Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-15-2010, 12:41 AM   #1
Prince Hal
Zealot
Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Galaxy Player 4.2; Nexus 3 (wifi only); Nook HD+ (possibly)
Best Bible for Touch

Does anyone have a nomination for the best Bible in terms of formatting for the Sony 600 Touch? I am looking for one that has a quick navigation system that utilizes the touch screen. Perhaps one made by a reader or one sold on the Sony site.

Many thanks for your help.

Hal.
Prince Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:06 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Touch Electronic Bible
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:19 PM   #3
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
The one grooks linked to has the best//fastest menu system I have seen for a bible on the Sony's.... great job..... not my fav version, but doable.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:04 PM   #4
JoeH
JoeH began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Portable Reader PRS-500 and PRS-600
When I got my PRS-500 after it first came out, I converted a text copy of the ESV Bible I had into individual rtf files for each book, set up "Old Testament" and "New Testament" in the Reader's "Collections", put the files in the right order, and imported them in. I moved the same collection to my PRS-600 when I bought that last month, and for me it has worked great.

However I note that the same version is available in ePub and said to work on the Sony reader for $15. See http://www.esv.org/blog/2009/06/esv-...n-epub-format/

For me the ESV is most readable and most accurate; I like it better than NIV. And I like having it on my Reader.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:14 PM   #5
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

The linked one looks pretty good, I admit I never heard of the version before. The problem I have is that it is a "study" version. What that of course actually means is their interpretation of scripture is mixed in. As a Catholic I am not interested in that, I just want the scriptures, I do not need them to tell me what it says. Do you know of any others that are not "study" versions?

Thanks
Old 01-16-2010, 08:11 AM   #6
CraftyDan
Zealot
CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.

Device: PRS-600 and PRS-350
Bremen,

Personally, I'm picky on the translation, so I'd place that far above the layout of the book. That doesn't mean I'd put up with sloppy organization of the text -- nor do I have to.

It might take some work and scripting, but now that Sony is pushing EPUB, you might want to pick up your prefered translation for the store and "improve" it. True, the version you buy will have to be freed from the DRM tyrany, but once that's done, EPUBs are easy to open and modify -- even by hand. It wouldn't be that hard to run a quick find and replace to insert at every chapter break a link back to the TOC (or better yet, your own set of TOCs) .

The next step in performance improvement would be Chapterizing the EPUB (one XHTML per chapter, as opposed to one per book). It would improve load time but would require much more than a simple global find/replace.

My advise, buy the translation you like, tear out the digital binding and put your own on.

Dan <><
CraftyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:23 AM   #7
Bremen Cole
Wizard

@CraftyDan

You are right, that would be the best solution. At this point I'm really okay with the KJV on the reader, and New American Bible on my iPhone. But, I always keep my eye out for alternatives. Zondervan sells the NIV in ePub, but I hear the menu system is really slow or I would try it...
Old 01-16-2010, 02:15 PM   #8
Prince Hal
Zealot
Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

NAB for PRS600 Touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
@CraftyDan

You are right, that would be the best solution. At this point I'm really okay with the KJV on the reader, and New American Bible on my iPhone. But, I always keep my eye out for alternatives. Zondervan sells the NIV in ePub, but I hear the menu system is really slow or I would try it...
Now a NAB with notes inline for the 600 Touch would be perfect. I have the Laridian NAB on my iPhone.

I will have to make one.

Hal.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:19 PM   #9
Prince Hal
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
The linked one looks pretty good, I admit I never heard of the version before. The problem I have is that it is a "study" version. What that of course actually means is their interpretation of scripture is mixed in. As a Catholic I am not interested in that, I just want the scriptures, I do not need them to tell me what it says. Do you know of any others that are not "study" versions?

Thanks
Then you will like Laridian's NAB. It has notes inline. But they don't do one in epub.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:46 PM   #10
ctol
Groupie
ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Fire Tablet, Windows RT Tablet Windows Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Hal View Post
Does anyone have a nomination for the best Bible in terms of formatting for the Sony 600 Touch? I am looking for one that has a quick navigation system that utilizes the touch screen. Perhaps one made by a reader or one sold on the Sony site.

Many thanks for your help.

Hal.
Have you tried this one found right here on Mobileread. It can be a tad slow sometimes but is well laid and has great navigation features. I really like it and have used it extensively. Hope this helps you narrow your choices for one to use.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ht=touch+bible
ctol is offline   Reply With Quote