Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-18-2011, 10:58 AM   #46
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Dale, I hope this is the section you were referencing:

<head>
<title>With This Fling…</title>
<link href="../Styles/page-template.xpgt" rel="stylesheet" type="application/vnd.adobe-page-template+xml" />
<link href="../Styles/9781459205581.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
<meta content="urn:uuid:96d9b0eb-d6fe-4256-9022-c93a9539910b" name="Adept.expected.resource" />

<style type="text/css">
p.sgc-2 {text-indent: 0%;}
h2.sgc-1 {text-indent: 0%;}
</style>
</head>

I did delete the .xpgt file but the characters were already there.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:45 PM   #47
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
At the very top of the file put:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2011, 02:04 PM   #48
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
At the very top of the file put:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

Dale
Do I do this on each of the html files? Do I need to reload the epub file into Sigil somehow?

I changed the first line of one of the files, the one that read:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

to the one you gave me, saved it and exited. I tried to view it with Reader Library and it still had the other characters. When I brought it back up in Sigil, the line was back to the old code: <?xml version="1.0"?> . I have no idea why.

If I don't bring the epub file up in Sigil, the original displays with the correct characters. When I bring it up in Sigil and save, the wrong characters are there (are they Ascii? - I don't know what to call them).
Old 07-18-2011, 02:36 PM   #49
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
Do I do this on each of the html files? Do I need to reload the epub file into Sigil somehow?

I changed the first line of one of the files, the one that read:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

to the one you gave me, saved it and exited. I tried to view it with Reader Library and it still had the other characters. When I brought it back up in Sigil, the line was back to the old code: <?xml version="1.0"?> . I have no idea why.

If I don't bring the epub file up in Sigil, the original displays with the correct characters. When I bring it up in Sigil and save, the wrong characters are there (are they Ascii? - I don't know what to call them).
The are UTF-8 being shown as ASCII. I am not sure why Sigil would switch the top line to remove the entry. That is really strange but you can also encode the same information in the <head> section as:
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />

Either should work but if both are in a file they must agree. Yes, you will need the fix in every file.

Dale
Old 07-18-2011, 02:45 PM   #50
kazbates
Wizard

Dale, There is another call to meta: <meta content="urn:uuid:96d9b0eb-d6fe-4256-9022-c93a9539910b" name="Adept.expected.resource" /> in the <head> section. Can I add a second call or do I have to add on to the first one?

<meta content="urn:uuid:96d9b0eb-d6fe-4256-9022-c93a9539910b" name="Adept.expected.resource" />

or

<meta content="urn:uuid:96d9b0eb-d6fe-4256-9022-c93a9539910b" name="Adept.expected.resource" http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
Advert
Old 07-18-2011, 02:49 PM   #51
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Dale, There is another call to meta: <meta content="urn:uuid:96d9b0eb-d6fe-4256-9022-c93a9539910b" name="Adept.expected.resource" /> in the <head> section. Can I add a second call or do I have to add on to the first one?

or

<meta content="urn:uuid:96d9b0eb-d6fe-4256-9022-c93a9539910b" name="Adept.expected.resource" http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
You can have as many <meta> statements as you like. They are used for lots of things.

Dale
Old 07-18-2011, 03:00 PM   #52
kazbates
Wizard

Okay. That was just weird. I inserted a copy of the line you gave me in all of the html files associated with the book, saved and exited and brought the book up on Reader Library again. The book still had the wonky characters and when I brought it back up in Sigil, the line had been deleted from all of the files. Pretty strange.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:43 PM   #53
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Okay. That was just weird. I inserted a copy of the line you gave me in all of the html files associated with the book, saved and exited and brought the book up on Reader Library again. The book still had the wonky characters and when I brought it back up in Sigil, the line had been deleted from all of the files. Pretty strange.
That is very strange. There is a item called html tidy that is in Sigil. It is likely responsible for all the deletions. It is rather old and not capable of understanding some newer constructs. Given this problem you are having, here is what I would suggest. Most, if not all of your problems, is with curly quotes. Here is how to fix them.

Make a backup of your epub.

In windows - start -> programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Character Map. Make sure a large map is available such as Arial. I have advanced view checked an Character set Unicode. (If you can't find this let me know and I will show you how to get the characters out of our wiki)

Scroll down and get the left double quote mark (or the one you want) and then select it. (U201C)

You will need this map to pick the substitue characters so leave it up.

Now in sigil use code view on the first file and then use the find command to search for the funny character sequence (select and paste both characters in the find)

Now in the replace tab cust and past the unicode character you found on the character map, that you want to replace it with.

Set the replace choice to mulitple files and then replace all.

Repeat these steps for each funny character sequence until you replace all of them with the correct curly quotes.

Save the epub and it should be ok.

Dale
Old 07-18-2011, 07:47 PM   #54
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
I inserted a copy of the line you gave me in all of the html files associated with the book, saved and exited and brought the book up on Reader Library again.
Hopefully not too silly a question, but what's the exact process you're using to edit all the html files? I'd guess
  • Rename .epub to .zip
  • Unzip
  • Edit all html files
  • Add edited files to .zip
  • Rename .zip to .epub

If you're using Calibre, it can do the first two and last two steps above (but you mention opening in Reader Library so I suspect that's not the case).

That all said, I'd just edit the html files directly in Sigil...

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:11 PM   #55
kazbates
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkophilus View Post
Hopefully not too silly a question, but what's the exact process you're using to edit all the html files? I'd guess
  • Rename .epub to .zip
  • Unzip
  • Edit all html files
  • Add edited files to .zip
  • Rename .zip to .epub

If you're using Calibre, it can do the first two and last two steps above (but you mention opening in Reader Library so I suspect that's not the case).

That all said, I'd just edit the html files directly in Sigil...

Cheers,
Simon.
I am using Sigil to edit them. I tried to rename the original epub to a zip, but Windows 7 is making it difficult. I've tried to just change the name using the Rename function and adding .zip but it still recognizes the file as .epub. That's why I asked if there was some way to create the zip file.

Dale, I can use Find/Replace to change the Ascii characters in the file. I was REALLY hoping there was an easier way to change them all without the one-on-one replace. Thank you so much for all your help today.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:04 PM   #56
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
I am using Sigil to edit them. I tried to rename the original epub to a zip, but Windows 7 is making it difficult. I've tried to just change the name using the Rename function and adding .zip but it still recognizes the file as .epub. That's why I asked if there was some way to create the zip file.
In an Explorer window on Windows 7, click the "Organize" button on the top left, then the "Folder and search options" button. In the "View" table, uncheck the "Hide extensions for known file types" option. This then should include the file extension in the filenames in the Explorer windows, and allow you to change the .epub to .zip (with some warning about making the file potentially unusable). You should also be able to rename the epub file from a DOS command prompt as well.

I'm still confused by you saying that you change the first line of a (all?) html file to <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> but that it doesn't seem to "stick" in the epub. If you skip opening in Reader Library and re-open straight away after editing with Sigil again is the line there correctly? I shouldn't think that Reader Library would modify the epubs, but I don't know for sure.

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:51 PM   #57
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

Dale, I can use Find/Replace to change the Ascii characters in the file. I was REALLY hoping there was an easier way to change them all without the one-on-one replace. Thank you so much for all your help today.
By default, W7 hides Known Extensions (ZIP). That may be you problem.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:57 AM   #58
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Yes, you can. That is exactly the process I described. You select one instance and paste it into the find and the use the appropriate correct character and paste it into replace and then you let Sigil search from the first file to the last file and replace everyone it finds. All in one step. Be sure the entry in the dialog is set to multiple-files. If it is set to current file it will only do the one file.

To do this you must open the first file and switch to code view. Then you can open the find/replace menu and enter the text to find (find the multiple character instance but pasting both characters together) and the replace with the correct unicode character by cutting and pasting as I described.

If you have trouble finding the characters in Windows then you can also use the ones in our wiki. Look at page Special characters and scroll down until you find the character you want. The column titled Character shows it. Then highlight the character and use CTRL-C to copy it. Now, in the replace dialog of Sigil you can use CTRL-V to paste it in.

Dale
Old 07-19-2011, 08:51 AM   #59
kazbates
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkophilus View Post
In an Explorer window on Windows 7, click the "Organize" button on the top left, then the "Folder and search options" button. In the "View" table, uncheck the "Hide extensions for known file types" option. This then should include the file extension in the filenames in the Explorer windows, and allow you to change the .epub to .zip (with some warning about making the file potentially unusable). You should also be able to rename the epub file from a DOS command prompt as well.

I'm still confused by you saying that you change the first line of a (all?) html file to <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> but that it doesn't seem to "stick" in the epub. If you skip opening in Reader Library and re-open straight away after editing with Sigil again is the line there correctly? I shouldn't think that Reader Library would modify the epubs, but I don't know for sure.

Cheers,
Simon.
I am confused as well! I did try to open it immediately after closing and before opening with RL and the line was gone. Dale thought that perhaps the Tidy function in Sigil was automatically removing the line. I did try to insert again after unchecking Tidy, but it still did the same thing.

The freed epub works fine in Reader Library before I bring it up in Sigil. Once I open it in Sigil, the ASCII characters appear. If I don't Save the file in anyway, the characters are gone but once I've saved the epub in Sigil, the ASCII characters remain. I really think Dale has it right but I don't know what to do other than to global replaces as Dale suggested or find another epub editor and see if that makes a difference.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:01 AM   #60
kazbates
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Yes, you can. That is exactly the process I described. You select one instance and paste it into the find and the use the appropriate correct character and paste it into replace and then you let Sigil search from the first file to the last file and replace everyone it finds. All in one step. Be sure the entry in the dialog is set to multiple-files. If it is set to current file it will only do the one file.

To do this you must open the first file and switch to code view. Then you can open the find/replace menu and enter the text to find (find the multiple character instance but pasting both characters together) and the replace with the correct unicode character by cutting and pasting as I described.

If you have trouble finding the characters in Windows then you can also use the ones in our wiki. Look at page Special characters and scroll down until you find the character you want. The column titled Character shows it. Then highlight the character and use CTRL-C to copy it. Now, in the replace dialog of Sigil you can use CTRL-V to paste it in.

Dale
Dale, I think I confused you (I seem to be doing that to a lot of people lately ). I understand how to do global replaces using the character set. I'm just frustrated that somehow the characters appear in the first place and would like to fix that problem. I have a number of books from the same publisher that I would like to merge into various anthologies and this strange character switch is happening in almost all of them. I've compared the html commands of one of the epubs that doesn't change the characters to one that does and they are virtually the same. It's just really strange.