Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #961
maxjens
Connoisseur
maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad & Bebook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
maxjens, I'm not sure I'm understanding.
When i open Marvin i see all the books i have read until that moment. My idee is to reuse this layout, but then for all the books that are in Marvin. Selecting a book in the bottom row will not open the book but display it as larger image with the meta info as you now display the last opened / read book. The last idee was to add a ribbon at the top of the screen with the alphabet, so you can select the first letter of the writers name. This is only needed when a large number of books are in Marvin.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #962
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
You mean in the library?
Advert
Old 03-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #963
maxjens
Connoisseur
maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	495.5 KB
ID:	102181

I mean this screen
Old 03-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #964
Rhialto
Enthusiast
Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjens View Post
Attachment 102181

I mean this screen
I agree with Max. The Marvin intro screen is inelegant. The row of recently read books is like the Kindle Fire's carousel....irritating. If you open a book and then decide not to read it,you may be looking at the cover of that book for a long time before it is bumped off that screen.
Can we have an option to customize it to have it display a different selection if we want, like the Calibre bookshelf display?

Use some of that screen real estate to show more meta-information on the currently selected book or for a library browser .. or something....
Old 03-01-2013, 03:28 PM   #965
Kretzer
out of depth
Kretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: iPad2, iPhone 5, Kindle3 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhialto View Post
Use some of that screen real estate to show more meta-information on the currently selected book or for a library browser .. or something....
... or just ad an option to start the app with the library screen. The start screen looks elegant, I think, but it doesn't give you any additional information.
Advert
Old 03-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #966
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhialto View Post
The Marvin intro screen is inelegant. The row of recently read books is like the Kindle Fire's carousel....irritating.
I strongly disagree. I like Marvin's intro screen just the way it is now, and I hope Kris will not mess it up. If anything, Kris might give users options to choose a different type of start screen if they want, but please preserve the current start screen for those of us who prefer it this way.

As to start-up options, it has long been my wish for Marvin to resume wherever it was open the previous time: a specific book, the Library, or the start screen. Kris said he will make this possible in a future Marvin version.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:04 AM   #967
maxjens
Connoisseur

Bad eyes

To be clear, my suggestion was to use the start screen as an additional view for the library views. This for people that have bad eye sight and need a larger cover and fonts.

The start screen has all that. It looks great and hopefully can be easily reused.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #968
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I can't recall if I ever made this request in the past... but when there is more than one book by a single author, instead of having them in a single list, can we have a separate author page, when sorting by author? *BEG* (as in the way Stanza organises sorting by Author)

I often will have a series or three on board and one thing I detest is having them all in the same long long listing. Imagine having Piers Anthony's Xanth series, Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, and Terry Pratchett's Discworld, all in one list.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 03-02-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:01 PM   #969
Karin54
Karin54 got an A in P-Chem.Karin54 got an A in P-Chem.Karin54 got an A in P-Chem.Karin54 got an A in P-Chem.Karin54 got an A in P-Chem.Karin54 got an A in P-Chem.Karin54 got an A in P-Chem.Karin54 got an A in P-Chem.Karin54 got an A in P-Chem.Karin54 got an A in P-Chem.Karin54 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: iPhone5, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I can't recall if I ever made this request in the past... but when there is more than one book by a single author, instead of having them in a single list, can we have a separate author page, when sorting by author? *BEG* (as in the way Stanza organises sorting by Author)

I often will have a series or three on board and one thing I detest is having them all in the same long long listing. Imagine having Piers Anthony's Xanth series, Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, and Terry Pratchett's Discworld, all in one list.
I totally agree
Old 03-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #970
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
One folders/tags/whatever is in place you canset it up however you want. I have found using the sort by series feature works great.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #971
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

maxjens, now I understand. I'll think about how this can be done.
kyteflyer, coming very soon.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:41 AM   #972
maxjens
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
maxjens, now I understand. I'll think about how this can be done.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #973
Rachel
Zealot
Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony prs505, kindle, ithing
Does anybody have any thoughts on why I cannot access my Calibre server? I have entered the address as it appears at the top of the server when I press the test server button (I've also tried using my ip address). I am getting the error message Cannot load page. Make sure that the address is correct and that you are connected to the internet. I do have a McAfee firewall, but Stanza can access the server, so why can't Marvin? (Unfortunately I can't see the address that Stanza is using as the app finds the server itself). What am I doing wrong please?

I can access my OPDS catalog fine - but of course any books added since I last ran that are not accessible.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:56 PM   #974
mariosipad
Guru
mariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watch

Device: iPad & iPhone with Marvin 2 + 3 & Kobo Glo HD
@Rachel

To connect to Calibre from within your LAN you have to do the following in Marvin: (I assume you only need the address)

Address: http://<IP-address-of-your-PC-with-Calibre>:8080/opds

The <IP-address-of-your-PC-with-Calibre> and the port (probably 8080 or 8000 or something like that) can be found in Calibre under the Menu [Connect/share].

This is what worked for me.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:32 AM   #975
kguil
Addict

Hi Rachel, in many cases you have to append '/opds' at the end of the address.
Closed Thread