Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-08-2011, 05:08 PM   #1
catharsis
Addict
catharsis began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG, Onyx Boox M92
Angry Possibly dead DR800SG

This evening I was reading and when I turned the page my reader suddenly froze. A black 1px line appeared at 3/4 of the screen. I tried to reset it, the green led when off like usual and it went dead. I removed the battery and put it again, and now the orange led is on when connected to the computer or wall charger, but after I try to reset it, the led goes off even if plugged.

My computer does not recognize the device when connected to USB and when I reset it I hear some kind of sound, but only when the device is plugged in.

The device had DR800+ firmware (previous to last version, 3 I think) and I was using the latest version of FBReader.

What should I do? Leave the device as it is until battery drains off or try to charge it? Anything that I can do from computer (I am using Windows, but I could probably boot a Linux LiveCD).

I suppose since iRex is dead, IRX cannot fix my device if it's really broken.

Later edit: I removed battery and SD card and I managed to do a half-reboot. Now there's the image of the guy reading with ghosting from the page the device was frozen to. Still does not want to boot.

Later later edit: 2 unrelated events: I formatted the SD card and put the RC3 firmware on it. Now, after reset, the orange led is on, but still no change on screen and it's still dead if not plugged into pc or wall socket. Guy reading with ghosting of last page before the freeze is still there, the six dots in the middle dit not appear yet (I'll put some pictures tomorrow).

Last edited by catharsis; 07-08-2011 at 06:38 PM.
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:49 AM   #2
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.
martienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Sounds like it's a hardware fault, don't you think?
I have the same reader (the EU model) and am also totally gutted about what happened to IREX - such a good company with excellent products. I am treating the reader as carefully as I can for that reason, but ultimately we bet on the wrong horse!
martienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2011, 04:56 AM   #3
catharsis
Addict

I left it without battery for few hours and put a formatted card with RC3 firmware. After I plugged it to wall charger (without battery), I managed to reset it, it detected new firmware and started installing. At one moment the led started flashing from blue to red, then it became green for a while and then became stuck in blue/red, as in video below. What is not noticeable in the video below is that the boot animation became darker than usual and that the loading animation was still on:

Here are some pictures of how it looked after crash and after first failed reboot:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5709.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	74040   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5711.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	74041  
Old 07-09-2011, 08:03 AM   #4
catharsis
Addict

With battery it's dead. If I leave it without battery for a while, it tries to boot. Last time it went normal boot sequence (green led flashing), the led turned blue and flashed once, resumed to green flashing and then turned in to blue and kept flashing, until finally went dead. Boot animation was displayed until it froze. I will leave it without battery for a while and try to film it. It seems that something hardware is seriously wrong (probably some flash memory), but the screen is ok. Are there any hopes it can be fixed?
Old 07-09-2011, 09:52 AM   #5
rvs
Groupie
rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000s, Hanlin V5
Was the battery already low when it freezed? And did you try charging the battery?

I've had somewhat similar symptoms (black line, background becoming darker for no reason) with my DR1000s. They were related to a fully drained battery. All symptoms were gone when the battery was about halfway charged again.
rvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2011, 11:30 AM   #6
catharsis
Addict

Yep, it was (I hope) a case of dead battery. Although I charged for 30-60 mins after first crash, it did not respond and then I left it to drain completely (or tried without battery).

After I saw your post I put it to charge and it booted up correctly after 10-15 mins. Hope it's ok now.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:29 PM   #7
Gwaihir
The Windlord
Gwaihir began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S, BeBook Club S
The battery of my DR1000S is at the end of its rope. This occasionally causes weird crashes similar to what you and rvs describe (even though I am on old 1.5 firmware still), including the slow darkening of the screen. So IMHO you need worry for your battery only, not your device as a whole.
Gwaihir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:25 PM   #8
rvs
Groupie
rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000s, Hanlin V5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaihir View Post
The battery of my DR1000S is at the end of its rope. This occasionally causes weird crashes similar to what you and rvs describe (even though I am on old 1.5 firmware still), including the slow darkening of the screen. So IMHO you need worry for your battery only, not your device as a whole.
Just in case you've missed it: marcins recently posted a DIY for changing your battery on the DR1000s. Perhaps it's of interest to you.

Link: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=142720
rvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:40 AM   #9
Gwaihir
The Windlord
Gwaihir began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S, BeBook Club S
Yeah, that's absolutely great! But I'm using the other thread first, the one that has info on the battery and where to get hold of one.
Gwaihir is offline   Reply With Quote