Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-04-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Probably a stupid question, but..

I have a K3 and a KDX. Is there any way via Calibre to keep the contents of the books on each device, most importantly, the notes and highlights, synced between the two when I connect the reader to my computer and open Calibre?
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:58 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, it can't
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2010, 02:17 PM   #3
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Darn ;_;.

Thanks anyways.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:13 PM   #4
Anarel
Evangelist

Ohh, update to this just in case anyone's interested.... this is kinda related.

I have a K3 and a KDX with many non-amazon books and documents on them, and it's come to the point where I have to decide which device to make notes on.

I go through a lot of books and things a day, and keeping track of and updating all the mpb files was going to be tough.... and I had hoped there might be a way via Calibre to solve this but alas...

I know that sync only works on Amazon-purchased books. But every file on your Kindle has a corresponding .mbp that stores your bookmarks, highlights and last page read. If you move that file from one Kindle that has the book to another Kindle that has that book, you can manually "sync" them.

Not everyone buys all their books from Amazon, and I was wondering how other people might go about it.... so I did a little searching and found this program called AllWay Sync that takes care of this problem quite nicely.

if you hook up both of your Kindles to your computer and run the program it updates everything, most importantly, the mbp files!

You can have everything sync or just files that you choose. I don't know what this would do to Amazon-purchased ebooks, I only tested this with files and books I got from other sources.

If you have more than one Kindle (like me, I Have a DX for school and the K3 for pleasure reading) with a lot of books and documents from non-amazon sources, I would check out Allway Sync!
Old 10-05-2010, 06:43 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
there's lots of PC synchronisation shareware available - i use synchromagic, - and since a reader is just a removeable drive as far as the PC is concerned you can easily set up your own procedures.
you can have 2 way synch , backup restore, one way synch (= make target match source) etc as you prefer.
with calibre for example I use synchromagic to maintain a backup library on another drive & also to backup my calibre metadata ( I do the latter for all apps that I use regularly e.g. vlc player, as redoing all user preferences after an update or a screw up is such a chore)

you'd need to test that altering device files via pc does not screw up any internal device indices., but I think that all the important stuff is in the .mbp files.

except maybe the master index used for searching. I have an untested theory that Kindle does not create the .mpb until you first open a book. & that that's how is knows which books to display as "new" on menu screen ( new = no .mbp ).

I've yet to research where the results of book indexing are stored in the Kindles., and thus whether there is any logic to using Kindle for PC as an indexer and transferring to Kindle after indexing has been done ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert