Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
Manosk
Manosk knows the square root of minus one.Manosk knows the square root of minus one.Manosk knows the square root of minus one.Manosk knows the square root of minus one.Manosk knows the square root of minus one.Manosk knows the square root of minus one.Manosk knows the square root of minus one.Manosk knows the square root of minus one.Manosk knows the square root of minus one.Manosk knows the square root of minus one.Manosk knows the square root of minus one.

Device: iPad 3
Forthcoming Kobo devices

Hi, I currently read my ebooks (mainly epubs) on my iPad, but I would like to buy a more compact device to read outside.

I've just noticed that Kobo Mini and Kobo Touch are sold at a huge discount and I'm really tempted to buy one of them, probably the Touch.

Before placing my order I would like to know why they are selling those two models at lower prices. Are there some new models in the pipeline?

Can you suggest me a website when I can read some "rumors" about forthcoming Kobo devices (think of macrumors for the Apple universe)?

Thanks
Manosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:17 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
No rumors any of us know of
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Only information is, that the new device seems to have the same screen resolution as the Glow.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
BWinmill
Nameless Being

There are hints of an upcoming device in the firmware updates, but we don't know when they are going to be released nor what they're going to be. Since the hints are in the existing firmware, I wouldn't expect much of a difference on the software front and, as tshering noted, not much of a change in the screen.

If you think that the mini and Touch are a good deal at current prices, I'd go for it. I can't speak for the mini, but the Touch is a solid device.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #5
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
No rumors any of us know of

...but as far as something new coming down the pipeline, I'd bet my cat that Kobo has something new and shiny in store for us and ready to be stuffed in our x-mas stocking.

But hey, for $40 I'd buy the Mini just because. And it's kinda handy-dandy to be able to stuff a reader in pocket easy breasy like.

Last edited by mr_nihilism; 07-09-2013 at 04:39 PM.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nihilism View Post
...but as far as something new coming down the pipeline, I'd bet my cat that Kobo has something new and shiny in store for us and ready to be stuffed in our x-mas stocking.
Damn, and I just bought the most shiniest Kobo Aura in whole wide world... now I gotta do this at Christmas again?

regards

JAck
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
You can't get much more compact than the Mini. At that price, you can't go wrong, even if they announce a new one next week. Your resale value should hold up fine.

I think everyone was surprised when they released the Kobo Aura, so you never know when they will spring another one. I'd like a lighted Mini, myself!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:49 PM   #8
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Yep, there is a group of us hoping for a lighted Mini! But so far nothing confirmed. For the price, you can't beat the Mini as an introduction to eReaders (like I did). It really is a pleasure to read on outside, in the sun and easy to store and carry with you to the pool on holiday...
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:39 PM   #9
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Damn, and I just bought the most shiniest Kobo Aura in whole wide world... now I gotta do this at Christmas again?
Yes, it is absolutely compulsory! However I shall provide a community service by providing a postal address to which you can send your outdated Aura for, um, recycling.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:35 AM   #10
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
The mini has just gone back up to full price in the UK so who knows what kobo are planing.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:01 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I don't think you can use the price of the Mini as an indicator of a new product. It seems to be the Kobo device that is discount the most often.

The Touch might be different. It is about two years old, but the hardware has been refreshed twice. I wouldn't be surprised if the replaced it soon, or dropped it sometime soon.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:32 AM   #12
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
The Glo seems like a pretty natural successor to the Touch... I could see keeping an unlit 6" device, but Kobo doesn't really compete with Amazon on the low end pricing, and they have the Mini. Maybe we'll get lucky and get a Mini with lighting. I can't imagine it would be all that hard to shoehorn some LEDs and a driver circuit into the case, since the Glo is actually shorter than the Touch... I think a smaller device with lighting would be a nice way to go, but baring that a reader with a flexible e-ink display might be another way to go.

I think now that the Genie is out of the bottle it's going to be hard to make money with unlit e-ink displays. The lighting is just such a handy feature at the expensive of only a bit of contrast.

Last edited by TechniSol; 07-10-2013 at 05:35 AM. Reason: auto-mistake keyboard
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:41 AM   #13
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
The Glo seems like a pretty natural successor to the Touch... I could see keeping an unlit 6" device, but Kobo doesn't really compete with Amazon on the low end pricing, and they have the Mini. Maybe we'll get lucky and get a Mini with lighting. I can't imagine it would be all that hard to shoehorn some LEDs and a driver circuit into the case, since the Glo is actually shorter than the Touch... I think a smaller device with lighting would be a nice way to go, but baring that a reader with a flexible e-ink display might be another way to go.

I think now that the Genie is out of the bottle it's going to be hard to make money with unlit e-ink displays. The lighting is just such a handy feature at the expensive of only a bit of contrast.
absolutely... lighting is everything... it makes the device look so much more desirable.

regards

JAck
Old 07-10-2013, 06:42 AM   #14
jackastor
Wizard

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Yes, it is absolutely compulsory! However I shall provide a community service by providing a postal address to which you can send your outdated Aura for, um, recycling.
LOL Recycling would of course be the responsible thing to do.

regards

Jack
Old 07-10-2013, 07:52 AM   #15
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
absolutely... lighting is everything... it makes the device look so much more desirable.
More desirable, certainly. Everything, nah.

Keep in mind the price difference is significant. There is a $20 difference between the Touch and the Glo ($50 at the moment) and $40 difference between the mini and the Glo ($90 at the moment). That is a lot of money for a light bulb and a battery.