Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-11-2009, 03:05 PM   #61
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Well, I am a lawyer, and no matter how I dissect the matter, I don't see how either of those python scripts does anything in violation of the DMCA.
Really? Because 17 USC 1201 seems to be pretty clear:

(A) No person shall circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title.

The PID in an ebook file is clearly a 'technological measure that effectively controls access', namely, to only a device with that PID. Using Kindlefix to substitute a different PID for the one in the file clearly circumvents that. I agree with your earlier analysis that there's little actual damage here, and that the publisher probably does not care so long as it's only being read on one device and not copied multiple times for multiple devices.

But it's still a technical violation, at least until an exemption is granted.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:18 PM   #62
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Really? Because 17 USC 1201 seems to be pretty clear:

(A) No person shall circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title.

The PID in an ebook file is clearly a 'technological measure that effectively controls access', namely, to only a device with that PID. Using Kindlefix to substitute a different PID for the one in the file clearly circumvents that. I agree with your earlier analysis that there's little actual damage here, and that the publisher probably does not care so long as it's only being read on one device and not copied multiple times for multiple devices.

But it's still a technical violation, at least until an exemption is granted.
From my understanding of Kindlefix, it does not substitute a different PID, it in fact allows the Kindle to read the file with the Kindles original PID.

I could also quibble about how effectively it does control access but I won't go there.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2009, 03:21 PM   #63
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
From my understanding of Kindlefix, it does not substitute a different PID, it in fact allows the Kindle to read the file with the Kindles original PID.
Now I am confused... If you have a book that was not intended to be read on the Kindel and have DRM that enforce that. Why is not making it possible to read the book on the Kindle circumventing the DRM?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:33 PM   #64
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I think it is a fair use argument. If I pay to read the content, and I have to use kindlefix to make the content readable on my device, I have not circumvented the DRM. There is a specific exception for that. However, if I used it to be able to read it on my computer AND my kindle, then there would be a problem.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:36 PM   #65
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Now I am confused... If you have a book that was not intended to be read on the Kindel and have DRM that enforce that. Why is not making it possible to read the book on the Kindle circumventing the DRM?
It's not that the book can't be read on the Kindle, it's that the Kindle refuses to read the book. The Kindle's PID is already in the book before you run kindlefix.

My position on kindlefix hinges on whether it "unpacks" the PIDs or "decrypts" them. I use the word unpack to refer to a process that is identical on all ebooks, and decrypt to refer to one that requires something to make the process unique. For example, you can unpack any ZIP file with just about any software. You need a specific PID to decrypt an ebook.

So, whether kindlefix violates the DMCA depends on how the PIDs are stored in the file header. Is it closer to a ZIP file, or closer to encryption?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2009, 04:07 PM   #66
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
It's not that the book can't be read on the Kindle, it's that the Kindle refuses to read the book. The Kindle's PID is already in the book before you run kindlefix.
And refusing to read the book is part of the DRM. If I would sell a MobiPocket book with DRM I might want not to make it available to Kindle users for some reason. The DRM enforces my right to make this decision. I do not see how using kindlefix is not circumventing the DRM and reading the book on a Kindle against my wishes.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:10 PM   #67
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I could also quibble about how effectively it does control access but I won't go there.
Ahh, okay, I misunderstood. I thought people were using kindlepid to get their Kindle PID, downloading an ebook from, say, Fictionwise with their computer or other device's PID, then running Kindlefix on it to change the PID.

Re-reading, I see now that Kindlefix simply fixes a special 'flag' in the file that allows it to be used on Kindles; the file already has to have the Kindle PID in it.

So now I see the PID really has little to do with it. Kindlefix is certainly a program that circumvents a bit that controls access to the file.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:26 PM   #68
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:

That is also my understanding. It does not substitute a different PID. It allows the user to indicate what the correct PID for the device is so that they can read the book.

In addition, considering that the user has paid the appropriate amount to the appropriate people, and has presumably purchased a license to read the book, I need for someone to tell me where the damage lies in allowing the user to read that book on the device they own ... the one with that particular PID.

And, please, tell me exactly who is being damaged? You are suggesting that there are authors out there who only want their book to be read on a particular device?? So, the book will not be available in brick and mortar bookstores, no one can go into the store to buy one, no one can go into a library to check the book out .... it is ONLY going to be available for one reading device? Somehow I don't see the author of that book making very much money .... and, for that matter, I don't see the publisher of the book making very much money.

And, while everyone is quoting the literal text of the code, if I cannot buy a legitimate digital copy of a book to read, and I instead purchase a regular brick and mortar bookstore copy, I'm still "circumventing" that technological barrier that controls access to the work.

I suppose it does come down to the word "effectively." Because that particular type of DRM is about as ineffective as it gets. There's a typical federal code logical loop for you ....

1. If some hacker can easily circumvent the DRM then it must not be "effective";

2. If the DRM is not effective, then it's not illegal to circumvent it ...

Ah yes, the proud work of our elected officials ...

Oh, and before I forget, the law does not exist in a vacuum. The party who considers themselves (or their DRM) violated under the code must be the one who brings the complaint. There is a little issue of standing. And .... I want to hear the convoluted reasoning someone is going to have to go through to explain how my using my PID associated with my Kindle at another online bookstore circumvents DRM put in place by Amazon?? It could, in theory, circumvent DRM put in place by the other online bookstore, but then Amazon has no standing to complain about that.

Last edited by RickyMaveety; 03-11-2009 at 04:43 PM.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:25 PM   #69
InlawBiker
Connoisseur
InlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1.0
Quote:
Oh, and before I forget, the law does not exist in a vacuum. The party who considers themselves (or their DRM) violated under the code must be the one who brings the complaint. There is a little issue of standing. And .... I want to hear the convoluted reasoning someone is going to have to go through to explain how my using my PID associated with my Kindle at another online bookstore circumvents DRM put in place by Amazon?? It could, in theory, circumvent DRM put in place by the other online bookstore, but then Amazon has no standing to complain about that.
Eh, well, I'm not a lawyer but I know a bit about cryptography and programming. I changed the script so I don't always have to type my PID and now I'm digging into the code. The DRM is not circumvented, removed or altered with kindlefix.py. The payload (the e-book) is still encrypted and usable only by the PID(s) used to encode it.

Comparing the original .prc and pythonfix'd .azw files, there are only about 28 bytes different between the two.

In fact, I would wager that the e-book payload is never even decrypted when it's run through the script. It's possible to isolate just the Mobi header and maybe decrypt only that. Perhaps the author will come around and clue us in.

Anyhow I think we're all saying the same thing. The spirit of DMCA isn't broken here and nobody is at a loss, except Amazon is no longer the sole provider of DRM content for the Kindle.
InlawBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:41 PM   #70
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by InlawBiker View Post
Eh, well, I'm not a lawyer but I know a bit about cryptography and programming. I changed the script so I don't always have to type my PID and now I'm digging into the code. The DRM is not circumvented, removed or altered with kindlefix.py. The payload (the e-book) is still encrypted and usable only by the PID(s) used to encode it.
The meta data is changed and it is not encrypted. What I do not understand is why people comsider the encryption being the only part of the DRM. The bits that kindlefix.py changes is also part of the DRM system.

If it legally is not effective then this is one thing. It is still part of the DRM event if it is not legally effective.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:46 PM   #71
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
The meta data is changed and it is not encrypted. What I do not understand is why people comsider the encryption being the only part of the DRM. The bits that kindlefix.py changes is also part of the DRM system.

If it legally is not effective then this is one thing. It is still part of the DRM event if it is not legally effective.
Tompe, tell me this ... if the DRM is supposed to prevent someone, other than the purchaser of the book, from accessing the book, and the script does nothing to alter that, then how is the DRM being circumvented?

Not trying to be confrontational, but I am curious.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:48 PM   #72
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Tompe, tell me this ... if the DRM is supposed to prevent someone, other than the purchaser of the book, from accessing the book, and the script does nothing to alter that, then how is the DRM being circumvented?

Not trying to be confrontational, but I am curious.
The DRM is also supposed to prevent it to be used on a Kindle.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:52 PM   #73
sirbruce
Provocateur

Well, "supposed" is an assumption, but it certainly DOES do exactly that.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:57 PM   #74
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
The DRM is also supposed to prevent it to be used on a Kindle.
Isn't the DRM supposed to allow the ebook to only WORK on the devices identified by the 1-4 PIDs for which it is encrypted?

In that case, an ebook encrypted for the Kindle PID will only be for that kindle. How would changing the document type metadata to a value the kindle needs violate or circumvent that in any way? The protection is still there.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:09 PM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If I have a Mobipocket eBook that has say 2 PIDs in it and I can view it with Mobipocket Reader and then I change the document type (one of the PIDs is for the Kindle) to say this can be viewed with a Kindle, I've just changed the DRM. I can no longer view it with Mobipocket Reader. So in effect, I have just changed the DRM. I have prevented this eBook from being read on the devices it was meant to be read on based on the PID and document type.

The DRM is no longer the same DRM it was before. The DRM tells me what I can and cannot read the eBook with. Changing just the document type is changing the DRM's permission. So in effect, you have changed the DRM to allow Overdrive Mobipocket eBooks to be viewed on a Kindle.

Persoanlly, I do not see any difference to changing the DRM to allow the eBook to be viewed on a Kindle as opposed to reading it with Mobipocket Reader. For library eBooks, the DRM is still going to expire so it cannot be read bast it's allowed time. But legally, this may not be acceptable.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote