Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 03-21-2008, 05:56 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Question about FBReader on Nokia N800

I bought a used N800 for a project. I installed FBReader on it, and then copied over all my nonDRM Mobipocket ebooks.

Here is my question: How do I add all the ebooks to the library at once? It looks like I can only add one ebook at a time.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:14 PM   #2
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Sorry to say, there is no mass-add feature that I know of. With certain ebook formats, FBReader can read the metadata and display those ebooks in the library automatically. Mobi isn't one of them. This is one of the many little things that could stand improvement in FBReader.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2008, 08:21 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
One good source of info about FBReader on N800, is FBReader on Nokia 770 (Maemo 1.1) – Part I and Part II. This is the 770, rather than a N800, and it is a bit out of date but still mostly relevant.

The very latest versions of FBReader (since 0.8.10) will add MOBI books automatically to your library. To do this the e-books need to be in your e-book "path". The above Part I link says this is: ~/MyDocs/Books:/media/mmc1/Books by default, but this can be changed under Options (Tool Icon) -> General tab (see the 6th image in Part I - note that clicking on an image brings it up full size).

Adding MOBI books automatically will work best if they are in the most recent version of MOBI, rather than the older metadata-poor version. See PRC to MOBI, where I recommend using mobi2mobi to update old PRC/MOBI files. On a Windows PC, there is also Mobi2Mobi GUI.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:15 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Thanks, everyone.

For some reason, FBReader doesn't like it when I rename the folder away from */mmc1/Books. I tried several times. Eventually it occurred to me to rename my folder to what FBReader wanted to see. And then it found all my ebooks.

Thanks again.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:52 AM   #5
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
nate:

did you ever get this issue resolved? I did notice you wrote that you set the default directory to:

*/mmc1/Books

ummmm...that woluld not work as far as I know. But you can set FBR to directly read the card at:

/media/mmc1/Books

And of course there is the option to search subdirectories. And a couple other settings I had not noticed prior to the current /new version that was released within the past couple weeks as I recall.

The newest version seems to do an excellent job picking up the meta-data in most books now. I am not thrilled with the way it displays the library but it's serviceable.

But just thought I would mention the dir name thing as I am pretty sure using the '*' char is not a great idea in Linux or maybe it is simply ignored...who the heck knows with -ix most of the time...

EDIT: d'oh!! I mis-read your post...you wrote you have prbs setting to anything BUT the default setting...interesting because I have not had that problem yet. I just tried to setup a different default and it worked OK...I think anyway...

Last edited by brecklundin; 04-02-2008 at 12:55 AM.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2008, 01:15 AM   #6
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
just a fast followup. I did change the default dir and put nothing in it...and that is what I got when I opened the library. Well, almost nothing. I did have one Eric Flint book that I added some custom tags and a series to that stayed in the old/default directory that remained in the library list.

And these changes were reflected with the app already running all I needed to do was tap the "library" icon and that forced a rebuild of the library.

So, I am guessing that once certain tags and such are added the books will remain no matter what but you can also set a different default directory with no problem in at least this newest version I have 0.8.12 (March 23, 2008)
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote