Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-20-2011, 01:52 PM   #121
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: HTC Flyer; Kobo WiFi
You can sideload Android Market, but it can be buggy and crash, and you'll periodically have to get another APK to sideload it when the crashing becomes typical behavior.
emilikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:47 PM   #122
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
For those asking why color LCD reader? Comic books are so much better in color and most magazines use lots of color pages, school books have lots of color pages.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2011, 05:33 PM   #123
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
Reading Comic books is the only reason I might buy one.
1024 x 600 is not ideal but workable in horizontal while moving the page up and down.

However I am not too impressed with the nagging SD card problems with my Kobo Touch.
So I will wait and see and will not pre-order.
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:43 PM   #124
sjfwhite
Enthusiast
sjfwhite began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Apple iPad Mini 2
Probably a silly question, but will the vox permit side loading non drm epubs through calibre? Better yet, if the android Dropbox app works on this it would be great.
sjfwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:06 PM   #125
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfwhite View Post
Probably a silly question, but will the vox permit side loading non drm epubs through calibre? Better yet, if the android Dropbox app works on this it would be great.
The Dropbox app should work just fine. If there is no Market Access you can get the apk at Dropbox's site and sideload it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2011, 08:03 PM   #126
doone
doone began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300; eee pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
Reading Comic books is the only reason I might buy one.
1024 x 600 is not ideal but workable in horizontal while moving the page up and down.

However I am not too impressed with the nagging SD card problems with my Kobo Touch.
So I will wait and see and will not pre-order.
too bad it doesn't support cbr/cbz natively. It'll still need a comic book viewer app. Good thing I see Perfect Viewer on the Getjar website.
doone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:41 PM   #127
ronin688
Enthusiast
ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: REB-1100/ EBW-1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by doone View Post
too bad it doesn't support cbr/cbz natively. It'll still need a comic book viewer app. Good thing I see Perfect Viewer on the Getjar website.
LoL That was one of the first things I checked too. I'd imagine a full size tablet would be best for comic viewing, but I think the 7" will be workable.
ronin688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:29 PM   #128
EMG
EMG began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin688 View Post
LoL That was one of the first things I checked too. I'd imagine a full size tablet would be best for comic viewing, but I think the 7" will be workable.
I guess a lot of people are waiting for the tablet prices to go down just to read cbr's! I really don't see myself paying $500 for a tablet on which I'll only read comic books. The price tag on the Vox is definitely appealing at only $200.
EMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:45 PM   #129
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin688 View Post
Certainly better, even in portrait mode, than 6". All but the most text-dense comics should look fine.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:32 PM   #130
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Certainly better, even in portrait mode, than 6". All but the most text-dense comics should look fine.
the problem with the kobo touch as most e-ink readers is the inability to zoom, or soom properly/quickly. The fact that the Vox will have multitouch/pinch zoom capabilities will make comic viewing much better, even on the 7" screen.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:16 AM   #131
davidkettle
Enthusiast
davidkettle began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
It's been a couple of days now since I sent an email to 'help@kobobooks.com'. Do they ever answer questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkettle View Post
Anybody know if it supports PDF files? I looked at the specs on the Chapters/Indigo web site, and it seems to be missing from the list of support formats. Given that you can install Android apps on it, you should be able to install Adobe Reader (I have an AR app on my Android phone), but it would be nice if PDF files were supported out-of-the-box, so to speak. Hard to believe they'd leave it out. BTW, the clerk in the Chapters/Indigo store told me it should be available sometime in November.
davidkettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:14 AM   #132
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkettle View Post
It's been a couple of days now since I sent an email to 'help@kobobooks.com'. Do they ever answer questions?
It's very possible they don't know, particularly since this is a new product, but a response would be nice.

Chances are, you'll be able to get an adobe reader app (if one isn't included by default), which, quite honestly, would be the best solution.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:15 AM   #133
jedipencil
Enthusiast
jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony
The Vox is looking so tempting to get... I love my Sony, but would like a reader that can display color as well. And perhaps the Vox could be used as a sort of portable portfolio for images?

I was considering the new Kindle, but after looking at the Vox specs... And the fact that you can download a Kindle app? Would it truly work? That would be like the icing on carrot cake.... drooool....
jedipencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:25 AM   #134
EMG
EMG began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
A question concerning comic books in cbr/cbz formats:

The Vox has a 800mzh processor and 512mb of ram. Is that enough to run a 30mb cbr smoothly or will it be choppy? anyone know?
EMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:19 AM   #135
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMG View Post
A question concerning comic books in cbr/cbz formats:

The Vox has a 800mzh processor and 512mb of ram. Is that enough to run a 30mb cbr smoothly or will it be choppy? anyone know?
Well, the Touch also has an 800MHz CPU (gods only now how much RAM it has thanks to the habit of people calling the onboard storage RAM and memory) and page turns are nice and fast. Zooming and then scrolling/panning is horribly slow, though, due to it being e-ink. That aspect will be a LOT faster on the Vox.

EDIT: The Nook Color has the same screen size & resolution, CPU speed, and RAM. this video review of how comics perform on the NC (with 3 different Android comic reader apps) should tell you how they'll perform on the Vox.

Last edited by JD Gumby; 10-21-2011 at 10:25 AM.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote