have support for headers. See html2lrf
Old 04-29-2007, 08:52 PM   #28
EatingPie
Blueberry!

I think I'm missing something here...

I have HTMLtoLRF-1.0 and it's a C++ program that requires a Windows DLL. Is there another version?

Also, I think I need some explanation of libprs500 vs. pylrf-1.0.0. You've mentioned the former several times in this thread. What's the difference between these two libraries? Is libprs500 an extension of pylrf-1.0.0?

-Pie
Old 04-30-2007, 02:04 PM   #29
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie
I think I'm missing something here...

I have HTMLtoLRF-1.0 and it's a C++ program that requires a Windows DLL. Is there another version?

Also, I think I need some explanation of libprs500 vs. pylrf-1.0.0. You've mentioned the former several times in this thread. What's the difference between these two libraries? Is libprs500 an extension of pylrf-1.0.0?

-Pie
libprs500 is my set of python tools for working with the SONY reader. It includes converters called html2lrf and txt2lrf. The converters are based on an improved version of pylrs.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:56 PM   #30
EatingPie
Blueberry!

In figuring out the header stuff, I did some diffs between libprs500's pylrs and Falstaff's pylrs-1.0.0. Are there any plans to merge the codebases?

I didn't do extensive diffing, but it looks like Kovidgoyal added the pylrs-1.0.0 -- for example Image support -- rather than making changes to existing code. I think it would benefit the community extensively to have an update to the pylrs code base with Kovidgoyal's changes.

-Pie