Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 07-22-2011, 01:37 AM   #1
jbmia
jbmia began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Accessing built in recipes via CLI?

I've searched and searched and haven't found anything on this... can't believe this question hasn't been asked, so I hope I didn't miss it here somewhere...

I did the binary install on Fedora 14... I installed the full calibre application, but I'm trying to avoid using gui to manage my library and fetch and email out news.. the box is pretty much run in CLI mode...

So, how can I access the recipes that are built into the gui instance... I've browsed the install folders and I don't see any .recipe files... are they in the .db file?

I don't want to spend a bunch of time tweaking broken recipes all the time.. and the built in ones pretty much work for me.. if I could pull those and utilize the ones I need, I have no problem dropping them into scripts and putting them on a daily or weekly cron job...

Any meaningful input would be greatly appreciated..

jbmia
jbmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:55 AM   #2
dasp
dasp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
You can list all built-in recipes using the following command:

ebook-convert --list-recipes

You can then run any of the built-in recipes using this syntax:

ebook-convert "NEWSPAPER_NAME".recipe "NEWSPAPER_NAME".mobi --output-profile kindle

... where NESPAPER_NAME is any newspaper from the list of recipes returned by --list-recipes.
dasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:12 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....n-linux-server
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:37 AM   #4
jbmia

Schweeet... !

You jam Dasp! Many thanks for taking the time to answer my question!

Warning: Frustrated commentary follows....

Why, in the name of everything beautiful and innocent, isn't that here:
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cli/ebook-convert.html

Like all the options are for all the other commands are on their page?
(e.g., http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cli/calibre-smtp.html)
where all the command options/switches are laid out right there for choosing..

(edit: And... it's not here either "ebook-convert -h")
(edit again: And it's not on this page either: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....n-linux-server)

Not that I want to be spoon fed, but it is the FM and help sections for the function for pete's sake.

jbmia

Last edited by jbmia; 07-22-2011 at 10:43 AM. Reason: update...
Old 07-22-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Actually.... it is! Click on Recipe Input on the http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cli/ebook-convert.html page. It leads to http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cli/...onvert-12.html
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
The reason it's hard to find is that ebook-convert does the dual function of filetype conversion and recipe-based webpage retrieval. There are so many options in the various filetype conversions that the recipe options would be lost if all options were listed together.

Thou shalt not take the "name of everything beautiful and innocent" in vain.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #7
jbmia

I see now... thanks!

Makes sense under Recipe Input...

but...
ebook-convert -h could be a bit more verbose...

and...
ctrl-f works wonders for keeping things from getting too lost on a web man page.. I'll meet Starson17 somewhere on my side of the middle on that one... (sarcasm intended)

At least this thread is here in the forum, so that folks in the future in the same boat might save a bit of time...

Don't get the wrong impression, Calibre is an awesome piece of software. And, being free... well hot d*mn jethroe... the functionality, support for the 3 platforms, and suport for CLI... I processed a donation this morning...

regards,

jbmia

Last edited by jbmia; 07-22-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:25 PM   #8
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmia View Post
ctrl-f works wonders for keeping things from getting too lost on a web man page.. I'll meet Starson17 somewhere on my side of the middle on that one... (sarcasm intended)
I suppose you can stand on your side of the middle and I'll stand on my side.

Unlike most of the other Calibre CLI tools, the ebook-convert options often don't make any sense for many of the possible combinations. Yes, you could CTRL-F for an option of interest, but there are currently 19 inputs and 17 output formats, which are now organized into 323 separate pages. If you combine them into one page and search for the option that applies to 267 of them you're going to be searching for a while as you review each of those 267 hits. If that's what you want, just use the Google search and restrict by site.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote