Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 03-04-2012, 05:00 AM   #61
Kboland
Zealot
Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Anyone else use Go Launcher and the associated widgets? I'm having errors with the Calendar and Switch widgets not loading properly after the update and re-root.

Cheers

Edit: removed the widgets and reinstalled. The Calendar works now, but switch still a no go. Might be the last update has put it out of our reach as long as we're running 2.3.

Last edited by Kboland; 03-04-2012 at 05:24 AM.
Kboland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:57 AM   #62
andrelli
andrelli began at the beginning.

Device: vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by danifunker View Post
3) Make a new folder in your user profile ( %USERPROFILE% ) and call it .android

When I try to rename the new file folder it is telling me "You must type a file name.". What exactly am I doing wrong? I am using vista 32.
andrelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #63
Kboland
Zealot
Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrelli View Post
When I try to rename the new file folder it is telling me "You must type a file name.". What exactly am I doing wrong? I am using vista 32.
I had that problem too. Seems it has something to do with how the user account is set up. I was able to do it on my laptop, but not able to use the laptop to root, so I copied the folder to my desktop (on which i ran into the "You must type a file name." problem) using dropbox. I'm not sure though how to fix it in your case, other than suggesting to try and create the /.android folder on another machine and copy it over.

Cheers and good luck
Kboland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:11 AM   #64
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
An EASY means to do this is to get OUT of the Windows GUI and actually revert to that arc arcaic command line!

Commands like MD or MKDIR to create a directory; CD or CHDIR to change directories can prove most useful...

Try something like
Code:
cd %USERPROFILE%
md .android
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:41 AM   #65
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
I'm sorry, I'm confused. I thought the SOD and the wake from sleep thing were one and the same problem. What my experience was with this is that if I placed the Vox in sleep mode or if I let it go to sleep on its own and my wifi was off, then when I woke it up from sleep, the Vox would be frozen. I could get the screen and sometimes the slider would work, sometimes I was permitted one function afterward and then the Vox would freeze solid and I would have to do the 10 second reset thing to restart it. I haven't fussed with this for months now, I just leave wifi on. If I'm at home, I put the Vox to sleep and put it on the charger. If I'm away, I turn the Vox right off when I'm not using it to preserve the battery power. Our vehicle has a 110 outlet so if we're on the road, I take my charger with me and I can charge the Vox on the go.

I haven't tested it with the wifi off since the update, laziness on my part, I guess. I just want to read and I sometimes browse a bit on the web, but I've become weary of fussing with the thing. I'm really enjoying the Vox as a reader, and for me the biggest plus is that I can purchase and read books from different sources, be it my public library (Overdrive), Sony, or Kindle. I don't mind having to use several different apps to do it.

I haven't had any problems with the recent update. I had one facebook nag thing come up the first time I opened a Kobo book, reminding me I wasn't logged into facebook, etc. I chose whatever option said I didn't want to connect to facebook and hoped I wouldn't see this each time I opened a Kobo book. I'm not on facebook and I'm not interested in 'social reading'. The facebook nag box, thankfully, has not come up again.

The recommended reading icon is at the bottom of my screen, but it doesn't bother me. I don't have to look at it. I preferred the 'reading now' icon, though, and I did use it sometimes, but I see it is now gone.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2012, 09:41 AM   #66
kcarscadden
Zealot
kcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad Air 5, Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Expansion of step 2 above:

- Open zip file download and drag folder ZergRush-forKobo to a known location within Windows Explorer (for example, C:\Vox) This creates the .android folder required.

Expansion of step 7 above for Windows Vista:

- In Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Device Manager, find the entry for K080.
- Right click, click Update Driver Software.
- In resulting dialog box, click Browse my computer for driver software.
- In resulting dialog box, click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
- In resulting dialog box, click Have Disk
- In resulting dialog box Install from Disk, click Browse, point to
C:\Vox\ZergRuch-forKobo\usb_driver. File name: will change to android_winusb.inf
- In returned to dialog box Install from Disk, click OK
- In resulting dialog box, click on Android USB Interface and click Next
- Windows warning appears. Click Yes
- Driver installs.
- Reboot

Keith

Last edited by kcarscadden; 03-04-2012 at 09:44 AM. Reason: minor fixes
kcarscadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:51 AM   #67
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Kat View Post
I'm sorry, I'm confused. I thought the SOD and the wake from sleep thing were one and the same problem.
I believe one causes the other (in my experience, as soon as a wake from sleep happens, a subsequent attempt to wake the vox reveals sleep of death). But I don't get the sense anyone agrees with me.

[edit]: Oh, and to clarify, wake from sleep refers to the screen turning on by itself when the unit is asleep.

Last edited by mr_nobody; 03-04-2012 at 09:54 AM.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #68
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
[edit]: Oh, and to clarify, wake from sleep refers to the screen turning on by itself when the unit is asleep.
Oh, LOL! Thanks. Yes, I think that had been happening to me, but I don't know how often. My Vox sits on the charger in my bedroom when I'm not using it, so if it is turning on by itself, I'm usually not around to see it, but I remember catching it in the act once in a while.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #69
Cameronpaterson
Addict
Cameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, iPad, iPhone
Question

Oddly, this update is still a no show for me here in the UK. Besides fixing/ not fixing the sleep issues (which I haven't really experienced anyway), there must be some other changes and new features?
Cameronpaterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #70
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
The most obvious change is the addition of recommended reading promo stuff to the home page. Not sure if you purchase Kobo books from the same website in the UK, so it may be irrelevant. Other changes may be real, imagined or just unintended glitches. I'm still waiting for official word from a Kobo rep listing what has been changed, added or fixed.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #71
mameloche
mameloche began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by danifunker View Post
I've created a little bit of a package, and here are some instructions:

1) Download the package ZergRush-forKobo.zip
2) Extract the files from the package
3) Make a new folder in your user profile ( %USERPROFILE% ) and call it .android
4) Copy the file adb_usb.ini to the new .android folder
5) On the Kobo: Turn on USB Debugging under the development options
6) Connect the Kobo to the Windows PC
7) Go into Device Manager, and double-click on the K080 device, it should be listed under unknown. Choose "Update Driver" and pick "Let me choose a driver for this device", point it to the usb_driver package (in my instance I extracted the package to C:\temp, so my full path name was C:\temp\ZergRush-forKobo\usb_driver ). A list of devices will appear, choose ADB Interface
8) Restart the computer
9) Open up the zergrush runme.bat script and let it do it's magic, in my instance it was C:\temp\ZergRush-forKobo\zergrush\runme.bat
10) Install OogleVox
11) Donate!

haha, had to throw in that last one I've spent more time with Kobo and MobileRead forums in the last 24 hours than I have with my partner!
Hi,

I wasn't able to connect with those drivers -- tried with my 64-bit Windows 7, and 32-bit XP. Is it just that XP wasn't planned upon, and neither was 64-bit goodness?

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: Never mind, I was successful (borrowed roommate's 32 bit Windows 7 laptop, everything ran like silk. Thanks!)

Last edited by mameloche; 03-04-2012 at 12:06 PM. Reason: GOT IT!
mameloche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #72
Cameronpaterson
Addict
Cameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
The most obvious change is the addition of recommended reading promo stuff to the home page. Not sure if you purchase Kobo books from the same website in the UK, so it may be irrelevant. Other changes may be real, imagined or just unintended glitches. I'm still waiting for official word from a Kobo rep listing what has been changed, added or fixed.
Ads for other books on the home page? That doesn't sound very promising I was hoping for some of the iOS reading life features to be rolled over and perhaps some new awards (which Sharkus has indicated are on their way)...
Cameronpaterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #73
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
SOD seems fixed and WFS still broken. I don't think they're connected.
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #74
jsokal
jsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: vox
As far as I am concerned this was a software update NOT a firmware update. Thats why the problems were not fixed.
jsokal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #75
Senior
Zealot
Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Vox
I'm home this week with something called the shingles, and not the ones on the house, the ones on my body. Being Lent it is nice to see that they are purple, but man do they pain. Thank God for my Kobo Vox. I had loaded a few old classics awhile back and I have been enjoying then these last few days. Today I received a notification that there was a new update, so I went for it. The operation went very smoothly and I am quite impressed so far with what I received. I use the Kindle app which goes give suggestions, so it is nice to see Kobo doing the same. As I am an old book buying Amazon fan I can see why their suggestions are more accurate, mainly because of me downloading the classics that Kobo's suggestions are a bit hilarious (that will change).
Senior is offline   Reply With Quote