Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-25-2011, 01:08 AM   #16
netrobot
Edge User

What we need is a part number from someplace like MCM Electronics!

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/browse/Plugs/0000000667

If THAT is the little monkey we need, THAT'S where to get it. If I knew the size for sure, I'd get several. I have enough 12volt 1amp DC adapters that I can make one to go next to my bed, one in the office and one by the couch, and hardwire a cord in the car. That'd leave the original one for my carry bag.

Maybe I'll take my PE to Radio Shack tomorrow and match the plug to find out for sure. Hopefully they'll have the size associated with the plug that fits! Radio Shack used to be an ELECTRONICS supplier, but lately they don't even carry solder.

I figured out that my Icom scanner uses the same connector as the PE, and a source at Icom claims it's a 2.1mm plug. It could be a mistake, but it seems plausible. So maybe it's this one:

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...-5901-/27-5901

Last edited by netrobot; 05-25-2011 at 02:13 AM.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:14 AM   #17
netrobot
Edge User

@Ivan
Hmmm... that might explain the smoke and the funny smell...

But seriously, one thing you can be sure NOT to get in a Honda is excess POWER!

Advert
Old 05-25-2011, 06:29 AM   #18
ivan
Edge User

Netrobot, it usually does but as you have a Honda, well... All I can say is don't try it without a regulator in a large 4x4.

If the plug is the same size as the one for the EE then you need one that is 3.5 mm OD with a 1.3 mm hole and is at least 9.5 mm long. A plug that is 2.1 mm OD will have a hole that is too small and is likely to cause the pin in the socket to break.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:37 PM   #19
netrobot
Edge User

The only way this is going to get solved is to take a PE to a parts store, find the connector that fits it, and read the package. I made another adapter by joining a cable I had that fit with an old AC adapter -- now I have two. My Icom scanner uses the same plug, but I'm not willing to chop up the adapter for something that works.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:39 AM   #20
ivan
Edge User

netrobot, this is the one you are looking for http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...-1110-/27-1110

Advert
Old 05-27-2011, 01:23 PM   #21
Ressie
Edge User

Just a word of caution when using inverters, make sure your car can handle it. Most SUV's and trucks have extra juice from the alternator to power extra accessories, specially since they would have plugs for trailers, etc. Compact cars and the misc, usually only have 10-15A in reserve for accessories, so having an inverter of more than 150 watts could be a bad thing. Always check your owners manual for your vehicle specs =) personally I like the accessory posted by the OP, but I instead made my own with 3 dollars worth of parts, just need a DC-DC buck inverter and a lil DIY time.