Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-09-2013, 06:19 AM   #736
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedumb2000 View Post
Unless of course, you just offered a binary patch.
Huh? How have you supposed to create that binary patch without breaking that EULA in the first place? Sure it would be legal to distribute some random patch file that fell from the sky, but nobody can use it that does not want to break their own EULA.

From section 2:
Quote:
2. DESCRIPTION OF OTHER RIGHTS AND LIMITATIONS.
  • Restrictions on Alteration. You may not rename, edit or create any derivative works from the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, other than subsetting when embedding them in documents.
You might not care, but others care to use legal fonts.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #737
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Restrictions on Alteration. You may not rename, edit or create any derivative works from the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, other than subsetting when embedding them in documents.
So... it's legal to embed the entire font in a document? (If creating subsets is legal, a 100% subset would have to be -- that's what a good few simpleminded PDF creators do when embedding fonts, after all).

That gives a form of apparently-legal distribution after all, as long as the recipient knows enough to be able to extract the thing from the PDF file again. Curious hole, but I guess they had no choice: a font which prohibits embedding isn't going to get used.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:05 AM   #738
freedumb2000
freedumb2000 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G
Quote:
Huh? How have you supposed to create that binary patch without breaking that EULA in the first place? Sure it would be legal to distribute some random patch file that fell from the sky, but nobody can use it that does not want to break their own EULA.

You might not care, but others care to use legal fonts.
I do care (and I wonder how you got the impressions that I do not). That section you quoted sounds like you cannot even modify it for your own use. Meaning you cannot even change the metrics and use them on your Kindle if you own the font. Although in this case I would challenge the validity of such a clause, at least depending on the jurisdiction.

On the other hand, if you are allowed modify a font for your own use, distributing only a binary patch should not pose a problem, since you can only use it if you already own the original font and it consists in no part of any copyrighted code of the original font.
freedumb2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:08 AM   #739
freedumb2000
freedumb2000 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
So... it's legal to embed the entire font in a document? (If creating subsets is legal, a 100% subset would have to be -- that's what a good few simpleminded PDF creators do when embedding fonts, after all).

That gives a form of apparently-legal distribution after all, as long as the recipient knows enough to be able to extract the thing from the PDF file again. Curious hole, but I guess they had no choice: a font which prohibits embedding isn't going to get used.
Just because you can technically extract the font does not mean you are allowed to re-use it.
freedumb2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #740
BugA
Enthusiast
BugA will become famous soon enoughBugA will become famous soon enoughBugA will become famous soon enoughBugA will become famous soon enoughBugA will become famous soon enoughBugA will become famous soon enough

Device: Prestigio Nobile PER3162BN, Kindle Paperwhite
Using the default one (Caecilia, size 4 (from left)), Line spacing 2 (middle one), Margins 3 (right one).
BugA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #741
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post

Legal distribution of the unmodified (subset). And since it is covered under Copyright law, derivative work would also mean if you created a font too similar, even if not using the font-file itself, but a scanned in printout.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #742
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
I do care (and I wonder how you got the impressions that I do not). That section you quoted sounds like you cannot even modify it for your own use. Meaning you cannot even change the metrics and use them on your Kindle if you own the font. Although in this case I would challenge the validity of such a clause, at least depending on the jurisdiction.

On the other hand, if you are allowed modify a font for your own use, distributing only a binary patch should not pose a problem, since you can only use it if you already own the original font and it consists in no part of any copyrighted code of the original font.
I know you care, or you would not have brought it up. And yes, technically the EULA forbids modifying for any reason even for personal use. BUT, it grants you the right to modify it anyway, if your local law disallows taking away that right. Check section 2.1. I did not quote that on purpose, as there might be a jurisdiction in tie world that does not grant you the right to do so. Example: removing DRM for personal use is legal most everywhere, but NOT 100% everywhere in the world, for instance. It is still very much illegal to distribute after modified or drm-freed.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:24 AM   #743
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
I've come across this font which is nice, like most though could do with being thicker on the PW (I'm using their regular version,not the light one obviously as this would be invisible on the PW I think!) but even as it is I do use it quite a lot. Unfortunately the licence terms don't allow for much, so I can't ask a kind soul with the right software to fatten it up for me but I thought maybe others might like it
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:44 AM   #744
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
I've come across this font which is nice, like most though could do with being thicker on the PW (I'm using their regular version,not the light one obviously as this would be invisible on the PW I think!) but even as it is I do use it quite a lot. Unfortunately the licence terms don't allow for much, so I can't ask a kind soul with the right software to fatten it up for me but I thought maybe others might like it
That one does look nice - maybe you can use the bold as regular, and the display as bold? Since display is even fatter than bold, and in smallcaps, it should me obvious what is bold. Going to put that on my PW when I get a chance.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:51 AM   #745
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
maybe you can use the bold as regular, and the display as bold? Since display is even fatter than bold, and in smallcaps, it should me obvious what is bold.
That's a very good idea which I'll try later today

Edit: using bold as regular is a bit *too* thick so I think I'll just go back to the default.

Last edited by Yolina; 03-12-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:26 AM   #746
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Good find, Yolina!
Another nice one with 12 different styles is Alegreya. With this one as well, bold could be used as regular, and black or SC black as bold.

ETA: Neuton is nice as well.

Last edited by xendula; 03-12-2013 at 08:34 AM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #747
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Thanks for all these font suggestions, Yolina & xendula. Trying them out right now!
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #748
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Just because you can technically extract the font does not mean you are allowed to re-use it.
Copyright cannot control use, only distribution, with the exception of barmy regimes like the UK where 'temporary copies' in RAM are covered. (IANAL, but one has to know a good bit about copyright to be a programmer these days )
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #749
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Yolina, have you given my modified Charis SIL a go on your PW? It's been thickened up and the line space has been modified so it's not giving you overly large line spacing with KF8 eBooks. The link to it is earlier on in this thread.

Also, I have a larger version that sort of matches the size of the default Kindle font. But still gives better lin spacing and better letter spacing for more text on screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #750
Yolina
Wizard

Yes, your modified Charis is already on my PW