Notices

Old 03-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
Hedaya
Connoisseur
Hedaya began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 612
e-reader recommendation

Hello,

I was hoping to get some help. First off, love the product (even donated, I hope you guys keep it up and keep it open sourced).

Anyhoo, I have epub books that I can read in calibre but not on my nook (yes, that was definitely a mistake purchase).

The main problem is a font issue. It's in Arabic. But it does read in calibre, so I know conceptually, there must be an e-reader somewhere that can work. Any recommendations? preferably e-ink?

I know it's not entirely a calibre question, but I'm not nearly as good with these things, and every time I say "it's in Arabic" or something, it's like I've admitted to being a leper. =)
Hedaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I believe a SONY is your best bet. There is custom firmware available for the SONY and you can replace the fonts on the device, to support Arabic. Go for a slightly older model, not the latest T1, as they have had longer for the custom firmware to be developed.

You may actually be able to do the same thing with a nook, you can try asking in the Nook forum.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
Hedaya
Connoisseur

Well, I asked on the nook forum, and no one responded. (and don't even think about asking their "tech" support, what a joke!)

Does the sony come with e-ink technology? (i.e. not a color reader)

(p.s. thank you thank you!! =) )

Last edited by Hedaya; 03-16-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
Hedaya
Connoisseur

Well, thanx either way, I'm looking into the sony....
Old 03-16-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
You might try embedding the font into the epub.

One (relatively) simple way is to convert the book to lrf, selecting lrf output and selecting the font to embed. Then if the lrf looks ok in calibre viewer convert the lrf to epub. (select lrf in input format upper left in conversion dialog)

Also can be done othe ways

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedaya View Post
Does the sony come with e-ink technology? (i.e. not a color reader)
Yes, the PRS-T1 uses the same Pearl screen as the current Nook, Kobo and Kindle eInk devices.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 03-16-2012 at 02:12 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #7
ElsieC
Zealot
ElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmos

Device: Sony PRS-505
I found this older thread about this problem, I am not sure if the solutions in it still apply

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80130
ElsieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #8
Hedaya
Connoisseur

SO, I tried going LRF to epub, and that didn't work, I got a Sony (no one seems to carry the PRS-500 any more, and I didn't think the PRS-300 would work for what I need.

Maybe I'm just not smart enough for e-readers?? I can get the zoom to work (silly me, at first I thought it was going to have an icon, then I realized, it's just via touching the screen, but I'm still trying to figure out how to embed a font, and for some reason, calibre doesn't "realize" i have this device plugged in.

Last edited by Hedaya; 03-16-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:26 PM   #9
Hedaya
Connoisseur

Sorry, I know I'm asking so many questions, but I've been trying for a year (believe it or not) to make it in e-reader land. :-( Mostly fighting with my nook, until now, I'm just so annoyed with them.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #10
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
You aren't asking too many questions. No questions no answers.

Did the lrf display in the calibre viewer? If so perhaps post it as I do not have any arabic fonts so couldn't try it on my Sony readers but I could try yours.

What Sony did you buy? I don't think that anyone expected you to get less than a 350/650 and a PRST1 should really be fine.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:43 PM   #11
Hedaya
Connoisseur

Yes, EVERYTHING displays fine in the calibre viewer: LRF, epub, it all works. Now, if only I can get it to work in the e-reader.....

I tried embedding a font, but either I don't understand the directions OR it doesn't work for this model....

But they don't read in the "reader for pc" so I figure if I solve one problem, I solve the other.....

I got a PRS-T1.

Last edited by Hedaya; 03-16-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:48 PM   #12
PaulPosition
Enthusiast
PaulPosition began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Potential trouble is, unless I'm mistaken, Arabic is read from right to left (right, Hedaya?). I have no idea if any of the native languages for those devices are made for that (and your previous experiences seems to indicate : not yet.)

One potential solution, if your at ease with technology, would be to 'root' your device (Sony T1, or a good lot of different Nooks, see the Nook forum) to a complete Android build and use an application such as FBReader (the regular version supports right-to-left languages, I *suppose* the Android version might as well) or a specialized one (there's a 'Arabic epub reader' app for sale on the android market at about 2.50$ and I'm sure there's a lot of others but then I don't read Arabic and the descriptions ARE in Arabic
PaulPosition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:53 PM   #13
Hedaya
Connoisseur

That could be true, but I'm not entirely sure, b/c it seems some users have indeed had success with it, at least for some other eastern languages. And I guess what gives me hope is the fact it reads fine in calibre.

I HAVE seen discussion on rooting, but I'm unclear as to how to do it, AND my fear is doing it and still not having my device work. I read something about "tricking" my device via renaming the font, but that requires buying yet more software, and after a while, I start running into a diminishing return. :S
Old 03-16-2012, 10:25 PM   #14
PaulPosition
Enthusiast
PaulPosition began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Could you provide us with a small-ish epub, one that has embedded fonts and works in Calibre viewer, so that I can test it on my rooted T1 ?

Obviously couldn't read it, but I'm pretty sure I can recognize structured writing from character-set wrangling
PaulPosition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:29 PM   #15
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Its not just about reading from right to left so renaming fonts wont help. Arabic scripture has joined letters and unless the device supports it using arabic fonts wont fix it. Their is a step by step process on Xda to get arabic on Nook Touch. I have given the link in your what to buy post.

Quote:
I HAVE seen discussion on rooting, but I'm unclear as to how to do it, AND my fear is doing it and still not having my device work. I read something about "tricking" my device via renaming the font, but that requires buying yet more software, and after a while, I start running into a diminishing return. :S
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote