Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-10-2015, 01:00 PM   #46
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Anyone use this site? Is it any good? Is it maintained/up to date on pricing?

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 01:26 PM   #47
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
"P is for Peril" by Sue Grafton is $20.99 while all the other books in the series are all $8.99. What's up with that??
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2015, 01:27 PM   #48
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbles View Post
Here are some more examples
Richard Castle Books
Raging Heat - Kobo 19.97 Kindle 12.58
Wild Storm - Kobo 22.09 Kindle 12.69
Deadly Heat - Kobo 25.49 Kindle 2.39
Storm Front - Kobo 17.75 Kindle 7.30

Quite a difference if you ask me.
We are sure getting the shaft on ebooks.
They are out of their minds with those prices for sure. They are couponable, but still won't be buying them. I'll just watch the show.
Old 01-10-2015, 05:20 PM   #49
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Anyone use this site? Is it any good? Is it maintained/up to date on pricing?

Luck;
Ken
Luzme is a good site, but like anything it pays to still do your own checking when you know the ebook you're after, especially when the Kobo Discount vouchers work on the ebook.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:05 AM   #50
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Another "+1" for luzme.com. It is a good, maintained, up-to-date resource. I don't like their very short login sessions.

Of course you do need to double-check before you buy because sometimes the stores will have bad data in the data that luzme consumes. e.g. Sony used to have books in the wrong language.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2015, 10:13 AM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
"P is for Peril" by Sue Grafton is $20.99 while all the other books in the series are all $8.99. What's up with that??
Google Play has P is for Peril for $5.99 US.

https://play.google.com/store/books/...d=ccMjqU4yqWEC

Kobo US has it for $7.99.

http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ebook/p-is-for-peril-2

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-12-2015 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Fixed the Kobo URL
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:01 PM   #52
PurpleStar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

http://store.kobobooks.com/en-CA/ebook/p-is-for-peril-2
Okay, guess it's just some wacky Canadian pricing.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:40 PM   #53
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:

http://store.kobobooks.com/en-CA/ebook/p-is-for-peril-2
Isn't /en-CA/ the Canadian store?
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:46 PM   #54
PurpleStar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Looks like it. I still get the $20.99 price when I click the link. If I ever get that far in the series I suppose I'll just borrow it from the library.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:34 PM   #55
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
@BrodieKobo. Thank you for your participation. Communication is something that Kobo should do more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
I'm also German and buy almost exclusively books in English. Discounts used to work for non-German books from the German Kobo store until a few months ago. It would be really nice if you could make them work again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminrussell View Post
Even worse for me, the price on Kobo's Canada site shows up as $33.69 though I can use perkopolis coupon code to drop the price to $22.84 so cheaper than B&N but still more expensive than Amazon.
These kind of 'general' discount coupons (like Perkopolis) could also be used in 'international' Kobo stores but now they seem only redeemable in just a few countries. Probably only the countries that participate in the contest: CA, USA, and UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodieKobo View Post
RE: Contests, I'll look into that and see what's up, but I agree we need to get better at making our contests open to as many countries as possible.
In general, Kobo should pay more attention to international customers and countries: countries of which the official language is not English.
Not just by adding new countries to participate in a (monthly) contest - if permitted under local regulations and laws - but offer (attractive) discounts on book titles in their native language as most customers prefer to read in their native language.
For example: I have not yet seen or found any discount coupon code or special offer that was issued for an 'important' or 'national day' in let's say France, Germany, Spain or The Netherlands. Like Canada day for Canada, or the 4th of July for the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
I'd say that should be a top priority. Over here in South Africa the discount codes have been a big draw in converting people over to Kobo, but they've been seriously scarce over the last couple of months. Last ebook I bought was in July.

Even if you only give out coupons and not physical prizes to other countries it would be great.
I second this. In The Netherlands almost all, correction: even worse, nearly all books are not couponable anymore.

Quote:
2) Price is super important to us. All I can say is we're working hard to get that part right, as we know it's a huge issue for our customers.
Great, but... I feel a 'but' is coming...

Quote:
Discounts are an important part of our business but we're also trying to push for new ways to get savings to our customers.
And… here, it is: "push for new ways to get savings to our customers."
Give us an example of 'new ways'.

Quote:
Kobo customers can get 3 books for the price of 2, on amazing high quality books! These types of discounts are finally no longer bound to traditional brick and mortar retailers...
An example is a '3 for 2 book offering'.
  1. probably only applicable to book titles that are on some sort of (discount) list.
  2. even if this list rotated weekly or monthly: limited choices for customers. It will very like become very hard to find 3 attractive book titles that are on a list. With 'attractive' here I mean: suit the customers reading preferences.
  3. I do understand why Kobo prefers it, 'this new way'. Offer discounts but make it harder to redeem or use them.

Last edited by Anak; 01-12-2015 at 04:38 PM.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:20 PM   #56
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I think that if you are logged in, it uses your account info no matter what URL you use. And even if I start with "en-AU", I always seem to end up with a "en-US" after a couple of clicks.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:16 PM   #57
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
The photo attached is an example of confusing Kobo pricing. This example is the Aus Deal of the Day for today, and has inconsistent pricing (it's not a book that I want, just using this as an example of when something has gone odd).

The Scandalous Duchess
Only $4.99 (Was $19.99)

Buy Now $15.99
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aus_daily_deal.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	133718  
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:28 PM   #58
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I think that if you are logged in, it uses your account info no matter what URL you use. And even if I start with "en-AU", I always seem to end up with a "en-US" after a couple of clicks.
Hola is a free and easy to use browser extension which will at least let you browse the store for the Country of your choice whilst you are not logged in. I believe you would need an account with an address in the country concerned to purchase, but am open to correction. It is seldom that I buy anything from Kobo.

The Kobo store is a mess and the pricing is to some degree responsible. Though there are occasional bargains, it seems that a coupon is required on Kobo in many cases just to make the price competitive. Best to offer competitive prices across the board with coupons and promotions reserved for genuine bargains. I don't believe "lock-in" is working for many customers, so Kobo is in many but not all cases directly competing with Amazon. Even if this is not the case, a poster above kindly pointed out that Google is price matching Amazon. I don't know if this is across the board, but Google Books is certainly a direct competitor.

Kobo, it is time to get serious on price. I love my H2O, but would swap it for a Voyage in a heartbeat (or resurrect my Paperwhite) if I was ever to truly be locked-in to your store. Please get your act together a.s.a.p.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:41 PM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I've fixed the link. The correct link is...

JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:52 PM   #60
PurpleStar
Wizard

Quote:
I've fixed the link. The correct link is...

$20.99 still with this link. Oh well. Library it will be!