Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-26-2014, 08:11 AM   #1021
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
  • What is the first four characters of your serial number?
    (your problem might be model specific)
  • Pick one of the firmware versions listed in post #1 as "supported with limited functionality on PW2"
    Then give us an explicit list of the steps you follow to install that firmware.
    Include each button push, each USB cable plug and un-plug, etc.
    (your problem might be in the downgrade procedure you are following)

Last edited by knc1; 07-26-2014 at 08:19 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:39 AM   #1022
Emyiss
Emyiss began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
PW2 serial number starts with 9017. Shipped with Firmware 4.3.2.1 on it.

In terms of how to go about upgrading or downgrading, I grabbed the firmware from:

http://david.smidovi.eu/kindle/firmware-updates/

with the exception of 5.4.5 which I grabbed from Amazon.

Upgrading was done straightforward. Copy the .bin file into the root direction, unplug the kindle, then go menu -> settings -> menu -> update your kindle

Downgrading was done following the Downgrader from NiLuJe's snapshots:

So extracted kindle-downgrader-0.1.N-r10677.tar.xz then copied the .bin file into the root directory, as well as the 'official_update' folder. I added whichever firmware .bin file I was downgrading to into the official_update folder.

Then again, uplugged the kindle and went menu -> settings -> menu -> upgrade your kindle.

After which, I'd reinstalled MKK, again from snapshots (as non snapshots left UYK grey'd out). And again, add the .bin file to root, unplug kindle, menu -> settings -> menu -> update your kindle. Then plugged the kindle back in (after it rebooted) and deleted and readded CM.

I am currently on 5.4.3 as the last one I tried, that had the same 'cannot launch, try again later' error.

Last edited by Emyiss; 07-26-2014 at 08:59 AM.
Emyiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2014, 09:09 AM   #1023
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emyiss View Post
PW2 serial number starts with 9017. Shipped with Firmware 4.3.2.1 on it.
- - - snip - - -
I am currently on 5.4.3 as the last one I tried, that had the same 'cannot launch, try again later' error.
Thanks.

This setup will be our "known starting point" for further troubleshooting.

Last edited by knc1; 07-26-2014 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:10 AM   #1024
Emyiss

Okay, back on 5.4.3.2.

Haven't reinstalled anything as of yet. I am not using any Cloud Collections. I have a few local ones that contain some books which can be cloud stored and a bunch that cannot be (unsure if that makes them cloud collections or not).

Device Info comes up with:

Kindle 5.4.3.2 (2317380003)

Functionality seems to be normal/expected. Can open books, navigate them, all the double touch locations work (to show menu bar, etc).

Edit: I also removed KUAL and CM for now (Deleted the azw2 files and the folders that get created)

Last edited by Emyiss; 07-26-2014 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:12 AM   #1025
knc1
Going Viral

Great!

Let us ease into this -

KUAL is relatively simpler than CM is (and doesn't use a "database" - just text files).
Let us see if we can make it work properly on this hardware and firmware combination.

You will need to install:
The "device jailbreak" ;
The "Kindlet jailbreak" (MKK) ;
KUAL itself ;

And maybe some of the simpler extensions, just about anything will let us know if KUAL is working.
Or -
Just the KUAL "Helper" package - which has just a few simple extensions in it.

Pick from the things here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225030

- - - -

PS: No insult intended, I am also writing for future readers of this thread.
Advert
Old 07-26-2014, 11:36 AM   #1026
AlexTES
AlexTES began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Hi,

I'm running the 5.4.3.2 FW and use CM 2.7.2.

All collections created by the tool have the "favorite" attribute set and, therefore, are always displayed on the Home screen. When I remove the "favorite" mark manually, the collection disappears from the, for example, Books view, but is still visible in the Collections view.

Question: is there a way to create collections without the "Favorite" attribute? (Probably, any setting I failed to find...)

Thanks.
AlexTES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:59 AM   #1027
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Emyiss: No. Not until someone ports CM to 5.4.5. And Kindlets don't work *at all* on FW version < 5.4.5 on non-JP 4GB PW2, so, no workaround for you.

@AlexTES: Probably not. See the notes about Cloud Collection shenanigans in the first post.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-26-2014 at 12:02 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:08 PM   #1028
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Emyiss: No. Not until someone ports CM to 5.4.5. And Kindlets don't work *at all* on FW version < 5.4.5 on non-JP 4GB PW2, so, no workaround for you.
@Emyiss: Sorry, my bad, I had forgotten about the Kindlet breakage.

@NiLuJe: That answers the question - the problem is model related.

@Self: I need to take a long break, I'm causing more harm than good recently.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:12 PM   #1029
Emyiss

@knc1 & @NiLuJe: Thanks. Ah well, guess I'll have to suck it up and waste a day manually adding everything >.<
Old 07-30-2014, 03:40 PM   #1030
robazizo
robazizo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweak4 View Post
Here's something weird (and I'm sorry if someone else already posted it- I really did look!)
On my PW2 running 5.4.3.2, I updated to the latest collection manager. The collection manager kindlet works fine, but I've noticed that if I ever use the Kindle's normal interface for adding or removing items in a collection or the similar one for editing which collections a specific item belongs to, I can't exit that screen without rebooting the device. Basically, I get to the screen that lists all of the items or collections respectively, but I have no way to get out again- I can tap either the Done button at the bottom or the Home button at the top. In either case, the device will freeze for a second like it's trying to exit, but the screen will just flash and then come back up with the same screen I was already on.
Make sense? And has anyone else run into that?
I'm having the exact same problem (on 5.4.2.1). Have you tried flashing back to 5.4.0 yet and if so, did it solve the problem?
robazizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:04 AM   #1031
pantera10684
Enthusiast
pantera10684 began at the beginning.

Does new version supports PW2 5.4.5
???
pantera10684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:40 AM   #1032
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera10684 View Post
Does new version supports PW2 5.4.5
???
Three posts above yours, at: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1027

First post of the thread.

tl;dr: No
Old 08-05-2014, 01:50 AM   #1033
Tukan
Tukan began at the beginning.

Hi,
I also have PW2 with 5.4.3.2 (2317380003). Device ID is also 9017
All installations work only from "snapshot"
Jailbreak installed successfully.
MKK installation cased update, showed success, and reboot.
KUAL and CM cannot launched with error "Selected application could not be started. Please try again"
Any idea? Thanks,
Tukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:10 AM   #1034
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tukan View Post
Hi,
I also have PW2 with 5.4.3.2 (2317380003). Device ID is also 9017
All installations work only from "snapshot"
Jailbreak installed successfully.
MKK installation cased update, showed success, and reboot.
KUAL and CM cannot launched with error "Selected application could not be started. Please try again"
Any idea? Thanks,
Amazon/Lab126 broke "active documents" (Kindlets), even their own, with the 5.4.x series of firmware.
Fixed by their current 5.4.5 firmware release.
So update if you want KUAL (and other active documents) to work.

Collections Manager (also a type of active document) has not been ported to your combination of hardware and firmware.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:59 PM   #1035
Tukan
Tukan began at the beginning.

Hi knc1,
The first post here states that there is limited support for 5.4.3.2 :

"Kindle Paperwhite 2: Firmware 5.4.0 - 5.4.3.2 (ATTENTION: On FW 5.4.0, everything works correctly. However, while FW 5.4.2 to 5.4.3.2 are supported, not all of the functionality is working correctly"
Is it a mistake? Or it is a combination of HW & FW?
I really need CM for LOCAL collections only, KUAL was just a test.
Tukan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collections, collections manager, kindle touch hacks