Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-31-2008, 04:06 PM   #1
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Dictionary for Sony Reader?

I thought one of the first purchases I might add to my new PRS-700 would be a good dictionary. But I don't find any general dictionaries in the Sony store! Does anyone have a recommendation? Maybe something in another format that could be converted?

Thanks.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:11 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i agree, that's a huge shortcoming, and i hope sony will get around to adding integrated dictionary lookup (and, you know, some dictionaries ) soon. while we're waiting, our very own nrapallo has slaved over a brilliant epub version of the webster's 1913 dictionary which works a treat (i've got it myself). and it's free.

i'm working on an epub french dictionary but that might not be what you're looking for.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:23 PM   #3
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool! I just downloaded it, and will try it soon.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:21 PM   #4
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

I have it on my Reader now. Kudos to nrapallo.

I was browsing on Fictionwise, and saw a couple of versions of the OED in secure Mobipocket format. I was wondering if anyone had tried deDRMing that for conversion and use on their own personal devices, and if so, whether the results were satisfactory.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:04 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post

I was browsing on Fictionwise, and saw a couple of versions of the OED in secure Mobipocket format. I was wondering if anyone had tried deDRMing that for conversion and use on their own personal devices, and if so, whether the results were satisfactory.
i'd be very interested to know the results of such an attempt as well.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:13 AM   #6
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i'd be very interested to know the results of such an attempt as well.

@starrigger
Thanks for finding that updated .epub so useful.

@ZP
OK I've got one more extremly large dictionary that I converted almost 6 years ago for my own personal use (see below pics). You may not know about this one.

It was a 25MB OED.lit that yielded (extracted) a 70 MB .html and after adding a simple TOC produced a 55 MB .imp file. It was not useful/readable on my REB1200 hardware reader as it exhausted/max-ed out its internal memory!

It was a challenge that could not yield any acceptable results then. Maybe when my hardware reader can allow this large a .imp file, I'll revisit this dictionary.

So, it may be possible to extract that Mobipocket OED, as I did with the .lit version, though I have not attempted to do so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OED_1.jpg
Views:	646
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	20319   Click image for larger version

Name:	OED_37141.jpg
Views:	681
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	20320  
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:17 AM   #7
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
@ZP
OK I've got one more extremly large dictionary that I converted almost 6 years ago for my own personal use (see below pics). You may not know about this one.

It was a 25MB OED.lit that yielded (extracted) a 70 MB .html and after adding a simple TOC produced a 55 MB .imp file. It was not useful/readable on my REB1200 hardware reader as it exhausted/max-ed out its internal memory!

It was a challenge that could not yield any acceptable results then. Maybe when my hardware reader can allow this large a .imp file, I'll revisit this dictionary.

So, it may be possible to extract that Mobipocket OED, as I did with the .lit version, though I have not attempted to do so.
nick, have i mentioned lately you're my hero ?? please let us know if you tackle that one and how you get on !! epub oed, i'm actually drooling now.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:41 AM   #8
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
For this... a Cybook should have been the choice.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:45 AM   #9
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
For this... a Cybook should have been the choice.
i admit that is a nice feature and one i hope sony will implement (soon), however i chose the sony for the epub support (priority number 1 for me) and for the improved ergonomy thanks to the touchscreen, and for the search and note-taking features (also key for me).

so far, there is no *perfect* device, so we must rate our priorities and find the best compromise.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:46 AM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
What about breaking the dictionary down into parts and loading them as individual books? A-H, I-M, N-R, S-Z or something like that. Would it make it easier to use?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:49 AM   #11
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
What about breaking the dictionary down into parts and loading them as individual books? A-H, I-M, N-R, S-Z or something like that. Would it make it easier to use?
hm, that's an interesting idea. like the old paper dictionaries were made in several tomes because otherwise they were too unweildy. could be a good solution.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:16 AM   #12
Oh, Why Not?
Groupie
Oh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Galaxy Note 2; KindleFireHDX
In mid December I went to the SonyStyle in Stanford to look at the 700. The young clerk, in eagerly trying to explain it to me, said that Sony was working on a dictionary for the 700. I stopped his flow right there and asked him directly if that was true, He assured me it was.

For what it is worth . .
Oh, Why Not? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:21 AM   #13
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh, Why Not? View Post
In mid December I went to the SonyStyle in Stanford to look at the 700. The young clerk, in eagerly trying to explain it to me, said that Sony was working on a dictionary for the 700. I stopped his flow right there and asked him directly if that was true, He assured me it was.

For what it is worth . .

you've just made me very very happy. let's hope that guy knew what he was talking about.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:36 AM   #14
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Just a bit off topic, when I looked to see if there is an OAD for Kindle, there is. And in the search list, there is also a book titled "The Damp Squid." They must know about us over in Amazonia...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:46 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post

you've just made me very very happy. let's hope that guy knew what he was talking about.
If you think that sales clerks at SonyStyle have an "inside track" on what future products Sony are planning, I have a nice bridge that I'm sure you'd love to buy .

Seriously, Sony always play their cards very close to their chest, and sales clerks are probably less well informed than we are.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote