Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-24-2011, 08:54 AM   #16
Histerius
Zealot
Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3 - Galaxy Tab 10.1
Quote:
It is unfair that Amazon have to suffer because of this.
This is true. It's not moral judgment, it's common sense you can apply to any device. For example, you buy a car, put rocket fuel and it and after it explodes you expect the manufacturer to take it and give you a new car? I think that everybody has right to hack the device as much as (s)he likes, but if you break device with your doing why should Amazon give you a new one? I think Amazon customer service is too good.
Histerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:58 AM   #17
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
The OP has described the very reason I do NOT use hacks or Calibre. I use Kindle WiFi PLAIN VANILLA.

Everything else WILL have it's own unique problems.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2011, 09:11 AM   #18
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
The OP has described the very reason I do NOT use hacks or Calibre. I use Kindle WiFi PLAIN VANILLA.

Errmmm, I don't see how Calibre is a hack or can brick a device. Calibre is simply a library management program.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:14 AM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru
Everything else MAY have it's own unique problems.

...sorry, had to fix that up for ya.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:58 AM   #20
cloudyvisions
Enthusiast
cloudyvisions is on a distinguished road

Device: Amazon Kindle
Nothing seems to work, so...my bad. Lesson learned, and in the future I will be more careful before trying anything out.

I would just like to say that when I called Amazon, I never asked, "well, can I get a new one to replace this?" I asked him several times questions like if they could override my password from there, if there was a way to bypass it via USB, stuff like that. I was fully expecting to pay at least something, like a difference fee, if I could get a refurb in place of mine. So that was not my intention going into the phone call that I automatically get a new one. I know the hacks are do-at-your-own-risk, but I've had a K2 and now K3 for almost 3 years and never had a problem once with either hack.

Thank you to the folks who tried and offered some suggestions, I do appreciate it!
cloudyvisions is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2011, 10:03 AM   #21
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeromedevine View Post
It seems that the Kindle was broken deliberately by the user. It is unfair that Amazon have to suffer because of this
You may have a point except nobody has said a bleeping thing about making Amazon suffer. The guy's simply asking for some tech help on how to get the Kindle going again.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:06 PM   #22
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
This may not be any help, but I had the same thing happen with my K3. I had to hold the start button for a very long time. The Kindle restarted but wiped out all my books and I had to start over.

I haven't tried using a password since.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:13 PM   #23
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_irl View Post
Have you tried blind typing your password ? If the box is just sorta invisible it might work.

Can you normally access the storage without entering the password ?
Yeah, I thought maybe because his fonts might be the screw-up, that the box might be invisible and typing the password any could work but apparently not.

I use a password, too. If you connect the usb cable, you do NOT connect and see the kindle on the computer until you enter a password ON THE KINDLE. It will sit there until you slide the power switch, get the password box and enter the box. Then the usb-drive component will be available.

I have been leery of a similar happening - can't get to password or it won't accept it and then you cannot get to the usb drive. But I periodically backup the entire k3 to my computer.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:20 PM   #24
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Separate message for a different aspect.

I don't have the font hack. I know I've read about issues with folks installing or using the wrong font and having white/blank screens or some such. I gather it is because the supposed font is bad in some manner. But they have been able to fix it by getting to the font/fonts from the usb side of things.

What this problem might demonstrate is that if the font/fonts are improper or improperly installed, the PASSWORD box might not show up (like the glitched screen in other font problems.) So maybe when playing with font changes, it is best to disable the PASSWORD for the kindle. Remove it and then play around? That way no password would be needed to get to the usb drive via computer.

Or this may be just a coincidence.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:52 PM   #25
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post

Educate yourself, Calibre is a program for your computer, not a hack or adjustment for the Kindle.
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:53 PM   #26
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OP, why don't you want to just do a factory reset and start over? Isn't it better than just staring at your broken Kindle?
Old 02-24-2011, 01:02 PM   #27
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
OP, why don't you want to just do a factory reset and start over? Isn't it better than just staring at your broken Kindle?
Because the OP can't get to the menu to do a factory reset.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:04 PM   #28
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Because the OP can't get to the menu to do a factory reset.
Can't they do that sort of thing from Amazon?
Old 02-24-2011, 01:09 PM   #29
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Can't they do that sort of thing from Amazon?
Maybe, but I've never heard of them doing it (and it would rely on wireless being turned on). Besides, Amazon had every opportunity to do something like that while the OP was on the phone with them, and they opted to send a new Kindle instead.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:16 PM   #30
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Maybe, but I've never heard of them doing it (and it would rely on wireless being turned on). Besides, Amazon had every opportunity to do something like that while the OP was on the phone with them, and they opted to send a new Kindle instead.
oops my bad, reading comp fail I missed that post. I wonder why his did that though?