Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: Does Google have the right to digitise all of the world's books?
Yes, digitise them all for us please Google 54 65.06%
No, Google, you don't have the right! 20 24.10%
The blue one next to the fish 9 10.84%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-28-2009, 10:07 PM   #1
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Google Books - all your novels are belong to us?

Does Google have the right to digitise all of the world's books?
http://digihub.smh.com.au/Google-Boo...elong-to-us%3F
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:12 PM   #2
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
The Settlement has already been all but pulled, due to various issues. The various parties are apparently working with the DOJ and federal regulators to develop a new procedure, which presumably will adhere to existing copyright laws.

Whoever wrote that skimpy article is a little behind the times.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2009, 08:12 AM   #3
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
The Settlement has already been all but pulled, due to various issues. The various parties are apparently working with the DOJ and federal regulators to develop a new procedure, which presumably will adhere to existing copyright laws.

Whoever wrote that skimpy article is a little behind the times.
I just liked the question and thought it'd make a good poll
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:56 AM   #4
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
I say go for it. It's a bit like Amazon's excerpts and "search inside" feature- I think it actually helped sell books. Publishers should be happy.

And I would be quite ok with a paying service too. Too many times we (me and friends) found ourself with a book we can't find at the library but just on google- and, of course, just a small part of it. Plus it would be a pdf or a proper ebook- don't care, as long as we're able to put our eyes on the text
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 01:57 PM   #5
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I'm with Juliette here.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2009, 03:13 PM   #6
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
The sooner they break out the giant vacuum cleaner and the 128 TB memory sticks, the better.

(Okay, this is a book forum-- some of you get that.)
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:22 PM   #7
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
The sooner they break out the giant vacuum cleaner and the 128 TB memory sticks, the better.

(Okay, this is a book forum-- some of you get that.)
Yep, and his idea of micro royalties is also should come to pass.
dmikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:36 PM   #8
hike_gc
Zealot
hike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nook
Monopoly in the making

Whenever a company tries to take all the toys for themselves, I shudder. I would no more support Google's little plan than I would Amazon trying to do the same thing. Neither can see beyond the profits they hope to make. We customers are barely in the picture.
hike_gc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:06 PM   #9
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette View Post
I say go for it. It's a bit like Amazon's excerpts and "search inside" feature- I think it actually helped sell books. Publishers should be happy.

And I would be quite ok with a paying service too. Too many times we (me and friends) found ourself with a book we can't find at the library but just on google- and, of course, just a small part of it. Plus it would be a pdf or a proper ebook- don't care, as long as we're able to put our eyes on the text
Mainstream publishers *were* happy with the settlement.

The problem was:
Academic publishers & authors, who would like (1) the ability to share content without charging, (2) some guarantee of good scans & accurate metadata, (3) lots more annotation sharing ability, (4) some guarantee that the prices won't spike as soon as libraries have come to count on the archives, (5) consideration for the privacy of the library users,

Music publishers, who didn't all agree with the given price, and most especially weren't going for "you must submit to us a list of every individual copyrighted work you want excepted." EMI, with millions of copyrights under its control, is not submitting to Google a list of every set of album notes & CD insert it produced before 2009,

Comic book publishers, for whom "in print" and "out of print" are transient states, and don't want to deal with material showing up on Googlebooks for free, just before they release their"Best of Captain Stupendous from 1973-78" collection,

Non-publishers, like students who've written theses and published a dozen copies, or activists who've published chapbooks of anti-government rhetoric that they might be threatened about by angry neighbors, or small religious groups who've published prayers and songs of their faith, which again, can call down the wrath of neighbors, depending on the religion,
(I'm unsure how many of these are at risk; many weren't registered with the copyright office. But google's methods for establishing that are fairly opaque and complex, and not at all reassuring.)

Fanzine authors, who don't want their legal names publicly attached to the weird hobby they participated in during the early 80's,

Non-US publishers, who don't want the books that are in-print in their country available for free on Google because they're out of print in the US,

various other groups.

Mainstream publishers were ecstatic with the Googlebooks agreement; it's everyone else whose needs & wants got ignored. There's no privacy consideration for the authors who deliberately published in small venues originally, no ability for any other group to make the same or a similar arrangement, no ability for an author to insist, "my book is a CC by-nc-sa work; it is distributable for free or not at all."

I LOVE what Google was trying to do. They just overstepped a few too many lines. I hope they work out something similar for mainstream authors, manage to avoid the monopoly (not sure how they can do that, actually), and edit their terms to take into consideration what other kinds of rightsholders need.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote