Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
daigo1
daigo1 began at the beginning.

Device: none
11"+ e-reader?

I am more comfortable on a larger screen for reading my textbooks, and would prefer color as well since many of my textbooks have diagrams which are color-coded and sometimes necessary to distinguish between colors. Tablets of this size seem way too expensive and I only want one to read my textbooks so tablets seem like overkill for this purpose. Any suggestions? Thank you
daigo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The only 'color' eInk devices out there are the Jetbook Color 2 (9.68") and a newly announced model from Pocketbook (8", frontlit). Both use eInk Triton which isn't all that great for color.

For grayscale there used to be a 10.2" reader, the Irex DR1000, but the company went bankrupt a few years ago. 9.7" is the next largest out there and for that you have models from Onyx and Pocketbook (or a used Kindle DX).

If your textbooks are mostly PDF you'd likely be most happy with a tablet of some sort, even if it's a model a year or two old to keep costs down.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
An iPad would be your best choice for what you want. Given that textbooks are most likely to be PDF, the Goodreader app is very good for handling PDF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:52 PM   #4
daigo1

Would this subforum still be the correct place to ask advice about purchasing a tablet, since it's technically not an e-book reader? If not, where should I post my inquiry?

I've tried a 9.7" iPad and I find the screen a little bit too small. The only one I've liked was the 11" one I tried out. I've also tried 13", but it's a tad bit too large though I'd prefer a 13" one to a 9.7" one.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daigo1 View Post
Would this subforum still be the correct place to ask advice about purchasing a tablet, since it's technically not an e-book reader? If not, where should I post my inquiry?

I've tried a 9.7" iPad and I find the screen a little bit too small. The only one I've liked was the 11" one I tried out. I've also tried 13", but it's a tad bit too large though I'd prefer a 13" one to a 9.7" one.
Tablets have been billed as eBook Readers. So yes it's OK to keep the thread going here.

Which tablet is it that is 11"? But, does this 11" tablet have an app as good as Goodreader for handling ePub?
Old 05-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #6
daigo1

I tried it out at Best Buy. I believe it was an ASUS or a Lenovo pad. But in any case it was 11" and it felt very nice to hold/read on. Can I not install whatever software I want to read my materials? Typically on my laptop I am fine with a free PDF reader such as Foxit, and I have another program to convert .djvu files to .pdf. .CHM files are another story, but rarely are my textbooks in .chm format. I haven't encountered ePub files yet.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I tried it out at Best Buy. I believe it was an ASUS or a Lenovo pad. But in any case it was 11" and it felt very nice to hold/read on. Can I not install whatever software I want to read my materials? Typically on my laptop I am fine with a free PDF reader such as Foxit, and I have another program to convert .djvu files to .pdf. .CHM files are another story, but rarely are my textbooks in .chm format. I haven't encountered ePub files yet.
Goodreader is for iOS. If it's an Android tablet, then Goodreader won't work. There has to be a version for the OS on the tablet.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:53 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Goodreader is for iOS. If it's an Android tablet, then Goodreader won't work. There has to be a version for the OS on the tablet.
True Goodreader won't work on Android, but Android has some good PDF readers like RepliGo and ezPDF, but if it's an 11" tablet from Best Buy I bet it runs Windows 8 (either RT or full) and not Android.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #9
daigo1

Thanks for the responses. So would a tablet be my best bet at the moment? What is the cheapest 11"+ tablet I can get that won't break for many years to come? I don't care about how fast it is unless it can't even scroll down pages which I think is not a realistic situation as my slow smartphone can even move the pages relatively smoothly. I guess besides the screen, battery life would be the other main thing.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:26 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I have no idea how good an 11" tablet is or even what OS it runs. All I can say is I have experience with the iPad and can recommend one for PDF.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:52 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. So would a tablet be my best bet at the moment? What is the cheapest 11"+ tablet I can get that won't break for many years to come? I don't care about how fast it is unless it can't even scroll down pages which I think is not a realistic situation as my slow smartphone can even move the pages relatively smoothly. I guess besides the screen, battery life would be the other main thing.
Price wise the cheapest 11.6" tablet I can think of is the Lenovo IdeaTab Lynx which sells for around $500. I don't know what performance or battery life are like.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:59 PM   #12
Jyster
Enthusiast
Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
There is a portable touch screen all in one computer at Best Buy made by Sony. I think its close to $1000, and it has a 20' screen
Jyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:32 AM   #13
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Archos has a 13.3 inch Android tablet: FamilyPad. Available in Europe. But its nothing to boast off other than screen size
There is also a 11.6 inch version coming out in US.

That aside, Toshiba had a 13.3 inch tablet, selling in few select places, like Canada/Aus/NZ and Japan. Hard to get and also pricey and probably discontinued.

IF price conscious, FamilyPad is a good option.
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:33 PM   #14
daigo1

Ah, I am in the U.S. I've found this: http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Excite...dp/B008B3VWAU/

and: http://www.amazon.com/Kocaso-13-3-Ta...dp/B00BQO9M1M/

but I've never heard of the latter brand. I'm afraid it might break after a few usages.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:13 AM   #15
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Now this looks very promising:

http://www.teleread.com/e-ink/sony-a...awesome-video/

(but am currently putting this as vaporware..or at least as may not be available outside Japan)
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote