Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-20-2012, 10:17 PM   #106
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
Yep, I was one of the lucky "send to Cupertino" guinea pigs, never heard another peep.
TD, forgive me, but with all our members' replacement rounds I forgot: did you keep the least bad one, or send everything back to Cupertino?
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:55 PM   #107
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
TD, forgive me, but with all our members' replacement rounds I forgot: did you keep the least bad one, or send everything back to Cupertino?
She is sending them both back, xendula. Here's her post about it:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...14#post2271914
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #108
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Sparkle. This is turning into such a mess that I lost overview...
Old 10-21-2012, 03:15 PM   #109
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Yep, they're going back.

I looked at a nook glowtouch today in target, nearly drooled over the single-color lighting (heh), but noticed it had some ghosting/refresh issues. just wonder if this technology is still not ready for prime time.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #110
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Yep, they're going back.

I looked at a nook glowtouch today in target, nearly drooled over the single-color lighting (heh), but noticed it had some ghosting/refresh issues. just wonder if this technology is still not ready for prime time.
I looked at the Nook, but I didn't like the way the light looked, but at least there's no color blobs. The Kobo Glow looks pretty good here:

http://goodereader.com/blog/reviews/...o-glo-ereader/

However, I don't think it's available in the states yet.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2012, 08:38 PM   #111
xendula
eBookworm

I recommend you read the Nook reviews on BN.com first, before considering to buy it. The good thing is that, at least if you buy it from Target, you have a better return policy than at BN.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #112
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I recommend you read the Nook reviews on BN.com first, before considering to buy it. The good thing is that, at least if you buy it from Target, you have a better return policy than at BN.
Thanks, will definitely do so.

Set up refunds for both units this morning. Talking it over with SO, bizarrely, we both feel like we're just going to end up back with Kindle Keyboard + Kandle light. My attempt at a new case and lighting solution was kind of a fail (too bulky) and SO was initially interested in the Amazon lighted case, but says he likes not having a case at all. So. Heh. Apparently we were already using the ideal Kindle+light solution for us and this was all just a big mistake.

(We're both likely to try re-purchasing PW in future if problems are admitted/resolved.)
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:39 PM   #113
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Thanks, will definitely do so.

Set up refunds for both units this morning. Talking it over with SO, bizarrely, we both feel like we're just going to end up back with Kindle Keyboard + Kandle light. My attempt at a new case and lighting solution was kind of a fail (too bulky) and SO was initially interested in the Amazon lighted case, but says he likes not having a case at all. So. Heh. Apparently we were already using the ideal Kindle+light solution for us and this was all just a big mistake.

(We're both likely to try re-purchasing PW in future if problems are admitted/resolved.)
I sometimes do that. I have a great case for some gadget or other and suddenly get an itch to chage things around, get a new case, a new color, only to end up going back to the original one afterwards anyway
Old 11-02-2012, 09:38 AM   #114
euleralves
euleralves began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, PW2
After warranty, my Kindle Keyboard get some horizontal lines. I was concerned that would go worse and I payed 50% for a replacement.
When it arrived, I found left page buttons unresponsive. How someone can't check before send it?
You lost me, Amazon.
euleralves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #115
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
The star rating at the PW page at Amazon is now up to a FULL FOUR STARS. Folks have learned to use high PW light levels and good ambient light to flush out all the supposed screen "defects."

Plus, they have also learned to just return real bad units for a full refund via the Order page and then buy a brand new one rather than call CS and get a reconditioned replacement.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #116
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
After returning my PW and also its replacement for a refund, I'm realizing that if I replace my iPad with an iPad Mini, I no longer have need for a lit Kindle for reading at night. I don't know if this has occurred to anyone else as an option, so just sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
The star rating at the PW page at Amazon is now up to a FULL FOUR STARS. Folks have learned to use high PW light levels and good ambient light to flush out all the supposed screen "defects."
In my case, the defects were the worst with high light levels, and it's advertised as being intended for reading without ambient light.

Last edited by Michele; 11-02-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:11 PM   #117
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Kindle PW
Quote:

Plus, they have also learned to just return real bad units for a full refund via the Order page and then buy a brand new one rather than call CS and get a reconditioned replacement.
For some reason I'm not surprised. With a 4 to 6 week reorder I don't think that would be the reason.
tmf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #118
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
They are sending it now in Spain from... seat down... the 28th of January on...
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #119
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Low Ambient Light Reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
After returning my PW and also its replacement for a refund, I'm realizing that if I replace my iPad with an iPad Mini, I no longer have need for a lit Kindle for reading at night. I don't know if this has occurred to anyone else as an option, so just sharing.

In my case, the defects were the worst with high light levels, and it's advertised as being intended for reading without ambient light.
I use my Kindle Fire HD 7" 32 Gb unit for low ambient light reading. It has an Autobrightness feature using the camera lens as a sensor. I always use white fonts on a black background and it always adjusts to PERFECT LCD light for that kind of reading.

I use the KFHD7-32 with a special stand for reading at a desk.

I only use the PW sitting in a rocking chair near my lifing room bay window during the day.

Each has its own unique features and both are really necessary for all kinds of lighting.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:18 PM   #120
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
I use my Kindle Fire HD 7" 32 Gb unit for low ambient light reading. It has an Autobrightness feature using the camera lens as a sensor. I always use white fonts on a black background and it always adjusts to PERFECT LCD light for that kind of reading.
I took a look at the Kindle Fire HD 7" and I do think that's a better option for me than the iPad Mini or the Paperwhite. The KFHD is arriving tomorrow.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote