Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #16
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Just change your address to a UK one and make that your bookstore. No need to mess around with gift cards etc.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #17
PocketGoddess
Connoisseur
PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, KSO, Nook, iPad
Understood, Susan--I was trying to purchase a UK giftcard on amazon.co.uk.
PocketGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #18
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
You can't use a US gift card on a British account.
Wow. Glad i just stumbled onto this thread, as I had no idea.

I'm in the same quandary as the OP - the 11th book out of a 13 book series (an historical chronicle) is only available in the UK. :banghead:

I have a local friend from there, and thought that could help somehow, but she isn't an ereader. Argh.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:08 PM   #19
PocketGoddess
Connoisseur
PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
Just change your address to a UK one and make that your bookstore. No need to mess around with gift cards etc.
I did that to avoid numerous foreign transaction fees on my credit card. When the gift card got held up, I tried to purchase one of the books I wanted, but I was then prompted to convert my entire Amazon account over to the UK site--which would have been fine for books, but I would have lost all of my music, all of my purchased videos, etc.

I said "no" and promptly tried to forget the whole thing, but now my regular US Amazon account is on hold--guess they didn't like what I was trying to do. Hopefully it's all cleared up soon, they said within 24 hours, but I'm afraid I may really have messed things up, and may lose *everything* -- which is an outcome I don't even want to contemplate.

Who knew that e-reading could be so dangerous?
Old 12-04-2012, 09:12 PM   #20
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
^ Umm, wow, let us know what happens.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2012, 10:45 PM   #21
PocketGoddess
Connoisseur

And. . . we're back!

Seems that the Amazon folks were being overprotective, and thought that someone had hacked into my account. Took them nine hours, but I have full access now and it seems that everything is good.

The bad news is that I have to give up on reading though three UK-only Kindle books, which makes me very sad. One of the titles is over $300 for a *used* paperback copy, which is well past my budget, especially considering that the UK Kindle version is less than 10 pounds.

Unfortunately I don't have any friends in the UK, so I'm out of luck--no one to send them to me. Hopefully my experiences have been at least a little instructive for others. The moral of this story is that if you want to read books that aren't available in your home country's Kindle store, it probably isn't worth the risk of losing your Amazon account to read them!
Old 12-04-2012, 11:00 PM   #22
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Hmm, thanks for reporting back. You did no manage to get the UK books on your kindle at all then? I think I'll register one of my older kindles in a European store. I read in various languages, and some of the books I want are not available in the US store.

Weird, some people go back and forth all the time.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:09 PM   #23
PocketGoddess
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Hmm, thanks for reporting back. You did no manage to get the UK books on your kindle at all then? I think I'll register one of my older kindles in a European store. I read in various languages, and some of the books I want are not available in the US store.

Weird, some people go back and forth all the time.
They do, but I don't recall seeing anyone from the US go back and forth--the reports were from elsewhere in Europe, the Middle East, etc.

No UK books for me. :_( This whole odyssey started because I was browsing the bestseller lists and stumbled on a book I would LOVE to read, then found that it was only available in the UK. What is was doing on the USA amazon.com bestseller list, I'll never understand.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #24
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
PocketGoddess,
If you have a Nook, why not try checking out if you can buy the book on Kobo UK? I have a Kobo normal account and then I also registered one more account *different email, same credit card* and bought a UK only epub from them?

After I got the book, I deleted my CC details on the UK account, but I am still registered there as well as on my regular account.
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #25
PocketGoddess
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
PocketGoddess,
If you have a Nook, why not try checking out if you can buy the book on Kobo UK? I have a Kobo normal account and then I also registered one more account *different email, same credit card* and bought a UK only epub from them?

After I got the book, I deleted my CC details on the UK account, but I am still registered there as well as on my regular account.
That's a great idea, and one I might try if I ever get brave again. At least with a Kobo account, there's very little risk--I've only downloaded a couple of freebies from them, never bought anything. Aside from a few purchases from B&N back in the day, everything I have is from Amazon these days--though I still think that B&N has the better hardware, Amazon has the services (X-Ray, personal documents, etc.).
Old 12-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #26
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
I did it just recently and it worked without any problems.
Once you get the file, you can of course liberate it and convert in Calibre into .AZW3 and use it on your PW. I don't know if x-ray would work in that file, but you could give it a try.
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:29 PM   #27
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketGoddess View Post
They do, but I don't recall seeing anyone from the US go back and forth--the reports were from elsewhere in Europe, the Middle East, etc.

No UK books for me. :_( This whole odyssey started because I was browsing the bestseller lists and stumbled on a book I would LOVE to read, then found that it was only available in the UK. What is was doing on the USA amazon.com bestseller list, I'll never understand.
It sounds like you tried to change your Amazon.com account into an .uk one? I think you need to make a new account, using a new e-mail address at amazon.co.uk. Set that up with a British address and a gift card.

Since the British have their own store it's a bit different than switching regions within amazon.com.

I've never tried buying ebooks from the uk site myself, so I don't know if you also need a vpn to hide your IP address.
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:45 PM   #28
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilia View Post
I think you need to make a new account, using a new e-mail address at amazon.co.uk. Set that up with a British address and a gift card.
She (OP) has to make sure to use a different email address and everything because if Amazon finds out there's a duplicate account both accounts will get terminated.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote