Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-25-2009, 12:37 PM   #1
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Auto sorting of book lists? Can I turn it off?

I'm new to calibre, and I am finding it quite useful.

I'm wondering, though, if it's possible to turn off the auto-sorting of the book lists.

Right now when you edit an item on the book list (in the direct edit mode), it quite often resorts automatically and I then have to seek out the book again. I realize that this is because I've had it in "Author Sort" mode while changing the author name etc.

So far, the best solution I've found is to leave it sorted in "date" mode, though if you do any bulk edits, I find those edits at the bottom most part of the current date, and not in the order I imported them.

Ideally, I'm hoping there is a nice button that says, "Don't re-sort until I'm told to resort". That would let me leave things in Author order or Series order (the two main ways I've been working); I could then completely fix a book or group of books, THEN resort. That way I could finish editing a book's metadata, and that of related books imported at the same time without having to use my brain.

I'm guessing such a button doesn't exist...but I wanted to check in case there's a setting somewhere I've just not found yet...

Thanks!
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:52 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, such a button does not exist. If you're doing multiple edits you should really use the edit metadata dialog
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2009, 04:08 PM   #3
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Hmmm...I'd not thought of using that option, though it's not as convenient as the other for the type of mass edits I'm talking about.

All-in-all, I've been able to put in, with metadata, 950+ ebooks over the last few days while I'm watching a movie here or there. That makes me happy.

Most of these other things are the little nit-picky stuff that have to do with how I work - which isn't always the most efficient way, but is what I'm use too.

Is there any plan, down the road, to add any user fields (even if they were set as "user1" "user2" to allow a level of convenient tweaking beyond the tagging system?

For me it's a matter of wanting to tag books Read / Unread and Owned/Unowned. Right now the tags (e.g., UNREAD) doesn't remain at the front of the tags, an is usually off-screen. Again - a convenience thing - sometimes for a series I want to quickly remind myself if it was book 17 or 18 I last read
Old 11-25-2009, 05:38 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can re-arrange columns. And support for user fields is on the TODO list
Old 11-25-2009, 06:03 PM   #5
guyanonymous
Guru

Fantastic! Thanks

I just sent you some $ too...
Advert
Old 11-25-2009, 06:28 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Much appreciated