Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-09-2010, 10:26 AM   #1
mos
Addict
mos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it is

Device: iphone 4, iPad, Nook softrooted
Videos of my Nook with nookLauncher

Ok, I softrooted my Nook yesterday, because I was curiouse, what possibilities I have. The sooftrooting itself was pretty easy, it is basicly like installing a new firmware. The step by step instructions on the nook dev site is very good. I only put the modified 1.2 firmware on. I have not done anything yet with the root shell and the android stuff, since I don't know at the moment, what this is good for.

There are a bunch of apps, that come with the modified firmware. I have not checked them all yet. I guess some of them are not interesting for me, but for the 2 I realy like, the softroot was worth it. If you do the softroot, please read all instructions carefully. I don'T know, how it is with the warranty etc. Since I live in Germany, I don't have any warranty anyway.

Sorry for the bad sound quality, I guess something is wrong with my webcam. So now I hope, I can show you a little bit, what nookLauncher can do, and how it opens up your possibilities on your Nook. I like it a lot.

So here are 3 little videos. The first one is basicly how the new 1.2 Nooklauncher looks like and how you can customize it's menu to what you need.

I'm still at the beginning of using the NookLauncher, so if I explained something wrong, than let me know.

I still have not found out, where my bookmarked own links e.g. calibre connection, are stored. It is suppose to be in "My Feeds" but I have not found that folder yet.

NookLauncher set up:

My Books app

Trook app

mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:03 PM   #2
kbs
kbs has learned how to read e-bookskbs has learned how to read e-bookskbs has learned how to read e-bookskbs has learned how to read e-bookskbs has learned how to read e-bookskbs has learned how to read e-bookskbs has learned how to read e-books

Device: nook, prs-505, iphone
Great videos :-)

BTW, if you used the latest streamlined update, you can also install updated versions, or new applications from Trook (including Trook itself.) [root menu->nookdevs will bring up a list of installable applications.]

Rev45 of Trook, the version as of Feb 8, includes a few bug-fixes and provides search/browse access to wikipedia.

-kb
kbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2010, 12:13 PM   #3
mos
Addict
mos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it is

If I download them, will they be directly be installed or do I have to restart the Nook?

How can I set the nookLauncher menu as the default menu, so that I don't havt these two options anymore?

I cannot download the updates from my Nook. If I do so, I get an error message that says:
Installed blocked.

Last edited by mos; 02-09-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:48 PM   #4
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos View Post
Ok, I softrooted my Nook yesterday, because I was curiouse, what possibilities I have. The sooftrooting itself was pretty easy, it is basicly like installing a new firmware. The step by step instructions on the nook dev site is very good. I only put the modified 1.2 firmware on. I have not done anything yet with the root shell and the android stuff, since I don't know at the moment, what this is good for.

There are a bunch of apps, that come with the modified firmware. I have not checked them all yet. I guess some of them are not interesting for me, but for the 2 I realy like, the softroot was worth it. If you do the softroot, please read all instructions carefully. I don'T know, how it is with the warranty etc. Since I live in Germany, I don't have any warranty anyway.

Sorry for the bad sound quality, I guess something is wrong with my webcam. So now I hope, I can show you a little bit, what nookLauncher can do, and how it opens up your possibilities on your Nook. I like it a lot.

So here are 3 little videos. The first one is basicly how the new 1.2 Nooklauncher looks like and how you can customize it's menu to what you need.

I'm still at the beginning of using the NookLauncher, so if I explained something wrong, than let me know.

I still have not found out, where my bookmarked own links e.g. calibre connection, are stored. It is suppose to be in "My Feeds" but I have not found that folder yet.

NookLauncher set up:

My Books app

Trook app

The nookdevs page states (no idea whether that's correct):
"Once you run a third-party software updater on your nook, Barnes & Noble may consider your warranty null and void."
(I don't care either, Germany as well.)
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:55 PM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If I download them, will they be directly be installed or do I have to restart the Nook?

How can I set the nookLauncher menu as the default menu, so that I don't havt these two options anymore?

I cannot download the updates from my Nook. If I do so, I get an error message that says:
Installed blocked.
Setting nookLauncher as default: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...25&postcount=7

BTW: What's the skin you have on your nook?
Advert
Old 02-09-2010, 02:00 PM   #6
mos
Addict

I saw that, but I don'T have the slightest idea how to run this software. Guess I'm to dumb fo that. I downloaded it. But now I don't know how it works. I unpacked it, but don't have the slightest idea what to do next.

The skin is one from Decalgirl. They have a bunch of skins for the Nook.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:04 PM   #7
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
I saw that, but I don'T have the slightest idea how to run this software. Guess I'm to dumb fo that. I downloaded it. But now I don't know how it works. I unpacked it, but don't have the slightest idea what to do next.

The skin is one from Decalgirl. They have a bunch of skins for the Nook.
It's not complicated. I have no idea either, what I'm entering. But it's working:
1.) You already should have the Android SDK. If not: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
2.) Open a dos box in the folder "tools" of the SDK.
3.) Enter all the details exactly as described in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...25&postcount=7
Takes about 10 minutes, the explanation is flawless.
You do a backup, so nothing can go wrong. You can't brick your nook.

Last edited by mgmueller; 02-09-2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:24 PM   #8
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs View Post
Great videos :-)

BTW, if you used the latest streamlined update, you can also install updated versions, or new applications from Trook (including Trook itself.) [root menu->nookdevs will bring up a list of installable applications.]

Rev45 of Trook, the version as of Feb 8, includes a few bug-fixes and provides search/browse access to wikipedia.

-kb
How do I find out, which version of the applications I'm using right now, whether an update is available or I already have it installed?
Old 02-10-2010, 11:21 AM   #9
kbs
kbs has learned how to read e-bookskbs has learned how to read e-bookskbs has learned how to read e-bookskbs has learned how to read e-bookskbs has learned how to read e-bookskbs has learned how to read e-bookskbs has learned how to read e-books

Device: nook, prs-505, iphone
I'm afraid there isn't a convenient (or even standardized) way at the moment to determine version numbers across all apps, or whether an upgrade is available.

In general, the download feeds generally have the revision number information available, but displaying the current version is handled by each app directly.

In Trook for instance, you can long-tap the settings icon, and the installed revision number shows up on the eink screen. The feed for the package download (root->nookdevs->trook) shows the currently available revision number.

-kb
kbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:39 PM   #10
crod
crod began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Damn! What a sexy voice! That alone is pushing me towards rooting my Nook!

CR
crod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:34 AM   #11
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Great reviews and videos. Thanks for the effort...and yes, very nice voice.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:47 AM   #12
gshoe
gshoe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gshoe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gshoe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook
mos,

Do you have the gloss or satin Decalgirl skin? I'm thinking about getting one of these, but I don't want to destroy the natural grip that the stock back provides. Also, I have a feeling that the gloss finish could add a glare factor that could be undesirable. What do you think?
gshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:44 AM   #13
mos
Addict

I have the gloss finish. I don't have any problems with glare, while I'm reading. I don't even look at it. When I'm reading I just look at the eInk screen and nothing disturbes me there.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:26 PM   #14
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
Quote:
If you're used to remote-desktop viewers, there is a VNC server for android that would allow you to click the "make this action the default action" box using your mouse on the computer. It also works well for the initial setup of apps like Pandora (which I love on my android phone and the nook...nice background music while reading.)
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:29 AM   #15
madmak
madmak began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Got my nook today and the first thing I did was the softoot. the whole process took about 15 min and the Nook was ready to be used in its full glory. I'd highly recommend doing the softroot. Here are few things I have done and am enjoying
  1. Instructions to make the nooklauncher the default option were very straightforward. i copy-pasted the instruction into the ADB shell and voila - the annoying 2 options were gone.
  2. modified the settings database to allow installation of software. the instructions on Trook were spot on except the first part where it forgot to mention that you have to run ADB connect Nook_IP:5555 before you can run the ADB shell. once done, I can now update the apps from trook itself. very painless
  3. best way to know if an update is available is to see when the update was released. not seamless but very workable
  4. nookbrowser is amazing. love the way you can do the entire browsing on the lcd and only when you are ready to read, click one button and it transfers the page to the e-ink. Alex reader by spring design does this and i am happy Nook matches the functionality
  5. I am not sold on trook yet. not sure why and when to use it besides updating apps
  6. the main reason to softroot was the Mybooks app. most of the content i plan to read on Nook will be sideloaded via calibre and not having the coverflow mode or the sort capabilities was a big blocker. Mybooks app is amazing and a real pleasure to use. it does have a bug though that it cannot delete entries even after the actual file is deleted. would love if this would be fixed soon.
  7. wifi locker is really important if you are runnign remote ADB commands. make sure to turn it off when you are done or it will kill your battery life in minutes.

Last edited by madmak; 02-13-2010 at 01:34 AM.
madmak is offline   Reply With Quote