Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-08-2011, 01:52 PM   #1
camogirl48
camogirl48 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Conversion for the Kindle Fire Problem

Brand new to the Kindle Fire. I am trying to convert epub to mobi to use on my ereader. It says it is converted and shows there is two formats (?). After I converted I right clicked on the book so I could "send to device" then "send to main memory" is a problem. I can't "send to main memory". Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

I don't want to buy books from Amazon when I can get them free in other places.
camogirl48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If you select an ebook in Calibre it should show Formats: EPUB, MOBI

Connect you Fire via USB to your computer. On the Fire you should get a "Transfer Files" screen. Under Windows you may have to select "use File Explorer" or something, and then it shows up as a KINDLE drive (in my case it is drive D). At the same time in Calibre you should get a new Device icon and there is a new "On Device" column. Select any ebook, or select a range of ebooks (left click on the first and shift left click on the last ebook to select all between the two). Then right click and select Send to Device -> Send to Main Memory. You get a job and a spinning progress wheel, and when the job ends the ebooks will be on your Fire (actually in Documents) and they will show up in Calibre in the "On Device" column. Select the arrow next to the Device icon in Calibre and select "Eject". I then also tap the Disconect buttom on the Fire (since the eject does not show up automatically, as it does on my Kindle 3).

If this does not work for you, be more specific about what fails.

By the way, if you don't have a MOBI version of the ebooks Calibre will ask you if you want to make them when you choose Send to Device -> Send to Main Memory.

You need Calibre version 0.8.27 or later.

EDIT: the ebooks might be under the Docs tab on the Home page, rather than the Books tab. As osnova implied, you can also look in the Documents folder while it is connected via USB to see if the files are there.

Last edited by wallcraft; 12-08-2011 at 07:48 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
To see if the issue is with the conversion, put the .prc or .mobi file manually to the Documents folder on your Fire. Disconnect and see if the book appears.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:29 PM   #4
camogirl48

Well I did transfer a converted epub book to the fire. But on the book shelf there is no picture or title. When I open the book the second page has the picture. Why not when it is on the self?
Old 12-08-2011, 09:30 PM   #5
camogirl48

Followed directions sorta and it did work. Have to do it a few more times to really understand how I did it. Also that picture business.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:43 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by camogirl48 View Post
Followed directions sorta and it did work. Have to do it a few more times to really understand how I did it. Also that picture business.
In an ePub, the cover is typically the first page but in a MOBI it is a separate record in the file - but Calibre should handle this for you. The best approach is always to edit the metadata in Calibre and explicitly select a cover image and make sure the title and author are what you want. Once the metadata is good, convert again to MOBI. I have found it hard to get Fire to "forget" a cover image once it has one, so try this first on a new ebook and when it is working try again on your existing ebooks. Also, you can select the cover from the navigation tab of an open ebook on the Fire. If there is no "cover" option the MOBI does not have one and that is why the thumbnail is also missing.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:48 PM   #7
camogirl48

Thanks Wallcraft, I will give it a shot on a new one first. What about deleting the one I did transfer and fix the cover that way? I'll do a new one first.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:28 PM   #8
camogirl48

ok the new book worked just fine with the cover showing on the book shelf. The first book I am not having any luck. I deleted it, reconverted it to mobi after the megadata. Did this 4 different times and can't get the cover to show up. If this is the only one that that happens to its ok, just frustrating. Thanks for the help. Once I get better at downloading books I will have to try movies next.