Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-10-2012, 05:25 AM   #1
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Is there a way to transfer "Read" tag to reader?

I just loaded all my books onto a 2nd spare reader I have (PRS-350), and was wondering if there's an easier way to mark which books have already been read instead of opening each one. Within Calibre, I have an extra column for "Read", so is there a way to transfer that info when loading the books?
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:42 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use the generate catalog feature to generate an epub catalog. Other than that, readers dont have support for custom metadata.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2012, 07:30 AM   #3
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I just loaded all my books onto a 2nd spare reader I have (PRS-350), and was wondering if there's an easier way to mark which books have already been read instead of opening each one. Within Calibre, I have an extra column for "Read", so is there a way to transfer that info when loading the books?
I know this is not a direct answer to your question, but I would store that information in Calibre instead. You can create a custom column called "Read?" with yes/no as option. In the Sony device interface plugin you can use this column to create collections. This way you're not depending on the device to maintain the information.
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, thanks for the replies. I do have a column in Calibre that I check when read, but I sort of like the new tags on books I haven't yet read on the reader. I was just hoping for an easy way to do it for the second reader and as I typed that out, it dawned on me that I could have transferred over a file from the first reader to the second reader that contained all the read tags.

Well, I'll remember this for next time if I ever get a third PRS-350.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:35 AM   #5
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
I use the rating column - the number of stars have meaning for me - I use 2 stars or more to show I have read the book. That way I can sort them on my reader and the unread ones can sort first.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #6
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

I love the generate catalog function. When I have it create an epub though, at the end of some book descriptions, sometimes at the end of each paragraph within the description, I often get this little symbol: �

I can't find anything consistent between the ones that show it or not. I've tried removing all formatting from those descriptions, sometimes that works and sometimes it makes no difference. I've tried removing all unnecessary html tags, and sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't as well.

Does anyone know why it's sometimes spitting out that little symbol?
Old 09-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I love the generate catalog function. When I have it create an epub though, at the end of some book descriptions, sometimes at the end of each paragraph within the description, I often get this little symbol: �

I can't find anything consistent between the ones that show it or not. I've tried removing all formatting from those descriptions, sometimes that works and sometimes it makes no difference. I've tried removing all unnecessary html tags, and sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't as well.

There is a character in the text that is not supported by your reader (or current font set). Description originally came from someplace outsid Calibre. Who knows what is coded in that
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:35 PM   #8
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Quote:
theducks is probably right, but I'll also bet him a drink of his beverage of choice that it's a charset encoding problem (as in utf-8 vs iso-8859-1, for instance).

If you could attach the problematic catalogue file we could probably give a better answer. Also mention how the description got there (Downloaded? Copied from a document/the net? Typed directly into the field? From source files?). How are you viewing the file, with which program or device?

Oh, and I'll mention that you should probably have made a new thread with a descriptive subject, primarily because a lot more people would see your question. This gives you a better chance that someone who has experienced the same problem can answer you directly. Now it's buried in a thread about tags and "read status"

Anyway, attach your catalogue epub and let's see if we can isolate the issue. Indicate the location of a couple of question marks as I might not see the same result.

Last edited by Man Eating Duck; 09-13-2012 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Clarification of bet :)
Old 09-13-2012, 10:35 PM   #9
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

The catalog epub is quite large for a book, over 5mb, so really don't want to upload it. But the odd character is coming only from a handful of books within the catalog from their comment section. The majority of comments were downloaded with metadata. In some cases if it was missing or not much of a description, I'd copy and paste it into the comment section.

For a few books that have it in the comment section once generated into an epub, I've deleted all comments, tried pasting it back in, tried typing it back in in case some odd character carried over even from notepad, and most of the � are still there. I did manage to get rid of a few of them, but I really have no idea how, there's nothing consistent about it.

Such as this is what shows for "Wuthering Heights" in the catalog when viewed through the Calibre viewer:

Spoiler:
Wuthering Heights is a gothic novel, and the only novel by Emily Brontë. It was first published in 1847 under the pseudonym Ellis Bell, and a posthumous second edition was edited by her sister Charlotte.�

The name of the novel comes from the Yorkshire manor on the moors on which the story centres (as an adjective; wuthering is a Yorkshire word referring to turbulent weather). The narrative tells the tale of the all-encompassing and passionate, yet thwarted, love between Heathcliff and Catherine Earnshaw, and how this unresolved passion eventually destroys them and many around them.�

Now considered a classic of English literature, Wuthering Heights met with mixed reviews by critics when it first appeared, mainly because of the narrative's stark depiction of mental and physical cruelty. Though Charlotte Brontë's Jane Eyre was initially considered the best of the Brontë sisters' works, many subsequent critics of Wuthering Heights argued that its originality and achievement made it superior. Wuthering Heights has also given rise to many adaptations and inspired works, including films, radio, television dramatisations, a musical by Bernard J. Taylor, ballet, opera, and song.

Viewing it on my PRS-350 however, there's only one odd normal ? at the end of the 3rd paragraph, nowhere else. It's not in the same position as the odd � symbols are.

I should add that the odd symbol does not appear within the Calibre interface in the comment section for any book.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:42 AM   #10
Man Eating Duck
Addict

Quote:
Viewing it on my PRS-350 however, there's only one odd normal ? at the end of the 3rd paragraph, nowhere else. It's not in the same position as the odd � symbols are.

I should add that the odd symbol does not appear within the Calibre interface in the comment section for any book.
5mb equals about four reloads of a regular online newspaper front page, but I understand that you might not want to share your catalog

Anyway, try deleting a few of the characters "surrounding" the position of the question mark, and type them again. For instance the bolded characters here:

"...second edition was edited by her sister Charlotte.�

T
he name of the novel comes..."

If that doesn't help, maybe you could create a new library and copy only this book there, and make a tiny catalog to upload?

Last edited by Man Eating Duck; 09-14-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #11
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

Retyping the end and beginning of both problem paragraphs (not just a few letter, at least half of the sentences) got rid of one of the symbols, but not the 2nd one. So I looked at the html tab again and found there was a space before the tags at the end of the paragraph. Eliminated the extra space and all the � symbols were now gone when viewed in Calibre's viewer, and there's no odd ? at the end of the comment when viewed on the reader either.

I wouldn't have thought having a space before a tag would have caused anything like that, but all comments on all books are now rid of the pesky � symbol. Thanks for the push in the right direction.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Retyping the end and beginning of both problem paragraphs (not just a few letter, at least half of the sentences) got rid of one of the symbols, but not the 2nd one. So I looked at the html tab again and found there was a space before the tags at the end of the paragraph. Eliminated the extra space and all the � symbols were now gone when viewed in Calibre's viewer, and there's no odd ? at the end of the comment when viewed on the reader either.

I wouldn't have thought having a space before a tag would have caused anything like that, but all comments on all books are now rid of the pesky � symbol. Thanks for the push in the right direction.
That may not be a 'normal' space. It may be some other version: Thin, non-breaking... that does not import/transition well
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #13
Man Eating Duck
Addict

Quote:
Retyping the end and beginning of both problem paragraphs (not just a few letter, at least half of the sentences) got rid of one of the symbols, but not the 2nd one.
Ah, I actually meant the end + beginning of the sentences including the line break and other whitespace in between Sorry about that, I should have been clearer. And yes, a hairspace or other fancy utf-8 character is a likely culprit

Glad you got it sorted.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:35 PM   #14
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

Apparently that's the case. Finding it hard to believe, I edited the comments again to add a few spaces, and that gave me no funny symbol at all.

But now that I know about it, whenever I add new books, I'll double check the metadata before it becomes a noticeable (and annoying, to me at least) issue.

Thanks again for the help in sorting it out.

Edit @Man Eating Duck: Yes, I made sure I redid any spacing between the sentences and paragraphs including line breaks when I did it. Which is why it seemed odd it went away for one paragraph, but not the other that made me check the html tab again for any differences.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 09-14-2012 at 02:37 PM.