Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-29-2010, 04:25 AM   #1
catsnotkis
catsnotkis knows what time it iscatsnotkis knows what time it iscatsnotkis knows what time it iscatsnotkis knows what time it iscatsnotkis knows what time it iscatsnotkis knows what time it iscatsnotkis knows what time it iscatsnotkis knows what time it iscatsnotkis knows what time it iscatsnotkis knows what time it iscatsnotkis knows what time it is

Device: none
so I can't legally read mobi pocket library books on my k3?

My digital library has both kinds. Still waiting impatiently for K3 to arrive so can't even test it
catsnotkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:36 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That is correct. The Kindle does not support "Library" DRM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2010, 05:45 AM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I noticed that your other post said, "I don't really want to have to convert or otherwise mess with the files. I just want to download, read, repeat." So, as Harry said, you are correct. The Kindle does not support the DRM on library books.

You will need another device that supports Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) to be able to just download and read library books.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:23 AM   #4
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I noticed that your other post said, "I don't really want to have to convert or otherwise mess with the files. I just want to download, read, repeat." So, as Harry said, you are correct. The Kindle does not support the DRM on library books.

You will need another device that supports Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) to be able to just download and read library books.
Very correct and just to also add that you can now read library books on an iphone / ipod touch / ipad and other devices using the library overdrive app. So it doesn't need to be an e-ink device. This way you can have the best of both worlds in a way.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:48 AM   #5
3bayjunkie
SPC
3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 3 (3g,black)
The Kindle supports unprotected mobi files, i am not sure which ones you have. Hope that helps.
3bayjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2010, 09:40 AM   #6
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
IANAL but there hasn't been a court case in the United States to determine the legality of stripping DRM for personal use. I do it so I can read library books on my Kindle *but* I am careful to delete the book when I finish or after 14 or 21 days whichever comes first. Morally, I have no problem doing this for personal use.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:01 PM   #7
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
Very correct and just to also add that you can now read library books on an iphone / ipod touch / ipad and other devices using the library overdrive app. So it doesn't need to be an e-ink device. This way you can have the best of both worlds in a way.
oh REALLY! I learn something new everytime I come to this forum. I must get this app RIGHT NOW! I have always wanted to download audio books to my iPod, but for whatever reason have always had troubles. Hopefully this will be the solution to my problems!
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:01 AM   #8
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1010 View Post
oh REALLY! I learn something new everytime I come to this forum. I must get this app RIGHT NOW! I have always wanted to download audio books to my iPod, but for whatever reason have always had troubles. Hopefully this will be the solution to my problems!
It's the Overdrive Media Console free app assuming that your library is based on the overdrive system.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:21 PM   #9
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
It's the Overdrive Media Console free app assuming that your library is based on the overdrive system.
The Bluefire App also works on the iPhone for Library books.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote