Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-14-2008, 11:19 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I am trying to live blog the Sony tech announcement. Let's see if this is possible on my Kindle. Could another mod clean this up when I am done.

No sales numbers. They are expanding promotions. Also they say that they will still focus on travelers as core customer. EPUB demo!! He used the library functions of DE. DE recognized the 505. He sent ePub files to the 505. And now he is reading the ebook in ePub on the 505.

He avoided giving a date of availability. He demoed PDF reflow, but gave no date of availability.

I followed up on availability. They would not give a time frame.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:43 AM   #2
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Sweet!
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2008, 12:30 PM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Ezoanding! I have no idea what it means, but I gotta write this awesome word down.
Too bad they can't promise any dates but DE connectivity does sound pretty sweet.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:39 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
If possible, can you ask them if this will be supported on the PRS-500... or will it require the 505?

Thanks,
BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:41 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
EPUB support! Hopefully the rendering software is more capable and more robust than the LRF renderer.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2008, 12:53 PM   #6
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Did they showcased advanced layouts too ? Using the XSL-FO extensions that Adobe added to the standard ?
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:29 PM   #7
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
"ezoanding" could become the next "Pwned"!

Usage: He pwned so many of the other playa's that his ego has ezoanded to planethead size!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:49 PM   #8
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
If you google "ezoanding", this thread is the TOP hit!!

...nah, it is the only hit, lol. But thanks for the great report Nate. Now I am praying that they bring epub to PRS-500 users as well. Although knowing Sony, I am not optimistic at all.
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:25 PM   #9
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
I know what I want, and I want it NOW! I want my new Sony Reader Firmware 'cuz I'm Mr. Reader...sing it with me!
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:25 AM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
If possible, can you ask them if this will be supported on the PRS-500... or will it require the 505?

Thanks,
BOb
Only the 505.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:07 AM   #11
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I wonder why people are getting so exciting about this DE issue.
It is just another DRM...

I will follow my MS lit path.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:55 AM   #12
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I wonder why people are getting so exciting about this DE issue.
It is just another DRM...

I will follow my MS lit path.
I'd rather use a DRM that can work on multiple devices and that is available for a large number of online stores, than a DRM that works strictly on PRS devices and is only available on Sony's store.

It's true that with LIT you can easily remove the DRM though... CSS and embedded fonts in ePub will enable better looking books on the other hand.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:00 AM   #13
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
I'd rather use a DRM that can work on multiple devices and that is available for a large number of online stores, than a DRM that works strictly on PRS devices and is only available on Sony's store.

It's true that with LIT you can easily remove the DRM though... CSS and embedded fonts in ePub will enable better looking books on the other hand.
I would not buy Sony's LRF books even if they were DRM free.
What if I want to buy CyBook in 3 years? Then all my LRFs go to recyling bin including hard yearned money I paid for them. No chance.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:20 AM   #14
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I would not buy Sony's LRF books even if they were DRM free.
What if I want to buy CyBook in 3 years? Then all my LRFs go to recyling bin including hard yearned money I paid for them. No chance.
True, that's why we need an open standard.

I agree that the best solution from a consumer perspective would be DRM free ePub, but unfortunately, content providers are not ready to remove DRM yet (it'll happen one day, take a look at the music industry).
In the meantime I'd rather use a DRM format that's not linked to a specific store or device (Kindle & Amazon or Sony & eBookStore are good examples of what a consumer should avoid).
Old 05-15-2008, 06:34 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's why I prefer the Mobi format, Hadrien. Multiple stores and multiple DRM providers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote