Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-22-2010, 01:28 PM   #1
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Fictionwise suspends emagazine subscriptions

I have subscribed to Asimov's Science Fiction magazine for several years through Fictionwise. This week I came to renew the annual subscription to find that it is no longer offered by Fictionwise. When I asked for an explanation this is, this was the reply:

"I'm sorry but we are not offering subscriptions at this time. Please use the single issue purchase option."

As I expected, it doesn't explain why they have stopped the subscriptions. I think other emagazine subscriptions are no longer available too through FW. Is this another symptom of FW's demise? They do not want to make any long-term commitments that they may not be able to keep?

The kicker is that there are now no official outlets for this magazine for me, because I am not in the USA/Canada (which rules out the Sony online store, which sells it), and I don't own a Kindle (which rules out Amazon.co.uk, which also sells it, but in Kindle format whereas I want epub).

Well, I said Amazon was ruled out, but there is always Calibre! Assuming DRM is not a problem...
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Yes, these were suspended back in June. My subs run out soon too.

Amazon's probably still your best bet, either by removing the DRM if you're comfortable with doing that, or simply adding a Kindle or a reader that can support the Kindle app to your devices.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 02:07 PM   #3
eric11210
Addict
eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Personally, I just wait for one of their discount codes to be published and then buy the current issue. It comes out cheaper that way.

BTW, you should be able to access the Sony store for a sub if you use a VPN and an American address for billing. If you are comfortable with that...
eric11210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
I have subscribed to Asimov's Science Fiction magazine for several years through Fictionwise. This week I came to renew the annual subscription to find that it is no longer offered by Fictionwise.
Yes, this happened a few months back. I suggest that you write to Dell Magazines, urging them to offer their magazine as an ebook subscription directly.

I'd love to buy (non-DRM, ePub or Mobipocket) directly from Dell Magazines. It seems to me that by offering direct subscriptions and single issues through distribution they'd get the best of both worlds.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #5
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I've raised this on the magazine forum, and I think the editor is aware of the problem, so there may be some progress.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 02:48 PM   #6
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
I've raised this on the magazine forum, and I think the editor is aware of the problem, so there may be some progress.
The more people who send emails to the editor, the more likely he is to do something.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:54 PM   #7
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Sony and Amazon both do subscriptions, the problem (for me) is that neither do subs the classic way where you pay for a year up front and forget about it. They want you to pay every month - which defeats the purpose of a subscription. I don't want monthly billing.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:36 PM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Sony and Amazon both do subscriptions, the problem (for me) is that neither do subs the classic way where you pay for a year up front and forget about it. They want you to pay every month - which defeats the purpose of a subscription. I don't want monthly billing.
Exactly. I want to pay up-for a year or two, and get a significant discount on the single issue price because of the long-term commitment.

Luckily I have a year or two to go on my Fictionwise subs. Hopefully subs will be available elsewhere or directly before they run out.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:49 PM   #9
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Anybody know WTF is up with Fictionwise? I could understand some time of transition due to the Big 5, but that's been a long time ago and they still don't have the content I used to go to them for.

I thought Fictionwise would actually benefit from Agency pricing. Their normal pricing was WAY too high, and only tenable when you considered all their buyers club and specials and such. But the Agency pricing, they should be able to make money just selling at the agency rate -- just like every other ebook store.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:06 PM   #10
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Anybody know WTF is up with Fictionwise? I could understand some time of transition due to the Big 5, but that's been a long time ago and they still don't have the content I used to go to them for.

I thought Fictionwise would actually benefit from Agency pricing. Their normal pricing was WAY too high, and only tenable when you considered all their buyers club and specials and such. But the Agency pricing, they should be able to make money just selling at the agency rate -- just like every other ebook store.

Lee
Two words: Barnes & Noble.

Since B&N bought them, FW has been left to wither on the vine. B&N wanted certain things from them (Ereader format and DRM) and once they had that they just stopped caring.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote