Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-11-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
Bluetooth - closer yet.

There is some new progress on the bluetooth development for the Nook Color:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...897934&page=18
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:31 AM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Hey Krypto! Haven't seen you around.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2011, 09:25 AM   #3
RoboRay
Zealot
RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor (CM7); OLPC XO (Ubuntu 8.10); HTC Thunderbolt (CM7)
It's here! CM7 on the NookColor has usable Bluetooth. It's still a work-in-progress with limited range (only a few feet), but is available and working.

There's even a bootable SD-card version for those who aren't ready to clobber their stock system to test it out: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=989637

Last edited by RoboRay; 03-12-2011 at 09:28 AM.
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:45 AM   #4
apeine
Enthusiast
apeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook STR
Does this bluetooth allow use of external BT keyboard? That would be top of cool for NC.
apeine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:33 AM   #5
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by apeine View Post
Does this bluetooth allow use of external BT keyboard? That would be top of cool for NC.
Yes, there have been numerous reports of people successfully using a BT keyboard with the NC.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2011, 12:24 PM   #6
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Yeah, it needs some more development time for stability, compatibility, and range.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:29 PM   #7
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
From what I've heard, range may be an insurmountable issue as there seems to be a possibility that the antenna pins for the part of the chip that supports the BT function may not be connected.

But it's early yet, so who knows. It's got that perfect blend of openness and hidden capabilities that dev communities love.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:04 PM   #8
KryptoNyte
Shepherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Hey Krypto! Haven't seen you around.
Hi, Scion! I have to admit, I'm not much of a reader, unless you include technical manuals. I ended up purchasing the Virgin Mobile Optimus V smartphone for 130 bucks, and that's been fun to fool with. It's a pretty sweet deal with $40/mo no-contract, unlimited data/txt/email and 1200 talk minutes.

I installed the "Quick Settings" app on the smartphone and have the NC tethered to it. The 3G on Virgin Mobile's network has been less than impressive, so hopefully that will improve as they work on the network (I believe it's just using Sprint's network).

Another guy wrote an app called TetherGPS, and I now have the $5 GPS app "Copilot" running on the NC, tethered to the smartphone's GPS via the wireless tether, and then linked with TetherGPS. Copilot's certainly not the best GPS I've used, but it's functional I guess.

If the NC's internal FM radio was actually functional, I'd probably already have it mounted in the car.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:10 PM   #9
KryptoNyte
Shepherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
From what I've heard, range may be an insurmountable issue as there seems to be a possibility that the antenna pins for the part of the chip that supports the BT function may not be connected.

But it's early yet, so who knows. It's got that perfect blend of openness and hidden capabilities that dev communities love.
BT/wireless use the same antenna - it just needs more developer fiddling.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:10 AM   #10
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
BT/wireless use the same antenna - it just needs more developer fiddling.
Yup. A tear down confirmed the antenna is connected.

The problem is that wi-fi and bluetooth inherently interfere with each other, both being on the same frequency band. Technically, they're not supposed to (BT should hop frequency to to avoid the wi-fi interference...something like that for wi-fi also...). But realistically they can and do interfere with each other, especially at very close ranges.

Typically in computer hardware implementations that have wi-fi and BT on the same chip, they set up the BT and Wi-fi to basically alternate broadcasting/frequency hop at high rates to avoid interfering with each other (best simple explanation I can make of it). So far though disabling wi-fi didn't help much...so probably something else at work here.

This is what I've been waiting for to justify moving from my rooted 1.0.0 setup. I kinda like the B&N launcher since I read on the NC pretty regularly...but it sounds like it's time to try CM7. Will work on it later this week / nexxt week, especially if they manage to improve the range at all.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 03-14-2011 at 12:13 AM.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote