Notices

Old 03-27-2007, 04:20 PM   #1
MikeS
MikeS began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500 (Sony Reader)
Battery - days not pages

Hello everyone,

it's nice to be here.
This is my first post but I've been reading this forum since I bought my reader (Dec 2006). I love the device, first time I saw article about a reader I knew I will buy it not even waiting until it will be available in Europe, although I've got lots of technical pdfs (IT and math) and as you know dealing with pdf (reading or converting) is just a pain. But still love it
Anyway, I've read many threads regarding battery and usually everyone measures its life by number of page changes or number of hours the reader is turned on.
I've got a feeling that something is wrong with my battery (similarly to DiabloNL, sometimes I can make only 500 pages). I noticed that I have to re-charge the reader once a month, no matter if I read 5 pages per day (it happens with tech books, please don't laugh or 100 per day. Basically it drops one bar each week so after 20-25 days it reaches one bar. No mp3, no USB. Probably I could make thousand of pages (I hope) but I've never made such test and most of the books I have I cannot read that fast. I've read that this type of battery needs more than couple of months to discharge itself but it seems that this is the main factor in my case. What is your experience with it? Have you ever left your reader unused for couple of weeks and noticed that the battery level dropped, how many bars? What is you battery life in terms of days? Have you ever been able to use the reader more than one month without charging (no matter of number of pages you made, if it was thousand or dozen) ?

Mike

P.S I've got this annoying post-update battery weirdness, soft reset or plug-in-when-turned-on method seems to fix it, the only real change I noticed is that I don't have self "recharging" symptom anymore. Before the update the battery could go from 3/4 to full and then to 3/4 again, but now it never happens. Anyone can notice the same?

Last edited by MikeS; 03-27-2007 at 04:51 PM.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:48 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead, MikeS, great first post.

I think the longest I've gone (after the update) is 3 weeks, and that brought it down to 1 bar. I use mine for reading on a daily basis, probably more than an hour per day typically, with it spending a lot of time lying (powered on) next to me while I'm doing other things (like it is right now).

I hadn't noticed it before you mentioned it, but I haven't seen what your calling the self-recharge since the update either, and I did before (we've discussed it some around here, as you'll know from reading the other threads). I guess maybe we know now what they were trying to adjust on the battery meter in the update.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:55 PM   #3
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Hi MikeS, and welcome. This site is a treasure trove to all of us sony reader owners.

Quote:
Basically it drops one bar each week so after 20-25 days it reaches one bar
I think I read it somewhere here that the reader is always on, even when close. When you slide the power switch it just closes the screen. If so, it could explain this phenomena.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:15 PM   #4
atreis
atreis began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
I've noticed this too. Seems like no matter how much I use, or don't use, it I have to recharge about once a month.
atreis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:22 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I haven't managed to stop using it for a full day yet, so I'll have to take y'all's words for it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote