Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-17-2008, 05:29 AM   #1
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Device: iliad
Question libX11.so.6, auto refresh

Hi All,

How does the 'auto refresh' version of libX11.6.so work exactly? Are the sources available somewhere?

I'm trying to make an app with the 'normal' lib, but I think I'm missing some steps...

Thnx, Hnsl.
hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:46 PM   #2
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
There used to be sources here: http://projects.mobileread.com/iliad/

It was antartica's project. I believe he's working on a different update manager now.

See here: https://dev.mobileread.com/trac/xepdmgr/wiki
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2008, 05:18 PM   #3
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel View Post
How does the 'auto refresh' version of libX11.6.so work exactly? Are the sources available somewhere?
Adam is right. Sources for the patch to libX11 are here:
http://projects.mobileread.com/iliad...0061203-2.diff

The patched libX11 follows the early work of scotty1024 to document the way to refresh the display on the iliad.

And Adam is also right about xepdmgr. The patched libX11 helps but has a lot of irritating limitations, hence xepdmgr. But right now I'm stuck compiling the needed libxdamage for the iliad. If all goes well, xepdmgr will not have library dependencies and be a lot smaller than the patched libX11... it's a work in progress :-).

P.S.: Well, xepdmgr will depend on liberdm, as we don't know (yet) how to do the updates directly O:-)

Last edited by Antartica; 09-17-2008 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Add the PS.
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:49 AM   #4
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Thumbs up

Thanks!
One more thing to explore...
Hans.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:26 PM   #5
hansel
JSR FFD2

Hi Antartica,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antartica View Post
And Adam is also right about xepdmgr. The patched libX11 helps but has a lot of irritating limitations, hence xepdmgr. But right now I'm stuck compiling the needed libxdamage for the iliad. ...
I like your 'repair daemon' idea! It will stop eating cpu when nothing changes...

Still stuck with libXdamage? I managed to compile libXdamage-1.1.1 for the Iliad (as an exercise, inside scratchbox). The dependencies are a nightmare / challenge ;-) I didn't test it yet with your 'proof of concept'.

This is what I did, I hope it helps you in your quest! (approx, I'm not sure I logged everything)

Code:
./dl-and-install.sh xfixes.h
./dl-and-install.sh xinerama.xml        #xcb-proto_1.1
get libpthread-stubs_0.1.orig.tar.gz & patch
./dependencies-helper/unpack-n-patch-n-build-install.sh libpthread-stubs_0.1.orig.tar.gz
./dl-and-install.sh xslt.h              #libxcb-1.1/
./dl-and-install.sh Xext.h              #not sure if this one is needed
./dl-and-install.sh xfixesproto.h
./dl-and-install.sh Xfixes.h
./dl-and-install.sh libXdamage.so
The resulting dependencies (in scratchbox) are:

Code:
[sbox-iliad: /usr/local/lib] > ldd libXdamage.so
        libXfixes.so.3 => libXfixes.so.3 (0x00000000)
        libX11.so.6 => libX11.so.6 (0x00000000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x00000000)
        libXau.so.6 => libXau.so.6 (0x00000000)
        libXdmcp.so.6 => libXdmcp.so.6 (0x00000000)
        libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x00000000)
        liberdm.so.2 => liberdm.so.2 (0x00000000)
        liberipc.so.0 => liberipc.so.0 (0x00000000)
        libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x00000000)
        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x00000000)
I attach libXdamage.so.1.1.0 (it's quite small)
Attached Files
File Type: gz libXdamage.so.1.1.0.gz (20.0 KB, 433 views)
Advert
Old 09-20-2008, 02:40 AM   #6
hansel
JSR FFD2

Cool IT WORKS!!!

Hi All,

I did some tests...
- I can confirm that Antartica's 'proof of concept' xedpmgr compiles an links fine
- the resulting executable (statically linked, without extra dependencies) is 23Kb (this is all you need to start apps)
- IT WORKS!!! It refreshes the display in an acceptable way
- This will change the way software is developed for Ilads

Antartica:
- GREAT IDEA!!! CONGRATS!!!
- maybe you can start a new thread to discuss the algorithm for combining rectangles (choice between full an typing update)?

Hansel.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:34 AM   #7
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi All,

I did some tests...
- I can confirm that Antartica's 'proof of concept' xedpmgr compiles an links fine
- the resulting executable (statically linked, without extra dependencies) is 23Kb (this is all you need to start apps)
- IT WORKS!!! It refreshes the display in an acceptable way
- This will change the way software is developed for Ilads

Antartica:
- GREAT IDEA!!! CONGRATS!!!
- maybe you can start a new thread to discuss the algorithm for combining rectangles (choice between full an typing update)?

Hansel.
I've managed to get my "prunned" libx11 for xepdmgr. The unstripped statically linked executable of xepdmgr is 299245 bytes, and that is without the dependency on libX11.so:

Code:
[sbox-iliad: /shared/Devel/iliad/src.xepdmgr/xepdmgr-1.0-iliad] > ldd xepdmgr
        liberdm.so.2 => /usr/local/lib/liberdm.so.2 (0x00000000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x00000000)
        libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x00000000)
        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x00000000)
[sbox-iliad: /shared/Devel/iliad/src.xepdmgr/xepdmgr-1.0-iliad] > ls -l xepdmgr
-rwxrwxr-x  1 dario dario 299245 Sep 20 13:55 xepdmgr
P.S.: Thanks for testing it on the iliad and the success report! I'm VERY happy :-b. See the other thread on xepdmgr for my final code.

Last edited by Antartica; 09-20-2008 at 08:39 AM.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:40 AM   #8
Antartica
Evangelist

Quote:
Ok. I start another thread for it :-).