Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-09-2013, 11:57 AM   #1
Little_bear
Groupie
Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch (gifted to a friend), Sony PRS-T2, iPad mini
Unhappy Kobo Touch freezes after updainting to v.2.6.1

I got my touch a year ago and until now I had no problems with it. During this year I had to do a "paper clip reset" one time. However, this changed yesterday after I updated my Touch from 2.5.2 to 2.6.1. I had to perform four "paper clip resets", and three of them in the same amount of minutes.

First time, I turned the Touch on and I wanted to open the book I was reading and the Touch froze even before the book was open. I performed the "paper clip reset" and when I turned it back on, the first screen shown was asking to set up the language, and the "Welcome" page that I saw only when I bought the Touch. After that it was OK for the reading session.

Later in the day I decided to add more books to my Touch (I have only sideloaded epubs, and I transfer them directly from Calibre). After I unplugged the Touch from the PC the battery was full, I turned the Touch on and I had to "paper clip reset" it three times before I started reading. At the beginning it happened when I tried to put the new books in Bookshelves ... After that the Touch opened on the "Recommendation" page and it froze when I tried to switch to "Reading" page. Last time I was able to open the book (on the wrong page, of course) but it froze when I tried to change the page. After that I was OK reading for several hours (I turned the Touch off before going to bed)... Until this morning when I wanted to read a little bit more, and the screen showed nothing (not the "power off" screen, but rather like it was a brand new device, never used) and my Touch didn't want to turn on at all. I connected to the PC and it showed that the battery was almost dead - only 14% left. Now it's charging.

Any one else experienced this?
Little_bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I had an issue with the 2.6.1 pushed update downloaded directly on my Touch, Model N905B.

After performing the update, my Touch didn't reboot correctly. I got two screen refreshes and a blank screen and flashing green LED on boot, no reader icon, no blocks etc. After waiting a good while I held the power switch to shut down. Subsequent boot attempts got me the normal blue-green-blue-green-green flashing LED sequence on boot(may have been that way 1st time, but I failed to observe it), but still wouldn't get farther than two screen refreshes(brief flashes) and a blank screen. I ended up doing a factory reset/restore with the buttons/paperclip and reverting to 1.9.13 and using the Kobo desktop to perform the update which went fine, except the darned desktop thought the Touch couldn't be found after downloading and had to download it all over again.(Bad 1st download on desktop? Stupid desktop software? Who knows.) So three times the data usage I had intended, but it got sorted.

I'd advise you to perform a factory reset and upgrade again, if you continue to have problems. Checksums are not infallible and sometimes downloads and upgrades can go sideways.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2013, 06:31 AM   #3
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
I had an issue with the 2.6.1 pushed update downloaded directly on my Touch, Model N905B.

After performing the update, my Touch didn't reboot correctly. I got two screen refreshes and a blank screen and flashing green LED on boot, no reader icon, no blocks etc. After waiting a good while I held the power switch to shut down. Subsequent boot attempts got me the normal blue-green-blue-green-green flashing LED sequence on boot(may have been that way 1st time, but I failed to observe it), but still wouldn't get farther than two screen refreshes(brief flashes) and a blank screen. I ended up doing a factory reset/restore with the buttons/paperclip and reverting to 1.9.13 and using the Kobo desktop to perform the update which went fine, except the darned desktop thought the Touch couldn't be found after downloading and had to download it all over again.(Bad 1st download on desktop? Stupid desktop software? Who knows.) So three times the data usage I had intended, but it got sorted.

I'd advise you to perform a factory reset and upgrade again, if you continue to have problems. Checksums are not infallible and sometimes downloads and upgrades can go sideways.
I agree, I also think the device is taking longer to boot because it may be converting the database files... just a guess on my part though, and what we may think as a non boot may just be lack of patience on our part or human nature if you will.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #4
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Entirely possible, but both my Touch and my Glo were running 2.5.2 and it didn't take any length of time when I updated the Glo to 2.6.1... I left the Touch for a good number of minutes on the completely blank screen thinking it might be doing something.

To put it in proper technical terminology, something got buggered up!

I do wish they'd have sense enough to pop up a message if they're doing something time consuming with no progress indication during an update... if they can't indicate time, at least a message or a message with a heartbeat so you know it's alive and not stuck.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote