Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-23-2008, 11:18 PM   #1
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
I know who should design the next generation of ebook readers ...

James Dyson. The man is a genius of the first order. When he designs something ... it not only works, but it works well, and it looks just plain brilliant while it's working.

I just finished doing a small repair on one of my Dyson vacuums ... on any other machine, I'm certain it would have taken me an hour. On this one ... five minutes from diagnosis to complete repair.

It just doesn't get much better than that.

I hope he turns his mind to creating the perfect ebook reader someday soon.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:21 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
... with a HEPA filter to clean up those dirty books ....
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2008, 11:34 PM   #3
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
And a self-cleaning screen in color .... that rotates!!!
Old 06-23-2008, 11:46 PM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I'm glad to hear that the Dyson is easy to repair. We've had one for a number of years and it just keeps on working. I have had no need to fix the thing. Every other vacuum cleaner we have had before would have required several maintenance adventures by now. This thing just keeps working.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:52 PM   #5
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I don't know. I fear that if Dyson designed an e-book reader it would really suck. Sorry I couldn't help myself.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2008, 12:29 AM   #6
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
We have a Miele vacuum cleaner and, damn it, no matter how badly I treat the mongrel thing - no matter if I use it to suck up all the macaranga leaves in the back yard; no matter if I "dig" holes in the ground for new plants with it; no matter if I send large nuts and bolts down it for the interesting cacaphony; no matter if I drain the spa with it - the bloody thing still keeps going on and on demanding more and more replacement bags. Damn it! I WANT A NEW DYSON!

Fortunately, I do have Dyson's little rechargeable, handheld, antimatter, plasmatic pulse-pistol for fixing up the crumbs on my shirt and for dealing with minor alien insurgency, but I really want a matching big Dyson.

I'm just one man; how can I defeat the alien menace with one little gun; without the fullbore, ultra-cannon Dyson mega-rifle?

Cheers,
Marc ("This is my rifle; this is my gun...")
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:02 AM   #7
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Hardware-wise PRS-505 is quite a nice device. The board looks very neat, especially compared to e.g. Kindle. It's the software which is lacking...
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:06 AM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I have a Roomba, so I might have to go with it's designers. My only repair for it was a software update (pretty much what the Kindle needs now).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:42 AM   #9
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
For my money, you can't beat a Kirby.

With anything. The thing is made of cast steel, ferghodsake! Yes, it needs new bags. But the motor will lift a Volkswagen, so it always has suction.

It also gives you an aerobic workout getting it from floor to floor in the house.

Unfortunately, the e-reader they would design would actually be an IBM mainframe, but hey...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:11 AM   #10
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
sucks even the the most stubborn f*cker right out ! new "smart" HEPA can distinguish between "pricking your finger" and "fingering your p--" *ahem* other uses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
We have a Miele vacuum cleaner and, damn it, no matter how badly I treat the mongrel thing - no matter if I use it to suck up all the macaranga leaves in the back yard; no matter if I "dig" holes in the ground for new plants with it; no matter if I send large nuts and bolts down it for the interesting cacaphony; no matter if I drain the spa with it - the bloody thing still keeps going on and on demanding more and more replacement bags. Damn it! I WANT A NEW DYSON!

Fortunately, I do have Dyson's little rechargeable, handheld, antimatter, plasmatic pulse-pistol for fixing up the crumbs on my shirt and for dealing with minor alien insurgency, but I really want a matching big Dyson.

I'm just one man; how can I defeat the alien menace with one little gun; without the fullbore, ultra-cannon Dyson mega-rifle?

Cheers,
Marc ("This is my rifle; this is my gun...")
i feel your pain. i have a rowenta, which doesn't even *take* replacement bags (although it does need a new filter...), and i do believe it will outlive me. it's a good vacuum, but it's not a *dyson* (and those damn replacement filters cost a fortune).

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I have a Roomba, so I might have to go with it's designers. My only repair for it was a software update (pretty much what the Kindle needs now).
:jealous: i want a roomba as much as i want a dyson. more, in fact. a scooba would be nice too...

seriously though, design should definitely be on the list of things to improve. some liseuses are prettier than others (but you didn't hear it from me...) but i think they all still have a lot of progress to make in ergonomy.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:18 AM   #11
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
I'm glad to hear that the Dyson is easy to repair. We've had one for a number of years and it just keeps on working. I have had no need to fix the thing. Every other vacuum cleaner we have had before would have required several maintenance adventures by now. This thing just keeps working.
Well, mine get a lot more abuse than the average house would work on a vacuum. Tons of cat hair, kitty litter, shredded carpet from the scratching posts ... you get the idea.

It is a remarkable piece of engineering ... that's for sure!!
Old 06-24-2008, 11:21 AM   #12
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Hardware-wise PRS-505 is quite a nice device. The board looks very neat, especially compared to e.g. Kindle. It's the software which is lacking...
Yes, yes, Igorsk .... but not everyone pulls their ebook readers apart to gaze at the innards. Most of us just want to read on the things.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:22 AM   #13
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
For my money, you can't beat a Kirby.

With anything. The thing is made of cast steel, ferghodsake! Yes, it needs new bags. But the motor will lift a Volkswagen, so it always has suction.

It also gives you an aerobic workout getting it from floor to floor in the house.

Unfortunately, the e-reader they would design would actually be an IBM mainframe, but hey...
I had a Kirby for a long time. Too heavy for me to drag upstairs, so it was given away. Also, I got tired of the mess that was made when I cleaned out the bag. Eeech.

But, I'll grant you ... the thing was sturdy.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:23 AM   #14
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
I don't know. I fear that if Dyson designed an e-book reader it would really suck. Sorry I couldn't help myself.
Hey, I thought it was funny!!
Old 06-24-2008, 12:07 PM   #15
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Yes, yes, Igorsk .... but not everyone pulls their ebook readers apart to gaze at the innards. Most of us just want to read on the things.
Well, you mentioned "repair" in the first post...
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote