Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-09-2010, 05:59 PM   #16
MyQuestBe
MyQuestBe is on a distinguished road

Device: iPod Classic / iPhone / touch / iPad
Talking

I got this same error message and tried a variety of solutions, (Opening the metadata and analyzing it, changing chapter names in my ePub file (They started with a number) removed spaces and hyphens from file names, resaved files from scratch, etc.) none of which worked. Given the error message references "assets/asset[2]/data_file/file_name", I figured it must have something to do with the second asset in the asset screen of iTunes Producer, which is the art for the ibook cover. I opened my cover art file and found its size was 420 x 599, when it should've been 400 x 600. I resized it, made sure it was saved as a .jpg, resubmitted it and...problem solved.

It was like I knew what I was doing.
MyQuestBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:46 PM   #17
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I'm glad to see that Apple isn't letting their reputation for ease-of-use interfere with the sacred tradition of meaningless error messages. It's amazing how many computer problems end up being solved by just fiddling with it till it works.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2010, 10:27 AM   #18
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Wow that is weird!
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:59 PM   #19
awp
Addict
awp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyQuestBe View Post
I got this same error message and tried a variety of solutions, (Opening the metadata and analyzing it, changing chapter names in my ePub file (They started with a number) removed spaces and hyphens from file names, resaved files from scratch, etc.) none of which worked. Given the error message references "assets/asset[2]/data_file/file_name", I figured it must have something to do with the second asset in the asset screen of iTunes Producer, which is the art for the ibook cover. I opened my cover art file and found its size was 420 x 599, when it should've been 400 x 600. I resized it, made sure it was saved as a .jpg, resubmitted it and...problem solved.

It was like I knew what I was doing.
The "faulty" EPUB file of our user contains a 500 x 750 cover image. It can be easily sampled down to 400 x 600. I have forwarded this tip to her.

Thank you, MyQuestBe.
awp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:29 PM   #20
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
We usually scale ours to around 800x1200px and in png format. No rejections by Apple so far for that reason.

So yes, it is really weird.

The iTunesConnect PublisherUserGuide (see post #1 in the following thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=iTunesConnect )

only says this about images:

Quote:
Images
* Images that have any unused or transparent areas should be PNG format with transparency.
* Because there is limited screen real estate, book images are automatically scaled. For this to correctly work, images should be at the correct intrinsic dimensions when created instead of hard coding dimensions in the image tag itself.
* To ensure proper viewing of images in content, use the HTML img tag instead of wrapping images in svg:img.
* The maximum recommended size is about 11 MB of un-encoded image data per chapter.
(edited to add link to Apple documentation)

Last edited by st_albert; 08-10-2010 at 06:35 PM.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2010, 08:28 AM   #21
awp
Addict
awp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Sony PRS-T1
You are right. The image size is also not a problem. I have a reply from the user:

Quote:
Actually, I haven't had any problems with the other titles that have successfully been absorbed into the iBookstore with regard to graphic size. The only place they seem to be itchy when it comes to graphic size is the artwork you upload for the product page, which must be 453 x 680. A 500 x 750 jpg is standard in all of our books, and nobody's hacked up hairballs over it.
awp is offline   Reply With Quote