Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-29-2013, 04:57 PM   #1
Lunchtray
Connoisseur
Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Gen 1
Kobo Glo USB busted

Hey Everyone,

Just thought I'd share that my Kobo Glo's micro USB plug decided to stop connecting to computers. (Had the device since Oct 3rd, 2012) Interestingly enough it still will recognize being plugged in and has the ability to charge. I guess 1 or 2 of the pin connectors for data detached and left the ground and power still intact.

Anyone else have this happen to them?

So far Kobo support has been helpful and sent me the email to start the exchange. Sounds as though the turn-around time can be up to 15 days so I'm grabbing a new Kobo Glo on the way home because I got to read me some books. I guess when I get the replacement I'll go to my wife - Surprise update to your Kobo Touch!

Lunchtray
Lunchtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I presume that you have tried a different cable/different USB ports on your computer? It's amazing how often cables and ports go bad. If you have then I'm glad Kobo is getting it sorted out for you.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
Lunchtray
Connoisseur
Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
I presume that you have tried a different cable/different USB ports on your computer? It's amazing how often cables and ports go bad. If you have then I'm glad Kobo is getting it sorted out for you.
Of course Tried 2 different usb cables/ports at home and 2 diff computers. Got to work tried a few other cables and computers AND had the IT guy stick it into his linux machine for the heck of it and see if he could get it to show up.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchtray View Post
Of course Tried 2 different usb cables/ports at home and 2 diff computers. Got to work tried a few other cables and computers AND had the IT guy stick it into his linux machine for the heck of it and see if he could get it to show up.
I had a similar problem and eventually tracked it down to a misbehaving USB data stick.

Does the Kobo show up in the device manager? And if so, does it show as disabled?
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #5
Lunchtray
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
Does the Kobo show up in the device manager? And if so, does it show as disabled?
Nope to neither question. I'm almost 100% it's the micro USB plug in the Kobo as I've spent a ton of time diagnosing the problem.

Also, picked up a new Kobo Glo and the max brightness on it is nowhere near as bright as mine gets. And I'm thinking of going back to Chapters and swapping them over and over until I get a screen that doesn't have the damn bright pixels that happen in the Glo layer.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:53 AM   #6
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
With a windows machine Try :-
Turn off the PC (Also worth unplugging the computer and holding the on button on the computer for about 5 seconds to clear any static charge)
Plug in the Kobo
Turn on the PC
Log on to windows

The bios / boot up may fix the USB connection (I used to loose USB connectivity on ocassion while hacking my JetBook and found this fix by accident when leaving it plugged in once)
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:32 AM   #7
Lunchtray
Connoisseur

MikeB, I tried that this morning for the heck of it but no dice. I should re-iterate though it's not an issue with any PC USB ports.

I exchanged the new Kobo Glo I bought yesterday that ended up having annoying bright pixel points with the light on. The new one is has a much better screen now.

Interestingly, comparing my launch Kobo Glo (w the busted micro-usb port) to this new Kobo Glo the old one's Glo funtion has a way higher brightness than the newer ones.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:13 PM   #8
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
MikeB, I tried that this morning for the heck of it but no dice. I should re-iterate though it's not an issue with any PC USB ports.
I know, the Jetbook I used to fix this way wouldn't connect to any USB port on any computer, figured it was worth a shot.

Quote:
Interestingly, comparing my launch Kobo Glo (w the busted micro-usb port) to this new Kobo Glo the old one's Glo funtion has a way higher brightness than the newer ones.
The new firmware seems to have lowered the brightness, noticed that on mine - I'm guessing due to all the complaints about it being too bright.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
Lunchtray
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
The new firmware seems to have lowered the brightness, noticed that on mine - I'm guessing due to all the complaints about it being too bright.
Both my old Kobo Glo and this new one are running the same firmware so you'd think the brightness levels would be the same. I think the original Glos might have had more bright/powerful LEDs in them.