Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-28-2010, 09:42 PM   #16
jswinden
Nameless Being

I just pre-ordered the WiFi version. I think it will be the perfect, portable little buddy for my KDXG!

BTW, here is the correct URL for pre-ordering the WiFi version:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002Y27P3M

Pre-order 3G version here:

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireles...dp/B003FSUDM4/

Last edited by jswinden; 07-28-2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:44 PM   #17
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I just pre-ordered the WiFi version.

Yep, Ive been refreshing and been getting a 404 error when clicking on the wifi link, but now I am in for one. We are probably 2 of the first 30,000 to order
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2010, 09:46 PM   #18
SpeckledJim
Enthusiast
SpeckledJim began at the beginning.

Device: K3 WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
OMG! PDF UPDATE!

Improved PDF Reader: The new Kindle uses an improved built-in PDF reader with new dictionary lookup, notes and highlights, and support for password protected PDFs.

*Dies happy*

If they don't push this to the GKDX I'm killing everyone. Does anyone know if this would be a hardware update or a software update?

It should be a software update only. It would be rather odd if the DXG ended up with poorer PDF functionality than its smaller brother.

On an unrelated note, someone recently speculated that the DXG might have Wi-Fi. With the announcement of the Wi-Fi K3, I wonder if this is possible. Again it would be odd for the more expensive unit to be functionally inferior, given they have both been refreshed at the same time.

Last edited by SpeckledJim; 07-28-2010 at 09:49 PM.
SpeckledJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:49 PM   #19
synlor
synlor has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
OMG! PDF UPDATE!

Improved PDF Reader: The new Kindle uses an improved built-in PDF reader with new dictionary lookup, notes and highlights, and support for password protected PDFs.

*Dies happy*

If they don't push this to the GKDX I'm killing everyone. Does anyone know if this would be a hardware update or a software update?
That is the most exciting news to me, but it has to trickle down to older versions of the Kindle DX to make me happy. I've just started making dual language books in latex which produces PDF, and it would be great if I could have dictionary lookup for the foreign language words in addition to the parallel text.

I also hope it supports the PDF's table of contents. Boy do I wish these updates will come out for the original DX.
synlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:49 PM   #20
ConstantineXVI
ConstantineXVI began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2I
Unless Bezos has recently had a lobotomy, the just-released DXG still running 2.5 means we'll likely see this new firmware trickle over to current Kindles as well.
ConstantineXVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2010, 09:52 PM   #21
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post

Pre-order 3G version here:

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireles...dp/B003FSUDM4/
The manual is available from the order page. For the 3G, I downloaded http://kindle.s3.amazonaws.com/Kindl...de_English.pdf.

Unfortunately, the manual says that PDF TOC's are still not available.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:52 PM   #22
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeckledJim View Post
On an unrelated note, someone recently speculated that the DXG might have Wi-Fi. With the announcement of the Wi-Fi K3, I wonder if this is possible. Again it would be odd for the more expensive unit to be functionally inferior, given they have both been refreshed at the same time.
Later I'll use the FCC ID and look it up in the OET database. But I suspect not or they would have advertised WiFi up front on the DXG. The DXG is targeted for a different buyer, I think, so that might be why it doesn't have WiFi. Or it could be something as simple as the DXG was designed first, then when designing the K3 they realized WiFi would be a great option. But who knows?

[edit]
They are calling the new device the Kindle Wi-Fi and the Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi. I guess numbers are gone now, no K3, though we can call it that if we want to.
[edit]

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	us-wifi-compare__V186815565_.png
Views:	2095
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	55860  

Last edited by jswinden; 07-28-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:00 PM   #23
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
The new software features of the new Kindle 3 will definitely apply to the other Kindles as well, especially the Kindle DX and the DXG. As far as WiFi support for the DXG, I don't think so. I don't think the hardware supports it. Of course, if the hardware would support it, you can simply compile a kernel that includes that support and turn that feature on. You can, however, replace the mini card inside the DX with one that supports both WiFi and 3G, provided of course such a card exists. I have not been able to find one yet.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:02 PM   #24
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
It seems only the graphite is available to Australia.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:17 PM   #25
ChaoZ
Connoisseur
ChaoZ doesn't litterChaoZ doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Mini, Kobo Touch
Looks good to me. I always thought the Kindle 2 had a bezel that was a little thick. Also, the graphite is sexy!
ChaoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:45 PM   #26
Zyzomys
Hooked on Phonics
Zyzomys began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I could not resist and have pre-ordered the $139 Wifi Only version.
Zyzomys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:49 PM   #27
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
It seems only the graphite is available to Australia.
Looks like Graphite only on the $139 wi-fi version here in the US. Only the 3G version seems to offer a choice of colors...unless my browser is completely acting up!
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:52 PM   #28
Weaselboy
Weaselboy began at the beginning.

Looks nice. I just pre-ordered the 3G and the K2 I bought on July 20 is going back. Hopefully they don't give me any flack about sending it back. Still well within the 30 day window. I can do without a few days to get inside the 30 days before the new one arrives.
Weaselboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:53 PM   #29
Zyzomys
Hooked on Phonics
Zyzomys began at the beginning.

If you look at the comparison chart at the bottom of the order page, it shows that only the new 3G + Wifi version comes in a choice of colours (white & graphite that is).
Zyzomys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:55 PM   #30
ChaoZ
Connoisseur
ChaoZ doesn't litterChaoZ doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Mini, Kobo Touch
I don't think I see an International version yet, or is that it right there?
ChaoZ is offline   Reply With Quote