Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-24-2014, 06:42 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
The Complete Zimiamvia (Zimiamvia) to be released - Great and difficult fantasy

Finally, these are being formally released as ebooks:

The Complete Zimiamvia (Zimiamvia) - This is supposed be released Dec. 4.

I've read two of them - one being "The Worm Ouroboros" twice.

These are great, ornate, difficult, challenging fantasy novels.

"The Worm Ourorboros" is one of the most delicious fantasy novels I've ever read, but the other 3 novels are very, very challenging. You may wish to give only that one a try.

They were all released as part of the Ballantine Adult Fantasy series. The editor of the series was Lin Carter, a man who introduced some of the most incredible fantasy works to the general public and to lovers of fantasy way back in the late 1960s.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fish.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	131531   Click image for larger version

Name:	mezentian.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	131532   Click image for larger version

Name:	mistressofmist.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	131533   Click image for larger version

Name:	workour.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	131534  

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-24-2014 at 06:47 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:48 PM   #2
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I like ornate, difficult and challenging (loved Book of the New Sun), but are we talking Gormengast difficult?
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2014, 07:55 PM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Not PD (yet) certainly as he died in 1945. The book is available for pre-order at Kobo for $29.99 which seems a bit steep to me. I mean it's not a new series.

Last edited by crich70; 11-24-2014 at 07:58 PM.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:19 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
I like ornate, difficult and challenging (loved Book of the New Sun), but are we talking Gormengast difficult?

MUCH more difficult.

(I honestly found the Gormengast Trilogy easy going and a pure delight.)
Old 11-25-2014, 05:36 AM   #5
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Finally, these are being formally released as ebooks:

The Complete Zimiamvia (Zimiamvia) - This is supposed be released Dec. 4.

I've read two of them - one being "The Worm Ouroboros" twice.

"The Worm Ourorboros" is one of the most delicious fantasy novels I've ever read, but the other 3 novels are very, very challenging. You may wish to give only that one a try.

They were all released as part of the Ballantine Adult Fantasy series. The editor of the series was Lin Carter, a man who introduced some of the most incredible fantasy works to the general public and to lovers of fantasy way back in the late 1960s.
My paper copy of the Worm Ouroboros is the Ballantine version bought many, many years ago. It's an older style (well, duh written in 1922), but I didn't find it particularly difficult, just different. I have Mistress of Mistresses, but not the other two.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2014, 05:46 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

"The Worm Ouroboros" is not difficult at all, as yo mention. It's written in an ornate and beautiful writing style, and was a joy to read.

The other three ARE difficult, in my opinion.

I plan to buy this entire omnibus set when it is released.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:50 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

"The Worm Ouroboros" is available in our library, by the way.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:22 AM   #8
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I have a paper copy of The Worm Ourobouros, and I must admit I bounced off it, in the one attempt I have made. I guess I just wasn't in the mood for that style.

Eddison will be out of copyright here in Europe in a little over a year, so I'm not sure I'm in a rush to part with any money.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:53 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

I own these in the Adult Fantasy Series.

I have an almost complete set of the entire Adult Fantasy Series, and all are in Excellent condition, since I'm also a collector.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:22 AM   #10
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I own these in the Adult Fantasy Series.

I have an almost complete set of the entire Adult Fantasy Series, and all are in Excellent condition, since I'm also a collector.
I don't have them all, but I have quite a few of them. That's how I found such classics as Anderson's The Broken Sword, Walton's books, Kurtz's Deryni series and such authors as Lord Dunsany and William Morris. I don't collect per se, I just buy books to read and never throw them away. A lot of those books are slowly coming out as ebooks - Evangeline Walton's Mabinogion Tetralogy came out about a year ago, for example.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:46 AM   #11
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I don't have them all, but I have quite a few of them. That's how I found such classics as Anderson's The Broken Sword,
Oh yes, The Broken Sword! One of my favourites.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:04 AM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I don't have them all, but I have quite a few of them. That's how I found such classics as Anderson's The Broken Sword, Walton's books, Kurtz's Deryni series and such authors as Lord Dunsany and William Morris. I don't collect per se, I just buy books to read and never throw them away. A lot of those books are slowly coming out as ebooks - Evangeline Walton's Mabinogion Tetralogy came out about a year ago, for example.

I actually read those titles WHEN they came out - which was a long time ago!
Old 11-26-2014, 08:22 AM   #13
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Looking at the covers I have to wonder if they inspired Michael Ende when he wrote "The Neverending Story."
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 04:02 PM   #14
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
I read all four years ago. The Worm Ourobouros is definitely an order of magnitude easier to read than the trilogy, but I enjoyed them all.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 11:43 AM   #15
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I actually read those titles WHEN they came out - which was a long time ago!
I didn't actually start buying books until the mid 70's, so I don't think I got them on the first printing, but I did buy most of them new some time between 75 and 82.