Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-22-2011, 09:22 AM   #166
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
We seem to be working a sea-faring theme, so here goes:

"The Navy is a master plan designed by geniuses for execution by idiots."
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:02 AM   #167
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

The Caine Mutiny? I can't say I recognize that quote exactly. It does sound like something one of the characters in that novel (Lieutenant Keefer in particular) might have said.
Advert
Old 08-22-2011, 10:04 AM   #168
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And I didn't even have a chance to use my quote about the strawberries!

Hamlet's up.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:02 PM   #169
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
And I didn't even have a chance to use my quote about the strawberries!

Hamlet's up.
Or "Old Yellow Stain?"

A short work, but in my opinion one of the greatest things, word for word, ever written:

“There has never been a time in which I have been convinced from within myself that I am alive. You see, I have only such a fugitive awareness of things around me that I always feel they were once real and are now fleeting away. I have a constant longing, my dear sir, to catch a glimpse of things as they may have been before they show themselves to me. I feel that then they were calm and beautiful. It must be so, for I often hear people talking about them as though they were.”
Old 08-22-2011, 01:34 PM   #170
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Metamorphosis?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2011, 01:43 PM   #171
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

I was thinking Kafka, too, but it doesn't sound to me like Metamorphosis or The Trial, the only two of his works I've riead.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:32 PM   #172
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

So the author, Kafka, is identified. I'll give it a few more hours to see if anyone can come up with the title.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:51 PM   #173
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Oops, I meant to include another sample in my last post. Not sure if it's a help, but:

Smarting as I was, I said: “The story you told me about your mother and the woman in the garden seems to me not in the least remarkable. Not only have I heard many like it and experienced them, but I've even played a part in some of them. It was quite a natural incident. Do you think that if I had been on the balcony I couldn't have said the same thing and got the same answer from the garden? Such a simple affair.”

When I said that, he seemed very delighted. He remarked that I was well dressed and he particularly liked my tie. And what a fine skin I had. And admissions became most clear and unequivocal when one withdrew them.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:40 PM   #174
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is it a Kafka short story?
Old 08-22-2011, 07:49 PM   #175
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

So to reveal all the snippets came from the Kafka short piece Conversation with the Supplicant. I personally feel that some of Kafka's best work is in short, some very short (only a couple of paragraphs), writings.

So anyway since was the first to identify it with Kafka I figure he should be next.

Last edited by Hamlet53; 08-23-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:04 PM   #176
poohbear_nc
Now what?

OK - here's a fun one:

"The most racking pangs succeeded: a grinding in the bones, deadly nausea, and a horror of the spirit that cannot be exceeded at the hour of birth or death."
Old 08-23-2011, 08:19 AM   #177
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Hmmmm .... no guesses?

"Well, sir, the two ran into one another naturally enough at the corner; and then came the horrible part of the thing; for the man trampled calmly over the child's body and left her screaming on the ground."
Old 08-23-2011, 08:33 AM   #178
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

It's Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, I believe.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:40 AM   #179
poohbear_nc
Now what?

You are correct, and to be completely pedantic, "The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde."

Take it away Issy!
Old 08-23-2011, 09:50 AM   #180
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

"...and yes I said yes I will Yes."