Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Writer2ePub

Notices

Old 08-20-2013, 02:13 AM   #31
eBookLuke
Writer2ePub creator
eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: Cybook Bebook iLiad Kindle HanlinV2 Readius SonyPRS500 SonyPRS700 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
…I'm still learning about all that style stuff…
A correct using of styles is very important to create a well formatted document, and make easy to convert it in a good EPUB. Please read:
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Docu...tion_to_Styles and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM_EVtyU2iM

Luke
eBookLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #32
arjaybe
Guru
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by eBookLuke View Post
A correct using of styles is very important to create a well formatted document, and make easy to convert it in a good EPUB. Please read:
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Docu...tion_to_Styles and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM_EVtyU2iM

Luke
Thanks, those were interesting. Fortunately, I learned enough about styles to use Heading 1 in my novel (Green Comet.) That gave me a consistent formatting and allowed indexing of the chapters. At least, I think that's what it did.-) You can download the epub and check it out if you want to see how your extension worked.

rjb
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #33
arjaybe
Guru
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Luke

Did you check out Green Comet? What do you think of the formatting? Does it look as if I used writer2epub correctly?

rjb
Old 08-23-2013, 03:54 AM   #34
weedfreak
Addict
weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: calibre
I checked out the epub and in Sigil get this on opening
Quote:
Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0048.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0040.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0041.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0019.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0039.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0044.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0025.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0005.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0043.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0013.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0012.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0021.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: w2e.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0009.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0002.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0007.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0023.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0010.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0001.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0046.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0011.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0014.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0031.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0029.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0008.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0042.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0032.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0027.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0026.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0022.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0034.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0033.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0018.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0016.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0004.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0006.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0038.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0003.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0028.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0035.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0020.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0017.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0037.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0045.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0047.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0030.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0036.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0015.xhtml

Cannot perform HTML updates since the file is not well formed: content0024.xhtml
Trying to switch to book view gives ths error
Code:
The operation you requested cannot be performed because content0003.xhtml is not a well-formed XML document.
An error was found at or above line 3: unsupported protocol in URL.
Changing lines 2 and 3 on every page to
Code:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
solves that problem.

Why do you have span class bold inside every H1 tag? Is it not easier to have the bold attribute set in the H1 style in the css then you do not need to have it in 48 chapter headings, the same with inserting a blank line after each H1, the css has under H1 margin bottom set to 2 em if you need three lines then change the margin bottom to 3 em. By adding the <p>&nbsp;</p> line between the H1 and the first line of text you negate the first line indent setting the same thing happens where you use the <p>&nbsp;</p> as a section break, you lose the first line indent setting of the next line. You need to place <div> tags around the <p>&nbsp;</p>. Apart from H1 you do not appear to be using any styles, why not use H1 for titles, H3 for chapter headings, why not do something interesting with chapter beginings like drop caps anything is better than just making the first two words bold.

Hope this helps you.
weedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:30 AM   #35
eBookLuke
Writer2ePub creator
eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.

Hi Weedfreak,

the problem you report is caused by a bold direct formatting inside the headers. Is a good practice to use no direct formatting, but use paragraph and charachter styles when needed.
Anyway, please update your W2E extension to the latest 1.1.25 that solves the problem you report.

Luke
Advert
Old 08-23-2013, 11:56 AM   #36
weedfreak
Addict
weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

This is not my problem, it is with the ebook arjaybe produced, see post 33. I think he was using 1.1.25.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #37
arjaybe
Guru

Yes, Heading 1 is the only style thing I used. I used it for the chapter titles with the understanding that it would help the formatting and create a table of contents. I set the typeface large and bold to set it off against the rest of the text. I also added a linefeed between the chapter title and the text for the same reason.

As for bolding the first two words of each section within the chapter, I like to present the story in bite-sized chunks. This all feels natural to me and I had no idea that it would cause problems.

Should I be looking at my Heading 1 settings and changing the way the typeface is set? Should I drop the linefeed and increase the below paragraph setting.

I'm using 1.1.16. I'll get 1.1.25.

rjb
Old 08-30-2013, 03:42 AM   #38
weedfreak
Addict

As I pointed out the paragraph settings are different for the fist paragraph, in yours the first paragraph is <p>&nbsp;</p> so you do not see the first paragraph differently indented.

h1 has a style in the css that is the correct place to set everything you need, it is then in one place if you need to change it you only need to change it once not every place you used it in the book.

Yes h1 will help with formatting and toc creation, so will h2 and h3 which will give you variety of styles, there is so much more you can do with styles.

As for boldening the first two words, it does not cause a problem, it is just something I do not like, it is all personal preferences, if you like it that way then go with it, it might be an idea to set a style for it though. The first thing I do with any ebook before I read it is remove the toc, I find it pointless in a novel, and remove what I think is distracting formatting, while I am at it I usually correct spelling errors. You have some of those to, but I did not bother to much about them as you were asking for formatting tips.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:28 PM   #39
arjaybe
Guru

Thank you, weedfreak. I guess I didn't see the problem since my procedure is to convert the text and see if it looks good in the reader. I don't go deeper with applications like Sigil since I found that edits by Sigil made the story unreadable in my particular ereader. I guess I'm guilty of being satisfied with "good enough."

Would you mind telling me what spelling errors you found? Maybe in a PM, to not hijack this thread. I combed through the book pretty thoroughly, but I don't doubt there are things I missed.

Thanks again,

rjb
Old 12-01-2013, 08:29 PM   #40
happyjon
Enthusiast
happyjon began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by eBookLuke View Post
Please use the form in the page http://lukesblog.it/writerepub/
If you don't read Italian, please choose your preferred language in the drop-down menu at the top right of the page

Luke
Hi Luke, I don't want to sound ungrateful. as you've been very helpful, but I found Libre frequently crashed when I tried to make an e-book. This was extremely frustrating as, being new to the subject, I wanted to create numerous test e-books, so I could see the results and learn how to get it right, but I was frequently frustrated by Libre crashing during e-book conversion from odt. Then I heard of 2epub, http://www.2epub.com which has never let me down. It's fast and converts from doc or odt, and several other formats, to epub or mobi. I was able to do e-book tests as much as I liked, knowing the conversion process would always go smoothly, so I could concentrate on learning about that.
So while I appreciate the help you gave, 2epub is all I need.
happyjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:36 PM   #41
forster01
Groupie
forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle, Amazon Fire HD
does beta works with apache OO?

and if it is no much trouble, the beta version, changes italics to normal text.
also, it would be nice to have split before h1/h2 instead of 150kb feature, like in the normal version.

Last edited by forster01; 01-25-2014 at 03:44 PM.
forster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:42 PM   #42
eBookLuke
Writer2ePub creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by forster01 View Post
does beta works with apache OO?
Ehm…uhm… no, I don't believe it… But I found a solution to make extension compatible with pre and post 4.x, just wait…

Quote:
and if it is no much trouble, the beta version, changes italics to normal text.
it changes only italic with direct formatting, not italic based on emphasis character style…
Quote:
also, it would be nice to have split before h1/h2 instead of 150kb feature, like in the normal version.
You can split headings by adding "break before" in the text flow properties of the style H1 or H2. Otherwise you can add a page break just where you need it. Each page break cause a split in the file…

Anyway, is just a beta

I wish to restart the development, adding many new features in the version 2, including epub3 creation

Luke
Old 01-26-2014, 05:57 PM   #43
forster01
Groupie
forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle, Amazon Fire HD
Thank you for the tool! fantastic one. im using beta in libre office and normal one in apache OO, and then i make epub by both tools and then combine.. at the end of making epub with beta tool it always break at the end, after it makes epub. But it si fine with me
Looking forward for updates of both.
forster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:12 AM   #44
eBookLuke
Writer2ePub creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by forster01 View Post
Thank you for the tool!
Please register to the newsletter, you'll be advice for new releases.
http://writer2epub.it/newsletter/

Luke

Last edited by eBookLuke; 07-11-2014 at 03:25 PM.