Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-11-2010, 07:46 AM   #1
cnewsgrp
cnewsgrp began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Kindle books on Sony reader?

I just purchased a PRS-600?

Does anyone know if I can get Kindle books or books purchased on B&N on Sony ebook reader? There were few available for free earlier and I had purchased them a while ago at these sites.

Last edited by cnewsgrp; 05-11-2010 at 07:49 AM.
cnewsgrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
For the Kindle you'd need to remove the DRM (assuming the book has any) and then convert the book. For B&N you'd need to remove the DRM and if it's an eReader PDB convert it, if it's an ePub it should work fine if the DRM's removed.

There's no way to read DRM'd books from B&N or Amazon without removing the DRM first.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2010, 11:49 AM   #3
Scott_T
Groupie
Scott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500, Reb1100(dead)
I was just looking into this too so I could read amazon freebies I was dl'ing with kindle pc. so far I've found this link removed.

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 12-06-2010 at 09:31 AM. Reason: please don't post direct links to sites providing tools to break DRM
Scott_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:43 PM   #4
cnewsgrp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
For the Kindle you'd need to remove the DRM (assuming the book has any) and then convert the book. For B&N you'd need to remove the DRM and if it's an eReader PDB convert it, if it's an ePub it should work fine if the DRM's removed.

There's no way to read DRM'd books from B&N or Amazon without removing the DRM first.
I don't have the kindle so I don't have the digital book yet. Right now they are just showing up in my Amazon and BN accounts. How to I download them?

Should I download Kindle for desktop and get the books?
Old 05-11-2010, 01:23 PM   #5
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
I believe you need some sort of Kindle device (or Kindle for PC) in order to download Kindle books.
You can't just download them as you download normal software.
But Kindle for PC should do the trick.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2010, 03:51 PM   #6
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I have a Sony Reader and you can use Kindle for PC to download Amazon books. After that I used Calibre to convert the book to epub. If the book has DRM you'll have to remove that also.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:20 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I didn't think it was possible to buy a kindle book without having a device registered, be it s Kindle for PC, Mac, BB, kindle,...
The option for my to buy did not show up until I had a device registered
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:23 PM   #8
cnewsgrp

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I didn't think it was possible to buy a kindle book without having a device registered, be it s Kindle for PC, Mac, BB, kindle,...
I don't have kindle and bought books from amazon.com.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:24 PM   #9
cnewsgrp

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
I have a Sony Reader and you can use Kindle for PC to download Amazon books. After that I used Calibre to convert the book to epub. If the book has DRM you'll have to remove that also.
Thanks will try this as soon as I get my sony ereader
Old 05-11-2010, 09:50 PM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Kindle 4 PC is the same as having a device as far as buying books are concerned. I have bought many books from Amazon through the Kindle 4 PC then removed the DRM and converted them for use on my Sony.

Anyone interested in circumventing drm might want to google Apprentice Alf's Blog or Darkreverser's New Blog for more info on the subject.

Beware, know what you are doing before purchasing the book. Practice on the book samples to ensure your process works for removing DRM prior to buying any book you plan to use on a non-Kindle device. Update: Practice on a freebie. You can download a free book by just checking out the Kindle bestsellers and finding a (non-public domain) book that cost 0 cents. Once downloaded verify it is DRM'd by opening it in Calibre's ereader. Now practice on it and ensure your process works.

Update: Make sure you know if the book you want is in the topaz or mobi format.

Converting from topaz is easy enough but you will end up with both a SVG version, which looks great on your computer but can't be easily converted to anything you can view on your ereader, and a 1st proof OCR type book that you can convert to epub but will need some proofing to make it acceptable. Know before you buy. If the first 4 characters in the sample, when viewing the sample in notepad++, are TPZ0 then the book is topaz.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 05-11-2010 at 10:55 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:58 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Practice on the book samples to ensure your process works for removing DRM prior to buying any book you plan to use on a non-Kindle device.
The last time I checked samples don't have DRM, but you could use a DRM'd freebie.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:01 PM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The last time I checked samples don't have DRM, but you could use a DRM'd freebie.
I may be wrong so I'll head over and try again just to make sure the light I see isn't coming through my belly button.

Update: Thanks, You are right. It seems that what I was doing was just checking to see if the book was in the mobi or topaz format before deciding what to purchase. I updated the previous post.

Karma to you for successfully preforming a cranial rectal extraction.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 05-11-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:05 PM   #13
cnewsgrp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I may be wrong so I'll head over and try again just to make sure the light I see isn't coming through my belly button.

Update: Thanks, You are right. It seems that what I was doing was just checking to see if the book was in the mobi or topaz format before deciding what to purchase. I updated the previous post.

Karma to you for successfully preforming a cranial rectal extraction.
I downloaded the kindle books and they are .awz extension. These are not samples, I purchased them last year when they were on sale (free). I was able to open load them in Calibri but cannot open, its says the book is DRM. Can .awz format be converted?

Barnes and Noble books are in epub format and are non drm so I am good there
Old 05-11-2010, 11:10 PM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnewsgrp View Post
I downloaded the kindle books and they are .awz extension. These are not samples, I purchased them last year when they were on sale (free). I was able to open load them in Calibri but cannot open, its says the book is DRM. Can .awz format be converted?
Yes, google previously cited blogs

Quote:
I would be surprised if B&N had any non-drm ePubs. If they open in Calibre's ereader then I guess you're right.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:36 PM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Some may be DRM free (like stuff from Smashwords maybe?), I'm not sure, but anything from a big publishing house (Penguin, Harper, Random House, etc.) that you get from B&N has DRM on it.