Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-14-2011, 05:07 PM   #16
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Don't MOST Android based tablets look the same anyway...? It's not like iPhone/iPads are any different looking either... Just the backs and sides.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:14 PM   #17
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilikins View Post
I say you give him the smackdown on that But then again, that booklight complaint is one of the reasons you're getting the Fire, right? Let's argue for a new toy rather than mutual tolerance It looks like you're compromising, but really you're winning!
Well the Fire is mostly from mommy but he did pay for shipping and $30 of it. Yes I got the Fire because of this so he better not start with His it's too bright stuff.

Quote:
I did see, I think it was Engadget or The Verge, that you CAN sideload non- Amazon market apps, but none of them worked as well as they should, so I'd assume that Amazon's UI is causing some interference, whether intentional or not. Makes sense. Developers often base their app compatibility off the unadulterated OS for widest use. Sounds like a two-way issue to me. Blossom, you might be okay with e-reading apps, since they tend be less intensive than other apps. Here's hoping!
One reviewer got Mantano to work so I'm happy just having it. I can use Dropbox through the browser if the app doesn't work. My apps are Mantano & ColorDict, Dropbox, ES File Explorer (This one prob wont work) and Opera. I don't need any others to be happy with the Fire.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:25 PM   #18
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
in the fox news review the reviewer states that the kindle fires 7 inch screen is less than half of the ipads screen (my ipads screen is only 9.7 inches) apparantly the reviewer has a special 14 inch screen ipad that i was unable to buy :P

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...me-sacrifices/
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:38 PM   #19
jeremy81
Enthusiast
jeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Fire & Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by covfam View Post
in the fox news review the reviewer states that the kindle fires 7 inch screen is less than half of the ipads screen (my ipads screen is only 9.7 inches) apparantly the reviewer has a special 14 inch screen ipad that i was unable to buy :P

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...me-sacrifices/
It actually is. The aspect ratio makes a difference. That said if you were watching a widescreen video on the iPad it would probably not be much bigger than a widescreen video playing on the Kindle Fire. Here is a good site showing the difference and percentages:

http://www.displaywars.com/7-inch-16x9-vs-9,7-inch-4x3

Last edited by jeremy81; 11-14-2011 at 05:42 PM.
jeremy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:42 PM   #20
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: HTC Flyer; Kobo WiFi
Quote:
by covfamin the fox news review the reviewer states that the kindle fires 7 inch screen is less than half of the ipads screen (my ipads screen is only 9.7 inches) apparantly the reviewer has a special 14 inch screen ipad that i was unable to buy :P
Maybe because they're so much more fair and balanced than everyone else, they get a special iPad? Sorry, my bad, Fox News jabs pocketed.

Blossom, I hope they all run smooth! I haven't tried ColorDict yet, but I noticed today in my trawling for apps that it came up a lot in "best of" blogs. And you'll probably be fine with the light, unless he's really picky. Mine likes that he can turn off the light on the rare occasions he beats me to sleep (but then he also complains the the LCD is going to mess up my sleep patterns - says the man who goes to bed and wakes up with his phone in his hands)

I've noticed reviewers saying the Silk browser doesn't seem to be any speedier than others, but that could also be because it's likely in beta stage and also they haven't accumulated enough of a cache yet to really get it going? And the software glitches will be fine-tuned as time goes on.

I wonder how long before it's rooted?
emilikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:45 PM   #21
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Well the Fire is mostly from mommy but he did pay for shipping and $30 of it. Yes I got the Fire because of this so he better not start with His it's too bright stuff.
As a pre-emptive strike, make sure you point out that while a booklight illuminates down onto his face, your Fire will illuminate up into yours. There's obviously some light that bounces off the walls and ceiling, but it makes quite a difference. Also, I doubt your booklight has the same level of adjustment for brightness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by covfam View Post
As jeremy81 hints, it is half the screen real estate, not half the diagonal length. It is, however, 80% of the resolution.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:58 PM   #22
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilikins View Post
Maybe because they're so much more fair and balanced than everyone else, they get a special iPad? Sorry, my bad, Fox News jabs pocketed.

Blossom, I hope they all run smooth! I haven't tried ColorDict yet, but I noticed today in my trawling for apps that it came up a lot in "best of" blogs. And you'll probably be fine with the light, unless he's really picky. Mine likes that he can turn off the light on the rare occasions he beats me to sleep (but then he also complains the the LCD is going to mess up my sleep patterns - says the man who goes to bed and wakes up with his phone in his hands)

I've noticed reviewers saying the Silk browser doesn't seem to be any speedier than others, but that could also be because it's likely in beta stage and also they haven't accumulated enough of a cache yet to really get it going? And the software glitches will be fine-tuned as time goes on.

I wonder how long before it's rooted?
ColorDict is great! It works with many of the reader apps. You can find dictionaries online that it supports. It takes some working to install them manually but there is Wordnet on the market you can install automatically. I went hunting for an old dictionary for my regencies and I found the Webster's 1913 for it and I use that alot.

We both sleep with our phones so I know how you feel. I don't think it will mess with my sleep patterns. I love to read for few hours in bed. I wouldn't call me a Insomniac but it takes me hours to fall alseep so reading helps me alot.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:00 PM   #23
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganK View Post
As a pre-emptive strike, make sure you point out that while a booklight illuminates down onto his face, your Fire will illuminate up into yours. There's obviously some light that bounces off the walls and ceiling, but it makes quite a difference. Also, I doubt your booklight has the same level of adjustment for brightness.
Well he sometimes complains about my phone which I read from now. I've gone to using a dark grey background with black text and that doesn't bother him but switching between books or surfing does. Still he will have to get over it Or I'll just throw a cover over my head like a kid.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:06 PM   #24
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Still he will have to get over it Or I'll just throw a cover over my head like a kid. :rofl
Or his.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #25
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganK View Post
Or his.
He snores like a bear I can't tell you how many times I would love to do something like that
Old 11-14-2011, 09:50 PM   #26
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad 103rd Gen
The reviews on Amazon itself are not doing so well....even after ignoring some of the kooks...
Cpl Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:11 PM   #27
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl Punishment View Post
The reviews on Amazon itself are not doing so well....even after ignoring some of the kooks...
I can't believe how many reviews give the Fire a 1 when the writer doesn't even own one. In my opinion, Amazon should delete reviews like this one...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2011-11-14 at 8.09.57 PM.png
Views:	337
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	79001  
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:00 PM   #28
LoganK
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I can't believe how many reviews give the Fire a 1 when the writer doesn't even own one. In my opinion, Amazon should delete reviews like this one...
Yes, and the many five star reviews from people without the device. I went through and rated down some of the most recent reviews when it was obvious they hadn't touched the thing.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:35 PM   #29
JD78
Connoisseur
JD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notes

Device: None
One of my favorite reviews so far in from Chicago Sun Time's Andy Ihnatko. IMO he just "gets" the Fire.

http://www.suntimes.com/8816567-417/...er-device.html
JD78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:39 PM   #30
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
From a B&N employee maybe? Amazon reviews have gone down hill this past year. It full of people who don't even know what they talking about. They haven't even tried the product. Amazon needs to have stricter guidelines.