Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-12-2010, 08:54 AM   #1
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Amazon giving away Kindles?

Michael Arrington of TechCrunch is reporting that Amazon is planning on giving away Kindles to members of Amazon Prime. This is the Amazon program where you pay $79 a year and get things like free 2 day shipping.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:02 AM   #2
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
I guess that makes sense. If they can't use book pricing as loss leaders to generate additional sales then giving away the readers and locking people into their stores is the next best thing. I assume this rules out Amazon ever enabling ePub on the Kindle then.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2010, 09:27 AM   #3
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I really hope this is true. For $79 you get a Kindle 2?! If you wanted a Kindle you'd be an idiot not to sign up for Amazon Prime. Or is Amazon only going to provide the Kindles to existing Amazon Prime customers? Or do you have to purchase a certain amount of books to qualify? Who knows, but I'm really looking forward to hearing the details.

I was hoping to see Amazon fight back against the iPad with a dedicated reader in the $99 price range. Free or $79 is even better.

In regards to DRM. I believe Amazon will allow ePub without DRM at some point. The publishers aren't going to give up DRM anytime soon, so if Amazon supports DRM-free ePub then customers are still locked into Amazon's reader, but can view public domain books that can take advantage of ePub formatting -- like Alice In Wonderland with its illustrations and the text in the form of a mouse's tail.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:30 AM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
This would continue Amazon locking customers into their bookstore. They literally blanketed the world at Xmas time - since they had enough K2i's at least in stock to fill all orders.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:45 AM   #5
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Very smart marketing move. One of Amazon's huge advantages of not just making the device, but having control over distribution of both the hardware and the content.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2010, 10:12 AM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I've been an Amazon Prime member for two years. That $79 gets me free two day shipping on anything I buy from Amazon.....not third parties.

There is no minimum, its its paid for itself many times over.

C'mon Amazon!!! Here I be!!!

Actually.....I have a really really good friend who could use one.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:19 AM   #7
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Grandma Can I please be your really good freind ??? PLEASE
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:25 AM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nice try.

I'm thinking they'll go thru and pick out the Amazon Prime members that DON"T have kindles first.

That would make sense.

Or.........maybe they'll look for those who only have the K1's......hmmmmm.........
Old 02-12-2010, 10:27 AM   #9
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Prime really is a good deal. We homeschool our kids and my wife typically has at least one order of books per week coming from Amazon (our kids are voracious readers). Prime has saved us a ton of money on books alone, not to mention on other items such as electronics, etc. I'm not sure I see them rolling this out to all prime members, but maybe ones that hit a certain threshold or maintain a certain threshold of buying, but it's certainly a good tactic to reward their most frequent buyers and lock them in to their model.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:33 AM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Nice try.

I'm thinking they'll go thru and pick out the Amazon Prime members that DON"T have kindles first.
I'm guessing this is going to be offered to NON Prime customers as an incentive to sign up for Prime.

You might want to cancel Prime now.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:36 AM   #11
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Worth a try Grandma guess your right on them being selective, but if ever you have a spare Kindle .....
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:47 AM   #12
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I'm guessing this is going to be offered to NON Prime customers as an incentive to sign up for Prime.

You might want to cancel Prime now.

BOb
dammit!
Old 02-12-2010, 11:21 AM   #13
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Sneaky, underhanded, low down, dirty marketing tactic

[Begin cynicism] I've got it - they aren't giving them away, not now, not ever, and they never planned on it... They let it "leak" that they were going to do this to get people to sign up for Prime! [End cynicism]

It actually makes sense though, the easier it is to get them, the more people there will be with Kindles, the more people with Kindles the less people will be inclined to get an iPad, the less iPad users as compared to Kindle users means Amazon gets to keep a lock on the book sales.

Last edited by dsvick; 02-12-2010 at 11:24 AM.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:30 AM   #14
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
My guess is they'll go after Prime customers who historically ordered a certain minimum number of physical books. But hey, if not, sign me up!
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:33 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Prime has saved me an absolute fortune. It gets you free next-day shipping here in the UK. Hope this applies to Amazon UK, too .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote