Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-10-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Think I might get Nook...

I have been considering getting a Nook. My local library has Overdrive and eBooks compatible with Nook. The Kindle doesn't work with the library, apparently, hence my leaning towards Nook.

I was concerned because there were a couple of books I thought I might have to get from Amazon and I don't think you can read the Kindle books on a Nook but those appear to be available for purchase in Nook-friendly format elsewhere like Smashwords, etc. I do foresee using it more with the library.

So, I'm thinking the basic WiFi Nook that is $149. The Kindle doesn't work with the library and I'm never getting an iPad. They are a bit over the price range and I'm worried about compatibility issues with it. Is there anything else I should know? I'll probably get the Nook in the next pay period or so...
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:05 PM   #2
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Overdrive also has a lot of Adobe Digital Editions books that can be read by a lot of readers including my Libra Pro and the Kobo. Also remember that if you buy a Nook Color you will not have access to absolutely everything, let's face it Amazon has everything.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2011, 12:18 PM   #3
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, that is the main hesitation, worry about having access to Amazon's selection but, between B&N, the library, Smashwords, Gutenberg, etc. I doubt I run out of stuff to read on the Nook.

I'm probably going to get the basic, WiFi, $149 Nook, not the Color one.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #4
covingtoncat73
Wizard

Oh, how do you like the Libra Pro. Does it read ePub and Amazon and how much does it cost?

I should mention I like audiobooks a lot, too, and like that the Nook can play them.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:53 PM   #5
ldbooks
ldbooks began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
If your primary goal is to be able to use the library, then the Nook, Kobo, Sony or similar devices are the way to go. Go into the store and play with one a little to get a feel for it if you can. As long as it has the features you want and it's comfortable in your hands, you really can't go wrong. I have the Sony and love it, but I have friends with the Nook and they love their ereaders, too. It's really a matter of your personal preference.

Good luck!
ldbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
The last time I looked the Libra Pro and Kobo were $100 at Borders web site, you might be able to get a Kobo for less than that. The Jet Book Lite is $100 the last time I looked:

Why by a Kobo - its real simple to use and has only one button
Why by a Jet Book Lite - It can handle a lot of book formats - LIT, MOBI, EPUB, HTML, PRC, RTF, PDB, PDF with Calibre file conversion to TXT and FB2

The Jet Book Lite might be the way to go, if I am not mistaken the mobi format is Amazon's format and since it can also read pdf you can go most any where for your books - See for yourself, Please do not take my word for it at jetbook.net

Last edited by jbcohen; 03-10-2011 at 02:09 PM.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:20 PM   #7
extrahorizons
extrahorizons began at the beginning.

Device: Droid-x and Nook
I started reading on electronic devices about 6 months ago on my tiny iPod touch using Calibre and their iPod app. I then graduated to my new Droid X- and I read so much on e-devices that I think I will buy a device without a back-lit screen. I have decided on the Nook, as most of my books are already converted to the ePub format.

Anyway, I wanted to let you know that Barnes & Noble is offering the Nook on their pre-certified devices page. The Wifi version is 119 and the 3G is 139. I also don't see the value in the 3G version, so I'm planning on getting the certified Wifi version. It has a 1 year warranty, and they are selling on eBay used for close to this same price! (No warranty)

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/c...?cds2Pid=35611
extrahorizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
hughes
Addict
hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Galaxy Nexus, iPad 1
You might like starting with ereaders that support ePub and exploring other factors at HowToDecide.
hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:58 PM   #9
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrahorizons View Post
I started reading on electronic devices about 6 months ago on my tiny iPod touch using Calibre and their iPod app. I then graduated to my new Droid X- and I read so much on e-devices that I think I will buy a device without a back-lit screen. I have decided on the Nook, as most of my books are already converted to the ePub format.

Anyway, I wanted to let you know that Barnes & Noble is offering the Nook on their pre-certified devices page. The Wifi version is 119 and the 3G is 139. I also don't see the value in the 3G version, so I'm planning on getting the certified Wifi version. It has a 1 year warranty, and they are selling on eBay used for close to this same price! (No warranty)

I like your taste in mobile devices
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:34 PM   #10
covingtoncat73
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrahorizons View Post

Oooh, thanks. I may even buy this tomorrow.

Thanks for all your comments/suggestions. I have loved reading since I was very small but I became addicted to audiobooks when I was going to grad school and working full-time. It was the only way I could get stories in because I could listen while I commuted to school, grocery shopped, walked, went to sleep, etc.

The problem, though, is that I now have a very hard time sitting down and allowing myself to just read. I have hopes that an eReader will inspire me because I miss losing myself in a story. You just don't do that so much when you are multi-tasking while listening to an audiobook. I also find I have less recall with audiobooks. I'll still use them, though, because I may not have grad school anymore but I do have a killer commute.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:14 PM   #11
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Someone correct me if I'm wrong about this, but the Nook still is using the first generation e-ink screen, which isn't as good as what's on the Kindle or Sony as comparison. I'm not sure what others use, like Kobo, but the Wiki ereader listing should have that info. I almost bought a refurbished Nook until I discovered that.

But go to your local Best Buy to check them all out side by side before you make the final decision.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:26 PM   #12
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
I know you said you that the Nook Color wasn't on your list; but B&N recently had a $50 coupon on the Nook Color if purchased from ebay, making the price $200.

The nice thing about the Nook Color is that it is quite simple to "root" - which allows you to actually install the android Kindle app - as well as many other android apps.

I like having access to both Barnes and Noble AND Amazon bookstores on my Nook Color ... although I prefer to purchase books from B&N ...

Just an FYI ...
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:32 PM   #13
hughes
Addict
hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Galaxy Nexus, iPad 1
The NOOK WiFi and 3G+WiFi both use previous generation E Ink Vizplex. Kobo too.

Kindle and Sony ereaders use superior E Ink Pearl.
hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:56 PM   #14
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughes View Post
The NOOK WiFi and 3G+WiFi both use previous generation E Ink Vizplex. Kobo too.

Kindle and Sony ereaders use superior E Ink Pearl.
Hi Hughes, hope your website is coming together fine.

Ahhh you should take a look at the nooks screen side by side with the kindle or the Sony's Pearl Screen, I think you just migh find the nook holds its own.

last update v1.5, they bolded the text on an already fantastic contrast.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:01 PM   #15
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
With the latest update to the Nook Classic, it's difficult to tell the difference between it's e-ink and the newer screens on the Kinde 3. Just saying.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote