Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen > Gen3 Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-13-2008, 07:04 PM   #1
ChrisM12743
ChrisM
ChrisM12743 began at the beginning.

Device: bookeen cybook gen3
Post Convert .lit to .prc

Is there a SIMPLE way to convert files for the cybokk3? I looked at mobiperl, but I've got to tell you, it looks something like a monster! Just looking for the simplest method possible.
ChrisM12743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:16 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
MobiPocket Creator is probably the easiest way. Explode the LIT using (the GUI version of) ConvertLIT, and then point Creator at the resulting .opf file.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:20 PM   #3
ChrisM12743
ChrisM

Dear Wallcraft,
Bear with me, What is "Mobipocket Creator"? and how do I get it, and how do I use it? I am new to this type of programming, but ever since I received my CYBOOK3 for Christmas I have'nt been able to put it down!
Old 06-13-2008, 07:35 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Look here:
http://www.mobipocket.com/en/Downloa...p?Language=EN#
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:35 PM   #5
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM12743 View Post
Dear Wallcraft,
Bear with me, What is "Mobipocket Creator"? and how do I get it, and how do I use it? I am new to this type of programming, but ever since I received my CYBOOK3 for Christmas I have'nt been able to put it down!
At the developers' section on the Mobipocket website, there are two programs you might want to check out: Mobipocket Creator and Mobigen. Mobipocket Creator has a GUI (lots of buttons and other user-interface controls) while Mobigen is a command-line program. That's right, you have to start up "command" under the Windows "Run" menu... Not for the faint of heart and new user - best to stick with Mobipocket Creator.

On the other hand, there is a nifty program called BookDesigner which can take a .lit file (NOT one that has been laden with DRM) and, through the magic of good programming, directly import the files contained in the .lit right into the main BookDesigner editor. If there's no editing to be done - and there's *ALWAYS* editing to be done! - you can then just save to mobi format. Mobipocket Creator requires you to do the stripping from .lit to .html (using ConvertLit) on your own, whereas, as long as you have ConvertLit installed on your system, BookDesigner will handle it all for you.

BTW, Mobipocket Creator isn't all that great at "editing" the text/doc/html files - you're still probably going to need to do some "editing" before it looks good on your Cybook. That's where BookDesigner is, in my opinion, better - the editor is built in.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:38 PM   #6
ChrisM12743
ChrisM

>lit to .PRC, PRC> to GUI?

This is DEFINITELY not for the faint of heart. I did download mobipocket creator home edition, now I am going to try the publishers edition. I want to thank everyone for all the assistance, keep it coming! I am learning a lot of new things today!
THANKS
Old 06-13-2008, 11:29 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
MobiPocket Creator is probably the easiest way. Explode the LIT using (the GUI version of) ConvertLIT, and then point Creator at the resulting .opf file.
Forget the GUI. Just a waste of disk space. Just use ConvertLIT from the command line. It's a heck of a lot easier.

Click here, wait, click there, wait click this, click that, click the other, wait, click again... damn.. wrong option set.. now I have to do it all over again

CLI ... D:, cd \ebook, ConvertLIT command, DONE!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 03:05 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
On the other hand, there is a nifty program called BookDesigner which can take a .lit file (NOT one that has been laden with DRM) and, through the magic of good programming, directly import the files contained in the .lit right into the main BookDesigner editor. If there's no editing to be done - and there's *ALWAYS* editing to be done! - you can then just save to mobi format. Mobipocket Creator requires you to do the stripping from .lit to .html (using ConvertLit) on your own, whereas, as long as you have ConvertLit installed on your system, BookDesigner will handle it all for you.
Please DON'T use Book Designer to create Mobi books! I agree, it's a great way to create books (it's what I use for all mine), but it creates Mobi books in a very old format, lacking many features, and with no metadata.

Best thing to do is to edit your book is BD, export it as HTML from BD, and then use Mobi Creator (or Tommy's "html2mobi" PERL tool) to create your Mobi book. I've written a tutorial here which illustrates exactly how to do it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 06:18 AM   #9
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
How about lit2mobi?
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 06:50 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Not come across that one!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:52 PM   #11
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
It's part of mobiperl. I don't use it myself, because it doesn't work perfectly and I like to change the formatting in most e-books, but it's really easy to use once you've installed mobiperl.
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:56 PM   #12
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM12743 View Post
Is there a SIMPLE way to convert files for the cybokk3? I looked at mobiperl, but I've got to tell you, it looks something like a monster! Just looking for the simplest method possible.
I use the absolute, no-think method of creating a prc. I send a file off to Amazon for conversion after making it into a doc, html or pdf and get back an azw...change the suffix to prc and voila!

Trouble is, you have to have an active Kindle account to get this service, which means you have to buy a Kindle.

If you'd like, I'd be glad to send files over for conversion for you and mail them back to you. Send me a PM if interested.

BTW, Cybook does a great job of reading html files---it 'reads' them just like a prc, so no need for conversion if you already have it in html.
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:04 AM   #13
Danny Fekete
Electronic Education Buff
Danny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3, iRex DR1000s, Sony Reader PRS 650
Gosh, the ConvertLIT method makes for nicer books than ABC Amber Lit Converter. Thanks for this, Wallcraft.

- Danny
Danny Fekete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:07 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
ABC Amber LIT Converter is buggy and the PRC generator is not as nice as using Mobipocket Creator Publisher Edition.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:21 AM   #15
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHand View Post
It's part of mobiperl. I don't use it myself, because it doesn't work perfectly and I like to change the formatting in most e-books, but it's really easy to use once you've installed mobiperl.
I try to enhance it when I notice books it is not working on. So if you would lika any specific enhancement just let me know and give me a test file.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote