Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-08-2010, 02:29 PM   #1
amurricanabroad
amurricanabroad began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (thinking about it)
Kindle 3 - 24 hours in...

I received my Kindle yesterday and despite crazy jetlag from having just arrived in the U.S. from Europe I downloaded Calibre and started testing out my new gadget.

I love it so far! I checked out Project Gutenberg and pulled something from my "to read" list, popped it into Calibre for the metadata, and sent it to my device. Super easy. I'm now reading "The Importance of Being Earnest" and laughing my ass off. As an English teacher I really like the highlighting and noting features so I can mark important or funny passages in case I end up teaching the play. For myself, the noting makes me a more active and engaged reader.

Now I'm thinking about cases. I definitely want a non-leather case, but I can't decide between the Trip Jacket and the Latitude Jacket from M-Edge. The Latitude seems best because it zips up and will keep the Kindle protected all around, but it seems really foamy and like it might be cumbersome to hold while reading. For that the Trip Jacket seems best.

Anyone have any thoughts on which is best?

Trip Jacket: http://www.medgestore.com/products/kindle3-trip.psp
Latitude Jacket: http://www.medgestore.com/products/kindle3-latitude.psp

I also can't decide on the reading light. I'm having trouble imagining a time when I'll actually use it.
amurricanabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:39 PM   #2
caryanne2
caryanne2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
I have the Latitude M-edge case for my DX and I love it. It's not foamy or spongy at all. The outside is a canvas type material, with something firm (thin cardboard?) inside, and then the fleece type material inside. With my DX in the cover, it is about 3/4 of an inch thick
caryanne2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2010, 02:44 PM   #3
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
glad you love your kindle ,
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:48 PM   #4
sweevo
Groupie
sweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by amurricanabroad View Post

I love it so far! I checked out Project Gutenberg and pulled something from my "to read" list
You should, as a rule, first check if a book is available here. The content and formatting tend to be better:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13582
sweevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:27 PM   #5
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
The exterior of the Latitude Jacket (per M-Edge) is rip-stop nylon. It seem more like a ballistic nylon to me. It's very lightweight and durable, not "foamy", and it's very easy to read with the jacket on. The M-Edge e-Luminator2 light works well with this M-Edge jacket.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2010, 05:32 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
amurricanabroad, for free PB books, start here first. Formatting is done by hand, errors resolved, and extraneous pages removed by our own members.

Click on the link below for more info....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:38 PM   #7
amurricanabroad
amurricanabroad began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (thinking about it)
Thanks for the tips, folks! I've never looked at a book from PG before. So far the play is looking pretty clear of errors, but I'm also not too far into it.
amurricanabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:27 PM   #8
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Definitely check for the books here even if you find them on PG. I find most all of the books here to be better formatted and corrected.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:51 AM   #9
HelenaJole
Connoisseur
HelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweevo View Post
You should, as a rule, first check if a book is available here. The content and formatting tend to be better:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13582
I've tried to edit the metadata on some of these books in Calibre (since none of the ones I've downloaded have anything in the "author" space) but it says they're encrypted. I thought the point of these was that they're public domain, so why are they encrypted?
HelenaJole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #10
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Hello, amurricanabroad. I replied to you in another thread. Glad to read that you have made your purchase now and are very happy with it!

Lights are a very personal decision depending on where you read and your eyesight. I used to use a reading light in bed because the light from my nightstand lamp didn't provide enough illumination of the screen. However, with the contrast of the new eink screens, I am pleased that I don't need one anymore. Therefore, the only time I use a light now is when I'm on an airplane. I have a clip-on Book Owl light that I bought in the check-out area of Borders. It is flexible and folds-up small so it fits easily in my handbag when I'm traveling. Target also sells booklights in the electronics department near their ereader displays. Mighty Bright is another popular brand that you can easily find in bookstores or on Amazon. You might want to stop by one of these stores before you head back overseas.

Feedbooks.com is another good source for public domain books. I like the way they format their ebooks.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:01 PM   #11
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
And if it's not here, try Manybooks.net or Feedbooks.com

PG should pretty much be your last resort, at least it is for me
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:53 AM   #12
Jcas
Zealot
Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle PW2,Kindle DXG,iPhone 4
I have the M-Edge latitude jacket on the K3 and it is fantastic.
Jcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:28 AM   #13
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
The exterior of the Latitude Jacket (per M-Edge) is rip-stop nylon. It seem more like a ballistic nylon to me. It's very lightweight and durable, not "foamy", and it's very easy to read with the jacket on. The M-Edge e-Luminator2 light works well with this M-Edge jacket.

Completely agree Tom, we have just purchased that very combination for my Wife's K3, It works brilliantly and looks great,

I'm waiting on my Executive also from M-Edge, I have one for my Sony too, Had CONSIDERED a lovely Oberon, but the Postage cost more than DOUBLED the already high price .... to rich for our Bank Manager
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:48 PM   #14
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
I have been waiting (and waiting) for the Capital Jacket to be released so that I can have a cover that zips and stores the light inside. I am getting tired of waiting, though. For those of you who use the illuminator light with the latitude, where do you store the light when you are not using it?

And ammuricanabroad, I second (third, fourth) the folks here. For free, out-of-copyright books, I look here and feedbooks first. If that doesn't work, I look at manybooks.net. Finally, if they don't have it, I look at Project Gutenberg. MobileRead and Feedbooks have the best formatting. Feedbooks seems to have the metadata configured for sorting more often than MobileRead for some reason, but MobileRead often has images etc. in their books. Both of these sources do more proofreading than Manybooks.

Happy reading,

k4k
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote